Houzz Logo Print
karen_davis44

In cupboard bins

Karen Davis
hace 5 años
Just wondering how many have opted for a bin in a cupboard and possibly regretted it. my friend has said she regrets getting hers because it smells, plus it uses up a cupboard space. She does have a waste disposal as well and we will have one in our new kitchen.

Comentarios (30)

• Daisy England
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Interesting question. In all our fitting time for kitchens we have only ever been asked on 2 occasions to fit one. There are an assortment available for different wastes which in my opinion reduces the size of the bin considerably. For instance having 3 sections will only provide you with very small individual bins. They aren't cheap either. Each to their own idea but personally I'd rather have a standard bin planned in somewhere.

Karen Davis agradeció a Daisy England
  • Karen Davis
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

That is our opinion but having to consider where we could put the bin.

• Emily
    hace 5 años
    Ever since my mother had a fitted bin 30 years ago I think they are great. And I’ve no idea why people have smelly indoor bins. I’m not a clean freak at all but my indoor bin never smells! I wash it out only a few times a year and have never put a bin freshener in that when I see down the supermarket cleaning aisle I still wonder what they are for. A freestanding bin looks fine in some kitchens but if your going for streamlined then I think they stick out.
  • Laura Thomas
    hace 5 años
    To hide our boiler and the pipe work running down the wall, we fitted a carcass designed for a integrated fridge/freezer - we fitted a second hand kitchen so had to work with what there was.
    It means that we had a large space at the bottom in which we have stood a regular freestanding bin alongside brooms/mops.
    Everything is removable for boiler servicing, plus it has stopped our beagle opening the bin and emptying the contents on the floor.
    I have a small food recycling bin fitted in the under sink cabinet, which is on a pullout runner. When prepping food, peelings etc can just be swept off the worktop straight in to the bin below.
  • Resh
    hace 5 años

Had one in the last house, hated it as it was too small. This time we have two standalone bins with electric flip up lids, tucked in at the end of the island. Both houses had a sink waste disposal system too for food waste, which largely saves you from smelly bins. We also try to buy stuff that doesn't come in plastic (so butcher/fishmonger/veg shop - you can e-mail our local ones ahead and order, so whilst not as convenient as online delivery or just visiting one supermarket, it's not too bad. A lot cheaper too), which means you cut down on bin space and waste quite a bit.

• Gina Anderson
    hace 5 años
    I had a bin in a pull out cupboard at my old house and it did smell but I didn't have a waste disposal unit. I have a standalone bin at the moment but will definitely be getting a pull out one again (as well as a waste disposal unit!) - I know you can get 'posh' bins which aren't a total eyesore but honestly I'd far rather have it hidden from sight!
  • Carolina
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

I have IKEA fitted bins on a pull out drawer that you can easily mount inside a cabinet. I don’t have an IKEA kitchen, but they fit in loads of other brands too. They don’t cost a lot and work well. We have them under the sink. Also had them in previous kitchen. The bins are small, but that’s not a problem for us. Only smell if you clean a pineapple or onions. Easily solved by emptying them.

If you have enough space in a cabinet, you could have four bins: regular waste, plastic, vegetable/fruit and paper for example.

• Jonathan
    hace 5 años
    I have never understood people spending £thousands on a lovely new kitchen to clutter it with a big bin.
    I say hide it away and empty it often enough to avoid smells.
  • PRO
    Spencer Marchand
    hace 5 años

I would say over the last 5years, 99% of the kitchens we have designed, incorporate the ECO pull out bins. As mentioned in some of the above posts, this is because people don't want the eye-sore of a big bulky freestanding bin in the room. It's just slightly tweaking how you use it on an everyday basis. For instance, the ECO bins we install have a separate food container, which people generally empty into an outside bin every two days to eradicate any unpleasant smells. I hope this helps and re-assures you that pull out bins are getting more and more common within the modern kitchen environment. Thanks, Spencer Marchand Kitchens.

• PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 5 años
    In the last 33 years - I’d say the majority of Kitchens I have designed have had fitted bins - in the last few years two bin cabinets are the norm - one for food and general waste and one for recycling.
    ( ironically I have a Westco !)
  • obobble
    hace 5 años
    Our joiner adapted a 40 cm base cupboard for a large flat top bin. He made a base from mdf, mounted it on pan drawer runners and attached the door. It's great, we have a full size bin which the dogs can't get to. Same arrangement used for a dog food storage bin in utility, but equally good for mixed recycling if you're in an area where it all gets collected together.
  • Karen Davis
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thank you for all your comments, we are meeting with one of the designers we are considering this week so will look at the options.

