Houzz Logo Print
sheaecs

Help with circle driveway

shea
hace 6 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

Hello! We just poured our circle driveway and have a steep drop off on one of the curves that we are looking for ideas with. The space was limited so we had to do a 10 ft width because it goes in-between some large oak trees. But going around this corner is a little scary and trying to come up with some budget friendly solutions. Thank you!

Comentarios (22)

• Laura Mac
    hace 6 años

Perhaps just make it less of a slope with dirt, then add pebble or rock, or sod. You may find that someone might not make the turn a few times and ruin their car if you put a small wall, flowers, etc....

shea agradeció a Laura Mac
  • njmomma
    hace 6 años

Not a Pro.

As recommended above. Build up lawn.

Eventually someone will misjudge and they will go off the edge.

My driveway has a slight slope and it has no curve. Someone always misjudges especially at night.

The good thing about a lawn is that you can put grass seed down and overnight it looks like great again. :-)

shea agradeció a njmomma
  • Judy Mishkin
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

it looks like you should have sacrificed one of the trees. now they both look crowded and waiting to scratch your paint. : (

i'd add a curb to the high side, remove the inner tree. add flower beds with tall plants on the outside, you wont be able to see its a drop off but the curb will keep you on track to not drive off in the dark.

shea agradeció a Judy Mishkin
  • kootenaycapable
    hace 6 años
    If they drive off the edge, they are less likely to hit the tree!
    shea agradeció a kootenaycapable
  • Rina
    hace 6 años

Sometimes aesthetics take second place to safety. I recommend putting crash barrier bars on that curb -- you're not trying to stop careening trucks, so you could probably find something that doesn't look too formidable. The drive side should have luminscent paint. Then landscape the slope with shrubs and ground cover to soften the look.

shea agradeció a Rina
  • Elizabeth B
    hace 6 años

Id fill it in work dirt so its not as steep put some flowering plants in with some kind of lighting on the sides!

shea agradeció a Elizabeth B
  • Elizabeth B
    hace 6 años

I have a live oak tree about 40 years old by my driveway which is 36 years old and not one crack it all depends

• kay kin
    hace 6 años

hedge

• functionthenlook
    hace 6 años

Geeze that isn't that steep. That is just a little slope. Just plant some hedges on the curve. It will guide the cars around the bend. It's a driveway, it's not like it is an interstate where people will be going 70 miles a hour. I like how it goes in between the trees. The trees look pretty established. There roots might not bother the driveway. It just depends on the type of tree.

shea agradeció a functionthenlook
  • hummingalong2
    hace 6 años
    A hedge in that area. Perhaps some garden path lights for nighttime.
  • Kathi Steele
    hace 6 años

But the driveway isn't wide enough if the hedges are planted too close and hang over the drive way.

• shea
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thank you for all of the feed back. Honestly, this won't even be used that much so I doubt anyone will go flying off the curve. lol! I like the idea of building up a bank with dirt and grass, and maybe a few bushes to keep the slope stable. Something simple but give a little extra ground space. Thanks for the feedback. I'll post a picture when I get it done.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    hace 6 años

The soil should come up to the level of the drive surface and there should be a shoulder to the drive. The trees are not going to care for it, as they probably won't care for the drive. Landscaping is trade-offs and a day may come where you may need to get rid of one or both trees. But the drive should have a shoulder. Without a shoulder, it's very possible that, depending on how storm drainage runs, there could be undermining of the drive (where soil washes out from below it, beginning along its edge.) If that happens, it would invite major cracking of the drive.

shea agradeció a Yardvaark
  • Elizabeth B
    hace 6 años

You could use a ground cover like asian jasmine to keep the slope from washing away

• Elizabeth B
    hace 6 años

Grows in zones 8-10 I know in Florida it can grow in sun to full shade

• PRO
    CB Conlin Landscapes Inc.
    hace 6 años

Building up the grade with soil and seed/sod is an easy route to go. You'll start losing the base gravel beneath the drive over time if you leave it as is which will lead to failure of the concrete. @kathisteele had some nice suggestions above if you want to take it a bit further.

shea agradeció a CB Conlin Landscapes Inc.
  • njmomma
    hace 6 años

Not a Pro.

Belgium blocks work well too.

Traditional Exterior · Más información

shea agradeció a njmomma
  • Irene Morresey
    hace 6 años
    It is nothing too much to worry about, I would do a rock garden around there and add some bright solar lighting, could look quite pretty
    shea agradeció a Irene Morresey
  • PRO
    Mint Design and Development LLC
    hace 6 años

Did you have this engineered? You definitely need a shoulder. You can build a well around the tree on the lower side as it will die if you raise the soil level around it. My first observance, though is the obvious color and and contrast between the drive and the grass. It needs to be softened....Perhaps add hedging after shoulders.

shea agradeció a Mint Design and Development LLC
  • PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    hace 6 años

I don't disagree that the tree will die if you raise the soil too much around it, but it will also die if you run machinery over a good chunk of its root zone and then pour a driveway over... well, crap. That ship has sailed. If you were my client I would've insisted on removing one or both of the trees, because they're pretty compromised at this point. Did your designer not bring this up?

As far as the high driveway issue, looks like 3-6 tandem-axle dump truck loads of soil, graded out and seeded or sodded, is going to be your least expensive fix.

• shea
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I think the picture angle makes the tree look closer than it is. There is actually quite a distance so the tree won't be disturbed. We were thinking of staying the concrete as it is really white right now.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.