Houzz Logo Print
rkozlow7

Change cabinetry to white?

R K
hace 5 años
Which looks better for this kitchen space? The home is traditional with dark brown coffered ceiling in the living room that’s in the same open area.

Comentarios (38)

• Kathi Steele
    hace 5 años

It is a matter of personal preference. I personally like the white better, but that does not mean it looks better.

Also, in the photo, make sure all the cabinets are the same height. Varied height cabinets are "dated".

And the 4" backsplash needs to not be installed. Just a backsplash from countertop to under cabinets.

Where is the fridge? And why is the desk in the middle of the kitchen?

• Conversaciones relacionadas

new kitchen

Q

(0) comentarios
    We have an open floor plan and have placed glossy white tiles ( with a hint of grey veins) through out the living, dining areas, accented with a black border. Contemporary look. Now we need to figure out the kitchen! White tiles, black granite counters n backspash, white cabinets??? I havent seen many Houzz kitchen photos w white floor tiles
    ...Ver más

Palette colors for a kitchen

Q

(1) comentarios
    Hello: There is the topic of using light colors in small and dark spaces in the larger, but ' this does not always work. The kitchens must like everything, make themselves as pleasant as they result to their users. Natural worktops, granite and wooden furniture, always give good results. It looks good, stone countertop or white quartz and oak cabinet. It is also worth a top of oak or imitation and white furniture. Colors can be used all. Preferably soft tones. Realmente todos los colores sirven para una cocina, aunque desaconsejo los colores frios. Hay que tener en cuenta, si se trata de un espacio cerrado, o si debe integrarse al living.
    ...Ver más

complimentary colors

Q

(0) comentarios
    Due to a leak I need to repaint my kitchen, and surrounding walls which leads eventually to my living room . I need HELP to find a color that compliments my CREAM Kitchen cabinets and the living room color which is BERKSHIRE BEIGE. I think I want shade of white to brighten up my kitchen and family room and hopefully compliment the Berkshire Beige (BM paint color).
    ...Ver más

Renovate your space and change your life - Künstler+

Q

(1) comentarios
    Reformar una vivienda no es solamente contratar un paleta o una empresa, sino pensar a los espacios, personalizar estancias, mejorar la distribución, aprovechar cada esquina, en fin, crear algo a medida del cliente, como si fuera un vestido. Por esto la parte previa a la obra, a donde se define cada detalle del proyecto, es fundamental. Contactar con un arquitecto, no solo de garantiza que legalmente hayan todos los permisos y que cada profesional tenga un seguro en vigor, sino que te ahorra futuros dolores de cabeza y te evita problemas de mala ejecución. www,antoniocilea.com
    ...Ver más
  • Bev
    hace 5 años

I disagree with the other two who commented. I love wood and believe it adds warmth to the kitchen. All white can be too sterile and cold looking, but this should be something that you will love and can live with.

• R K
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thanks! Here’s another pic with the fridge and room it opens to. I like the white too, but there’s so much wood to re-paint . It does add warmth with the original, and if we do white then it would need to be an antiqued white/ivory I think. The large piece is the island, there is a small desk in the wall where the pantry is.
  • Tony Montana
    hace 5 años

@kathi, you can take your "dated" and throw it in the trash with your cheap white cabinets. I have even cabinets but I wish they were varied. It makes the kitchen look a lot more custom.

The wood cabinets look way more sophisticated, elegant, and class. Not to mention gives warmth and a more "homey" feeling.

• pennydesign
    hace 5 años

Definitely NOT the white...you have a great kitchen the way it is. Don't cheapen it.

• R K
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Maybe if we change the lights above the island and table, it might modernize it a bit? It’s warm, but needs a pop of something I think
  • Nidnay
    hace 5 años

I have all white kitchen cabinets, but I would not paint those cabs white if that was my kitchen.

• jhmarie
    hace 5 años

I would not paint but I might remove some uppers. There might be some distortion in the picture, but there are more cabinets along one wall then in my whole kitchen:)

If it would not mess up the exterior, remove uppers around the sink and put in another window. Remove uppers on each side of the hood. Remove the center panel on some and replace with glass and use for display.

• Laura Grosmaire
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Have you considered just painting the island in an off white tone?

