Houzz Logo Print
plntdoc

Porch problem

plntdoc
hace 10 años
Ok, I hope this works this time

I have an 1884 Victorian farmhouse and the front porch height was added to over the years. It is pitched the wrong way so I have to change it. I want to keep the 2 historic bluestone steps, but I was thinking about T & G Ipe with black painted Newel posts and rails. Any suggestions?

Comentarios (12)

• houssaon
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    Another full shot of the front would be helpful.

I like your idea, but can't you just take off the top layer of the porch and lay a new one with the corrected pitch?

How about a pergola across the front? [houzz=
    Montlake · Más información
    Traditional Exterior · Más información
    and
    exterior · Más información
    are some good examples.

Good luck!
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    hace 10 años
    If you really want a porch, go ahead and build it. This is just a small projection.
  • Lanitra Bynum
    hace 10 años
    Yes, just build the projection on out and bring the railings on around, leave an opening lined with the door of course and no pergola style. When people come over and it's raining, they are going to get wet waiting on you to come to the door.
  • libradesigneye
    hace 10 años
    I don't think ipe is going to be a good solution with this style of home - you might as well use colored trex and edge it with this stone if you are reworking it. The stone is the best solution so I would pull it out and relay it so it drains properly. If you are making something bigger, then match your siding color with some decking and edge it with the stone.
  • PRO
    Hufnagel Landscape Design & Construction Group
    hace 10 años
    Agreed with The Color People... Trex is a bad idea in any scenario. Natural wood is the way to go...
    The top is flagstone set in concrete. (Poorly done). My thinking is to rip off the top step, pour a slab to protect against water, then fabricate an Ipe T & G porch pitching it correctly on top and keeping the two stairs of historic bluestone, just resetting them
  • PRO
    FINNE Architects
    hace 10 años
    I would go with bluestone steps and a bluestone porch (pitched properly). You might also consider improving the railing design at each end of the porch.
  • bmargaweiss
    hace 10 años
    An elegant covered front porch that emphasizes the lovely French front doors might be nice, too.
    Photo source: http://www.homerebuilders.com/
  • PRO
    Amy Wax
    hace 10 años
    I completely agree with The Color People. I also professionally consult on exterior color schemes and building issues and I agree with their comment 100%. You have a great house.. keep it that way!
  • pivoines
    hace 10 años
    We need a bigger picture including the whole house , the size of the house is very important to make a judgement on a roof angle, size etc...right now , with what I can see, I think that only changing the small roof to the same pitch as the house is all that is needed, everything else is gorgeous.please add more pics if you want accurate advice.
  • handymam
    hace 10 años
    The only thing I would change is the railings. I am not sure how the pitch is "wrong" but I guess that is just me. I wouldn't have even known it was bad and left it. The stone is beautiful, please don't change it.
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 10 años
    I'm thinking your roof just needs more substantial and more decorative side supports.
    Spanish Cedar Brackets · Más información
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.