Houzz Logo Print
cherrycreek5

Looking for kitchen splashback or tile ideas

Cherry Pop
hace 6 años
Hi, we’re in the last stages of building a house and I’m falling at the last hurdle (well there are two but will save the other one for another time). Our house is modern with a nod to the past. Our kitchen will be white and we were originally having two large long windows as splashbacks but the windows have ended up being slightly higher than we’d planned so now we have two long windows with about 200mm of room (about 2m long) which I need to fill. I originally wanted to use Turkish tiles but think they might not go with a modern looking kitchen. Our kitchen also looks on to our pool which will have decorative tiles of blues and greys along the waterline. I love colour but would like something that we won’t get sick of. Countertops will be quantum quartz with a slight speck. Tile shops have advised mosaics or glass splashback as they’re easy to cut with a small height. We have penny round tiles elsewhere in the house but I thought that might be enough penny rounds. I’d love your suggestions.

Comentarios (10)

• bigreader
    hace 6 años
    With such a narrow strip can you use your bench material?
  • Cherry Pop
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thanks Dr Retro and bigreader, great suggestions. Simple is probably best. Here’s a pic of the tiles we’re using along the waterline.
  • PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    hace 6 años

Cherry Pop - great looking tiles, however your decsion to use them as splashback will depend on their size and the height of the available area to tile. With such a strong pattern you don't want to trim a tile to fit the height. The ideal solution would be to install the window so that the distance between the underside of the window architrave, near the bottom of the window, and the installed benchtop is exactly one tile in height. This will need some careful measurement and juggling of trades to get it perfect.

Or you could change your pool tile to be less of a feature such as this simple, white, square, contemporary mosaic. As it is smaller, and has no pattern then it doesn't matter if a row needs to be trimmed to fit in the available wall space.

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

• PRO
    Compass Kitchens
    hace 6 años

Hi Cherry Pop,

For your modernist white kitchen with lots of light have you considered using Glass Sheet splashbacks for this 200mm strip. You could use a white or even a fine metallic white (or any other colour you desire). They would marry your quantum quartz finish perfectly, suit the style of your kitchen, would not detract from your beaitiful Kitchen and are really easy to maintain.

Regards

Malcolm

• PRO
    Evergreen Walls Pty Ltd
    hace 6 años

Hi Cherry,

You mentioned that you love colour so I thought I’d mention a truly unique splashback idea. Have you considered artificial green wall panels? This can easily be covered with glass so that it is easy to clean and maintain. Check out our portfolio for more inspo!

Cheers,

Richard

• annb1997
    hace 6 años

Hi. Why did the position of windows change? Were they installed at incorrect height or as per the drawings?

The windows for our kitchen would have been installed higher in the wall than shown on our drawings, and fortunately we caught it in time for it to be corrected. If it's not too late for yours...

• Cherry Pop
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Unfortunately we didn’t realise the windows were too high until too late. It wasn’t what we originally planned but we’re okay with it. Thanks though annb1997.
  • annb1997
    hace 6 años

I think if it were me and the pool was situated close to the windows I would not want my view of the water busied with colourful tiles, albeit a short wide strip of them. Like bigreader suggested, the same material as your benchtop would look good.

Having said that, if the pool is not that close to the windows, perhaps colourful tiles won't detract or compete with the view.

The bottom edge of our windows meet at the benchtop, and we also have a lap pool just on other side of window. This was intentional so that when we are preparing meals or in the kitchen, we have the calming view of the water.

• annb1997
    hace 6 años

No worries, Cherry Pop. 200mm isn't going to impact your enjoyment of view of water. Cheers.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.