• thinkdesignlive
    hace 5 años
    I think all wood or all painted is just too much either way....a careful balance of some painted and some wood would help. Definitely need to do a warm tone that comes from the counter/backsplash (not pure white as it will only make your counters and backsplash look way off). If budget allows, a new backsplash would go a long way with updating your kitchen.
    Country Residence · Más información
  • thinkdesignlive
    hace 5 años
    Oakley Home Builders · Más información
  • cac546
    hace 5 años
    I have and love white kitchens but I wouldn't paint those cabinets. Have you thought about adding some runners/rugs to the kitchen in a light color to break up some of the wood?
  • felizlady
    hace 5 años
    RK....you have a beautiful and large kitchen. The lighting is very nice. No changes are needed. You want something to jazz it up a little: a little color or something for a bit of change. Buy some bright kitchen towels, add a rug or two where you stand at the sink or do prep work, or add art of some kind.
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    hace 5 años

Given that the room adjacent to the kitchen is warm-wood toned, I'd keep the cabinets the way they are. There is nothing wrong with that kitchen--save your money and use it elsewhere in the house where you can get more bang for your buck!

• felizlady
    hace 5 años
    Your desk area may be a perfect spot for some art.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 5 años

White, but a bit softer white. I don't love the "I can't make up my mind" feel to the coffering in family room either. Pick a trim. Painted or wood. But pick.

• tfitz1006
    hace 5 años

I would not paint those cabinets but would add some glass doors to open it up a bit. I would also remove stuff up top and the signage above doorways and change the stools and desk chair to something that feels lighter.

• RaiKai
    hace 5 años

I admit a preference for white cabinets but the sneak peaks of the other details in your home to me lead me to say “keep them as is”. Your home has traditional styling - from the living room, to the banister I see peaking in a corner, to the cabinet styles themselves. The cabinets work with it. Embrace the traditional look of your home - “modern” lighting to me won’t fit.

If you really want to lighten it up a bit, consider just painting the island, and the island only, an antique white.

• iheartsix
    hace 5 años
    I love the wood tone in your kitchen, flows nicely into your family room. The fact you have varied cabinet heights makes your kitchen look custom. If it were my kitchen I wouldn't change the color of cabinets but would consider adding glass to a door or two then displaying white dishes (preferably in your own collection as well as vintage pieces such as soup tureen, pouring pitcher, bowls, etc). You could also add white canisters for the countertop. Maybe a mug stand with with cups. The ideas are endless :)
  • PRO
    Stecki Construction
    hace 5 años

Beautiful kitchen! I would keep the wood cabinets, especially since the rest of your house has wood as well. In my opinion, wood cabinets look amazing in the kitchen!

• Kathi Steele
    hace 5 años

Tony, I don't have "cheap white cabinets". They are custom. And to vary cabinet height without rhyme or reason is just plain silly. The OP asked. I answered. Sorry YOU felt offended. It's not about you.

• Tony Montana
    hace 5 años

Kathi, Your white cabinets are cheap trust me. Just because YOU might have paid a lot for the doesn't mean they are quality. Take a picture of the under side and the shelving so I can see what they are made out of. Then I can prove it, or you'll prove me wrong.

• threers
    hace 5 años

You have a kitchen that many would envy...keep the wood and spend your money on color in all three rooms that your photos show....a color you love, but obviously not more brown. Color on the walls, on the floors and in fabric and art. And be sure that the lighting is appropriate to each space and function.

• PRO
    Deb Reinhart Interior Design Group, Inc.
    hace 5 años

All painted white cabinets are not the same-All wood cabinets are not the same. The number 1 kitchen in the country and has been for years is White. We designers understand the appeal-and offer some of the following suggestions for clients who want to keep their cabinets and change the look.

>stain the island a deeper color wood or stain it a color Taupe or gray are time less.

>iNOTE: painting wood is not easy-there is new paint now which discourages chipping. With the sheer size of this kitchen-the solution should match the end use.

> IF the cabinets are painted-and are used heavily-please use a professional who has expertise in this technology. Add some glass top doors and perhaps inset some shelves to update the look. You can make the existing kitchen completely new with the proper combination of expertise and color..

