Houzz Logo Print
carolyn_hogan6021127

how can I create cohesion

Carolyn Oliver
hace 6 años
Please help me- I feel like my kitchen is not matching the rest of my main floor( or maybe it is I don’t know)..... this is not our forever home and we are looking to move in 2-3 years so definitely not looking to invest a lot of money- but how do we create cohesion with the kitchen with easy design changes? Or should we do what we can everywhere else and just deal with it? Things I already want to do are:
-Change light fixtures in family and kitchen
- slip cover matching chair for accent chair

Comentarios (12)

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    hace 6 años

Your cabinets are nice. I think changing out the backsplash for something more updated would help a lot.

For the living room, I'd relocate the TV. It's way too high above the mantle. Slipcover the chair, and then get a rug to help ground the furniture.

All of your wall art is too high too. Lower it a few inches, but I think the pieces in the living room are too small for the wall.

• PRO
    SJS Interiors
    hace 6 años
    You're moving so I can understand not wanting to invest a lot of money. The first thing I notice is there is a lot of clutter (and I don't mean that in a negative way) so maybe a couple of baskets for organization. I would replace the art over the red couch with a larger one. How about moving the barstools from the dining room to the other side. And place a decorative item or two on the ledge over the cabinets. Tie in colors from the adjoining rooms.
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 6 años

Its probably cheaper to replace that chair, but a slipcover will work. Agree, the living room art is too small, items too far apart, and hung way too high. Try them 5" above the sofa if you can't replace them. The piece in the dining room should be centered 5' above the floor. If selling in 2-3 years then you'll want to neutralize the dark wall in the dining room. For now, just bring some of that color into the other rooms. Match curtains to it in kitchen and living, add pillows in living that match it. Perhaps slipcover the chair in that dark color. My impression is that the gray is not warm enough to work with the cabinetry. When you prep for re-sale, think about using a warm greige. I think gray has had its day in the sun. Looks like the trim on your two boob lights is different - one coppery to go with the warm cabinets and the other silver to work with the gray. That tells you where the major issue is.

• PRO
    Ladd Suydam Contracting, LLC
    hace 6 años

First thought in the first picture: painting the cabinetry white or a warm light grey will keep your eyes from stopping at the room divide between the dining room and kitchen. If you're selling in 2-3 years I would keep the kitchen light and less personal. I would suggest painting the cabinets, replacing the tile with a subway (a simple white 3x6 can be affordable) and replacing the countertops to a solid surface, but not a busy granite. I would stay with something like Ceasarstone or Silestone. We have found London Grey for the countertop to be very popular. (shown) If you're not wanting to invest that much I think just painting the cabinets and redoing the backsplash is a great start. Best of Luck!

Crestwood Kitchen Remodel · Más información

• Rina
    hace 6 años

From the cohesion point of view, if you're feeling a bit brave you might consider carrying the dining room accent wall through by repainting the kitchen. Hi dawg.

• PRO
    Nanke Signature Group
    hace 6 años

Great cozy space!!

Your palette isn't too far off as is. The dining area looks to be the most cohesive and up to date so the recommendation would be to develop a plan of action for the other two rooms to follow suite.

In the kitchen, look for a couple of counter-stools which match the material and contemporary style of your dining chairs and place them at the peninsula. Pulling in the rich navy color of your dining room accent wall would be another effective step. Consider a navy backsplash or painting the fireplace wall that same color. Swapping some of your metallic finishes- as in light fixtures- to chrome and/or adding a more contemporary coffee table with a chrome finish will also address your cohesion dilemma.

Here are some ideas:

Best of luck with your project!

• User
    hace 6 años
    This was the same issue I had with my kitchen. It wasn't horrible on its own but it stuck out so badly with its orange tones in my neutral home. I just finished gel staining them and couldn't be happier. It was a $30 and 3 day investment. Ive painted cabinets before and staining was much easier. Going to try to post a before and after.
  • User
    hace 6 años
    The after above is with one coat and I hadn't gotten to the top molding part.
  • ptreckel
    hace 6 años
    Why not try moving the art from the dining room to the living room and placing it over the couch? Then, gather some of the smaller images and the sconces from the living room and photos and art from other places in your home and create a gallery wall in your dining room, at a lower level. With two adorable children and your sweet dog, you have your hands full! I like the look of your kitchen and think that by simply adding some dark red accents to it....a new tea pot, some kitchen linens, some art with red in it, you can pull the spaces together. If you can move your counter stools to the other side of the wall, fine. If not, put them away for a while until you can. You have received good advice in encouraging you to paint your kitchen walls, slipcover your chair, and move your art lower. I would NOT take on the expense of painting your cabinets or even changing your counter tops. They look fine. It is all about linking the spaces with color. Good luck!
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 6 años

I think the red in the DR art is probably too rusty a shade to work over the sofa, and the art is probably longer than 75% of the sofa's width, so it will be too large.

• OldGrayMare
    hace 6 años
    I agree with ilikefriday!! Her photoshops are terrific. Slipcover that chair (off white/cream); get a fluffy rug for the space (that wee cutie will appreciate having a soft surface to crawl around on, and so will woofie!); switch out the boobie lights for something more modern, and replace art over sofa. Places to look for temporary art: art.com, etsy, and your local fabric store. You can get a length of a really fabulous wild print, stretch it over a blank canvas (see your local hobby shop) and voila! Original art for just pennies.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.