Houzz Logo Print
carrma30

Replace decking or entire deck?

carrma30
hace 5 años

I have a 19 year-old pressure treated deck. I planned to remove the old pressure treated decking to replace rotting deck boards, improve aesthetics and reduce maintenance. While the old decking is removed, I plan to add a Dek Drain system before replacing decking with PVC. Given the deck is nearly 20 years old and I am already investing in a drain system and new decking, would it be wise to replace the entire deck? The joists seem to be in good shape with no apparent rotting. I would welcome any advice.

Comentarios (8)

• carrma30
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thank you for your advice. Didn’t want to try to tackle rebuilding the subframe.
  • User
    hace 5 años

Inspect any points where the PT framing touches or connects to concrete/dirt. Or where water could collect and stay until evaporated. Those will be the trouble spots with PT lumber.

• carrma30
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thanks HandyMac. I’ve been removing decking and looks like I may have some intermittent rot on the joists so may need to replace a few joists. Appreciate your advice. Many thanks!
  • User
    hace 5 años

We make a butyl joist tape for flashing deck joists and beams called Imus Seal.

• carrma30
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thank you for the advice!
  • PRO
    Decks & Patio Covers
    hace 5 años

Read the installation instruction for the PVC deck you decide to work with. From my experience PVC decking feel better on 12" center framing. We always tear out the frames and start with a new, flat, and properly constructed frame. Old frames take significant amounts of work and time to prepare for a quality installation. The frame is a critical aspect of having a good looking end product. Do it right, it will last a lifetime.

• carrma30
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Greatly appreciate the advice!
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.