Houzz Logo Print
emimat

Butterfly bush??

emimat
hace 10 años
Gardeners out there,
We have two butterfly bushes in our yard and live in Oregon where we just learned they are a noxious species, non-native --- grow very large and take over. Should we take them out? What should we put in their place? Both are next to Japanese maple trees that we love.

Comentarios (10)

• Nadeen Pagano
    hace 10 años
    I'd keep them trimmed back but wouldn't get rid of them. Have you seen many butterflies? The bushes are beautiful in bloom.
  • PRO
    Enright Sustainable Outdoor Living
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    I agree with the above....are they blooming? In need of some fertilizer? Their nectar according to Sunset is,"...irresistible to birds and butterflies".....I would get familiar with this plant, trim it up if necessary, but really it's a great plant.
  • emimat
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks! I wasn't sure what the ecological choice would be as we are close to green space and evidently they are considered invasice.... Can't buy them in OR now.
  • emimat
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    We do have butterflies!
  • kathleen MK
    hace 10 años
    Can't believe they are considered invasive! They are encouraged here for butterflies and hummingbirds. Ours have become trees but they haven't multiplied. Just trim to fit your space.
  • nwduck
    hace 10 años
    Oregonian here. Take them out, especially if you live by a green space. There's a reason they are considered by the state to be invasive. Kind of like the ivy, which we spend tons of money on to remove from natural areas. We are lucky that just about everything grows here, and have plenty of butterfly-attracting choices as replacements. :)
  • hazeldazel
    hace 10 años
    they are invasive and grow to about 8 foot tall. you can control them by hacking them back to about 1 foot tall each year. the bees and butterflies do love them. Your japanese maple unless very big, will probably be engulfed or at least lost and not noticed. I had my butterfly bush back in a big corner space against the fence, so it was kind of the perfect spot, kind of the big anchor planting in the corner.
  • Debbie Sheegog
    hace 9 años
    Invasive?? I don't understand why, please check out facts from local gardening centers-- my area encourages them , I have always had several varieties that grow as hedges and you can trim the height if after several years they take off growing! They feed many butterflies!!
  • farmgirl101
    hace 9 años

My grandmother lives on a farm and has one and she trims it back as needed. We have never had another one come up anywhere on the whole farm.... Maybe there are different kinds that might spread.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.