> Minimally-consider color on the walls to pop the wood in ceiling.

• PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    hace 5 años

I personally prefer lighter kitchens, but that doesn't necessarily mean white cabinetry. However, it isn't as simple as that, particularly when people have their stained wood cabinets painted or replace high quality stained cabinets with lesser quality painted cabinetry for a lighter look. You get what you pay for. Quality is everything. This isn't akin to buying a few trendy throw pillows you can give to charity when you're through with them. Good luck to you!

• _sophiewheeler
    hace 5 años

An all white kitchen in the context of that house would look like it landed from Mars. The wood belongs in the home as a whole.

• pink_peony
    hace 5 años

I love white cabinets and always have. Im putting them in my new build. That said the style of these cabinets and every element of that kitchen in the picture looks better with the wood. Especially since the coffered ceiling in the family room is also wood. I had the same cabinets in my last home and as much as I love white I was smart enough to leave them be.

• Tawana Hamby
    hace 5 años

The wood is very inviting but it does have a bit of a "showroom" feel. Easy changes will create the interest you're looking for. I wonder if you painted the stools a distressed black mat and covered them with a colorful fabric; exchanged the fixture above the island for three exposed Edison bulb pendants and possibly removed the top cabinets on the sides of the range and replaced with shelves or textural design pieces (think metal sculptural), you would be more excited about your room? That being said, your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous exactly as it is.

• Shredder
    hace 5 años

Your kitchen is beautiful as is... but if you decide to go white you may want to consider an off white with a coffee or maple stain cabinet to enhance the door detail. It will retain some warmth while giving you a pretty white kitchen.

• Shredder
    hace 5 años

Also, I don't think that varied height cabinets are dated. I like the depth and visual interest they give a kitchen.

• R K
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thanks everyone! Consensus: keeping cabinets as-is. Two other kitchen questions:

1. If just replacing this outlined tile backsplash behind the stove, what would you do?

2. Here is the fridge side of kitchen - the slots next door are for wine, but we have enough wine storage. What would you do with this thin, barrow space?
  • pink_peony
    hace 5 años

The backsplash would be the easiest change to bring into your kitchen. Do you want to replace it all or just the section behind your stove top? If just that section i would change the travertine shape up and do an matching travertine in a herringbone pattern

Or you could do an event color in the same pattern

Here are some inspiration pictures of that pattern in a kitchen

Or you could change it up entirely and go with some stacked stone for a lot of texture.
    Oakley Home Builders · Más información
    If it were me i would probably replace the whole backsplash with something simple like a off white subway in a herringbone or a mini subway. However your kitchen would look great by really going the rustic direction and doing the entire backsplash in a used brick.

as far as the wine openings if i could find some baskets that would fit in those slots i would probably go that direction then store my spices in the baskets that would be easily pulled out and accessible. If not the simple solution whether you need more wine storage or no is to just put some wine bottles in there for display purposes only and call it a day.

• PRO
    SJS Interiors
    hace 5 años
    I can understand wanting to paint the cabinets white as it is the opposite of what you have now. And there is nothing wrong with a white kitchen! I think I would leave the range hood and the cabinets next to it as is. I would also leave the island as is. After painting the other cabinets and you want to paint the island, that can always be done later. I like the look of white and light wood together. Accessories always make a difference too.
  • Kathi Steele
    hace 5 años

pink-peony....that picture of the white kitchen was one of the ones that helped me when we remodeled! It still makes me swoon! Those light fixtures. That stove. The whole picture. AHHHHHH!!!

But, I digress....RK, if you are removing the tile insert behind the stove....I would remove it all. The 4" piece, all of the tile and the insert and start over.

As for the wine storage....You could remove every other small shelf, add cleats and hang wine glasses. You could remove 2 of every 3 shelves and use if for cook books.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    hace 5 años

Not being a fan of speckly granite, I'd change out both the counter tops and the backsplash.

• PRO
    Kitchens & Co
    hace 5 años

The white is so clean and nice. The wood is warmer. I like both.

• Susan Davis
    hace 5 años

I would paint the island a color from the counter top granite/stone? and invest in more pot lights and no pendant over the island; it looks not great!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.