• kikiamack
    hace 5 años
    We have 2 30litre bins in a 400mm cupboard, which I think is a great use of space. There is a “shelf” about an inch down from the top of the cupboard inside and I think this is what stops the bin smelling as it acts as a kind of internal lid. Also, I tend to give cans and meat packaging a quick rinse under the tap before putting in the bin. Another upside for me of a built in bin is that I can scrape peelings or flour etc straight into the bin from my prep area.
    Karen Davis agradeció a kikiamack
  • Carolina
    hace 5 años

Ah, see... I commented above about the only smelly things being pineapple and onion, but we are vegetarians. No meat and fish go into us or into our bins. That probably makes quite a difference too.

Karen Davis agradeció a Carolina
  • Daisy England
    hace 5 años

Smelly items like garlic, fish and onions should automatically be bagged and binned outside.

Karen Davis agradeció a Daisy England
  • A B
    hace 5 años
    We are too Carolina :).
    Karen Davis agradeció a A B
  • PRO
    ARC Bespoke Interiors
    hace 5 años

Kitchens integrated bins, do also come with lids, i think that should solve the dilemma, if the bin has a lid, it should not be any difference between a free standing bin, i agree with above bag up smelly rubbish and tie a knot

Karen Davis agradeció a ARC Bespoke Interiors
  • Carolina
    hace 5 años

The ikea ones have lids

• PRO
    ARC Bespoke Interiors
    hace 5 años

carolina

it seems like your a great fan off ikea

• PRO
    ARC Bespoke Interiors
    hace 5 años

do you work for them or there

• Carolina
    hace 5 años

Lol, nope, but I feel they should be paying me :-) I am a fan, up to a certain point.

• Carolina
    hace 5 años

The thing is, for our previous kitchen we bought ridiculously expensive integrated bins from the kitchen supplier. They broke after a couple of years. Then we bought new, also very expensive ones. They broke too. The 'you know who'-ones, are much, much cheaper and work just as well, if not better. Hence my enthusiasm.

• PRO
    ARC Bespoke Interiors
    hace 5 años

Ikea's: products are engineered,to a high standards, they do put a lot of thoughts to there products, not all of there product are good (not the best) some of them i do get supprised from them and they are priced well

• PRO
    ARC Bespoke Interiors
    hace 5 años

carolina:

do you think i can join you on there pay roll !!!

• Laura Thomas
    hace 5 años
    I’m also a Ikea fan! Our under sink pullout is an Ikea one.
    The cost of the fancy internal extras in fitted kitchens from some of the well known kitchen companies are ludicrous prices, but I guess that’s so they can have 50-75% off sales all the time!
    Karen Davis agradeció a Laura Thomas
  • Angie
    hace 5 años
    In our previous house we had Ikea in cupboard bins. They are covered when closed and were brilliant. We collected all vegetable waste for the compost heap and had no issues with smells. The bins are not too big so regular emptying also helps keep smells at bay.
    We don't have fitted bins in this house but have a good looking bin ftom Dumo (I think) which has two compartments, 2/3 recycling (We can recycle everything together here) 1/3 landfill. We have a separate food waste bin and have no smells. Anyway, if I had cupboard space I'd probably go back to an Ikea bin but that'll have to wait until kitchen gets redone one day!
    Karen Davis agradeció a Angie
  • LTS
    hace 5 años
    Love our integrated rubbish & recycling bins. Kids love emptying them...fingers crossed that will last!
  • GardenFairyGodmother GFG
    hace 5 años
    I got 2 Simply Human pull out cupboard bins from Argos. ( They fit into a standard double base unit, which has a single drawer above it.) One for general rubbish and the other for recycling. I also have a counter top compost bin for peelings. It does mean opening cupboard door, sliding it out just to scrape a plate . I do miss the convenience of a pedal bin.
  • PRO
    Zeta Interiors
    hace 5 años

Hi Karen,

I have never had a client complaining about any smell from the pull out bins.

Maybe it's just a case of not emptying their bin often enough?

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.