Houzz Logo Print
audra_arenas

Kitchen Granite Indecision

Audra Arenas
hace 5 años

I am having a new home built. The builder provides small samples of granite. I love Fantasy Brown and my husband loves Colonial Gold. My cabinets will be white, light grey tile floor in the kitchen and cafe area and medium brown color for the hand scraped wood floors in the living. This is an open floor plan. The builder doesn't have all of the backsplash samples yet. I am really hoping for subway tile.

I think the Colonial Gold doesn't go with my grey and white color scheme. He's afraid there's too much brown in Fantasy Brown. LOL.

This picture is the kitchen design. Right now, I'm in granite hell and cannot decide.

Comentarios (19)

• jck910
    hace 5 años

I agree neither would be my choice for a gray & white scheme. Plus the Fantasy Brown is wild and you may tire of that quickly

Audra Arenas agradeció a jck910
  • Audra Arenas
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Luna Pearl, New Caledonia, Azul Platino, Dallas White, Kashmire White and Black Pearl are my other choices.

• Audra Arenas
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

I've read that the two whites stain easily though.

• mark_rachel
    hace 5 años

Colonial Gold can have some really really gold rivers in it, so that it's going to work with your colors. FB could work, but probably not the best choice. Make sure you look at the ENTIRE slab before you make a decision. A small sample can be very deceiving & you might not be happy with the end result even though you like the small sample.

Audra Arenas agradeció a mark_rachel
  • mark_rachel
    hace 5 años

The picture you posted looks like Colonial Gold to me & the backsplash is not a good choice at all for that stone.

• kariyava
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Fantasy Brown could look good depending on whether your gray flooring/choices are cool or warm grays. Alaska White/White Knight could be good too. I would take a sample of your flooring to stone yards and see what looks good with it.

Colonial Gold is way too warm to pair with a gray. Could you compromise and put Colonial Gold in a bathroom and choose warmer colors to pair with it?

Don't worry about backsplash until you figure out the granite issue.

Audra Arenas agradeció a kariyava
  • mark_rachel
    hace 5 años

I have white granite & it doesn't stain at all (knock on wood).

• PRO
    Heart of the Home
    hace 5 años

Audra, I think you might want to consider upgrading your granite to a color that will make you happy. All those colors you listed as options are not going to give you the look you're after. White River would be a good choice for what you are describing. Good luck in your search!

Audra Arenas agradeció a Heart of the Home
  • N R
    hace 5 años
    If you have white cabinets and gray floor maybe try Soapstone. I'm not sure that the color scheme that your looking at compliments your kitchen. I also think that sometimes granite can look busy, especially with an open concept.
    Audra Arenas agradeció a N R
  • Audra Arenas
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Heart of the Home, White River is my dream choice in granite but my builder doesn't have it. :( I may be out of luck here. I have gone back to my builder and changed my granite choice 3 times now. I'm sure he's getting sick of me but I'm spending a good deal of money so I don't care. I wish they had more choices.

Thanks everyone for your advice, truly appreciated!

• N R
    hace 5 años
    Is it possible for your builder to give you a budget, and anything over that is on you, as long as he will still install it at no charge. This way after such an expense of having a home built you get exactly what you want and are happy with it.
    Audra Arenas agradeció a N R
  • Audra Arenas
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

That's a great idea N R and it certainly doesn't hurt to ask!

• Mrs. Gopher #BringBackSophie
    hace 5 años

White River is also known as Fantasy Brown (sometimes)

Also, if your colors are white and greys, im not sure either one would go with it. Try Jet Mist (polished or honed), Blue Flower, or maybe Tuape Grey which has both greys and browns

Audra Arenas agradeció a Mrs. Gopher #BringBackSophie
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 5 años

I can't help with the stone decision, but whatever you do, don't let them install that double bowl sink. Everyone hates them. Single bowl or low divide at least.

• friedajune
    hace 5 años

Can you ask that builder to square off the island ends? The double arrow is not a good look, and inefficient and impractical. Yes, I know it's not what you asked, but I can't help myself. Also I agree with Joseph about the sink. The sink pictured looks too small for a double bowl configuration. Neither side will be big enough to wash anything larger than a dessert dish.

• PRO
    Heart of the Home
    hace 5 años

Audra, is this a custom home? If this is fully custom, tell your builder to either use another supplier to get the material you want or ask for an allowance. If this is a semi-custom home (like where the builder owns the whole subdivision and has several plans to choose from) I would suggest down grading to laminate and not doing any backsplash. After you close, tear out the laminate and pay for the granite you really want and then do your tile backsplash.

• PRO
    Nandina Home & Design
    hace 5 años

Perhaps pick a different granite since neither one would work well with grey and white.

Woodside Model Home · Más información

• wildcatblue
    hace 5 años
    Have you considered quartz? Lots of options and more popular than granite now due to low maintenance.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.