Houzz Logo Print
stillpitpat

wine rack next to fridge?

stillpitpat
hace 6 años

I am not at all committed to this, but I wouldn't mind a place to store a few bottles of wine in my kitchen (most are in our cool laundry room). My question is whether the wine would get heated at all. The fridge will have side panels, and then there would be another panel for the wine rack, but would that area be slightly warmer in general? I was tempted to dismiss the idea out of hand, but I figured I might as well ask. If the panels would protect the wine from heat, it would actually be a good use of an awkward space.

Comentarios (19)

• palimpsest
    hace 6 años

Probably heated and vibrated.

stillpitpat agradeció a palimpsest
  • Marla V
    hace 6 años

I also would worry about heat and vibration.

stillpitpat agradeció a Marla V
  • bbtrix
    hace 6 años

Are you talking something like this?

I keep wine on the lower shelf. Mine gets no heat and no vibration.

stillpitpat agradeció a bbtrix
  • stillpitpat
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

More like this (but without the wine cooler - no space for that). Just the little stacked cubbies for storing wine bottles on their sides.

I didn't even think about vibration. Maybe I'll just try to fit in a little wine space in one of my uppers. I'll probably still keep the "good" wine for guests in the laundry room, but it would be nice to keep the "have a glass with dinner" wine in the kitchen.

• User
    hace 6 años

No wine next to a fridge unless you never drink it. It’s the worst place in the kitchen to store wine other than adjacent to the range. Refrigerators create cold by removing heat and ejecting that into the room.

• stillpitpat
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Makes sense. Two other bad places in my kitchen: above a heating vent that is annoyingly in the way and in a corner cabinet, against the west wall, which gets pretty hot in summer. I keep trying (WITH MY DESIGNER) to find a convenient place to tuck a few bottles away, but it's just not happening. That's OK though. It's a want, not a need.

• bbtrix
    hace 6 años

There is no heat next to my fridge!

• bbtrix
    hace 6 años

I am touching my cabinet right now. It is cool, as well as the side fridge panel. I do not know what type of fridge you all are talking about but mine is quiet and does not vibrate. Maybe those that are telling you otherwise have a different quality fridge. Check your specs. Any heat dissipates up through the top, as designed and does not seep through the sides of the cabinet. I am speaking from first hand experience not speculation. I’m putting a gauge on the cabinet right now and will let you know what it reads.

• User
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Modern refrigerators eject heat out the toekick grate at the bottom at the front. Not the rear or side. It’s not like the old exposed coils on the back. No wine within 18” of that is a best practice. Unless it’s in a wine fridge.

• OklaMoni
    hace 6 años

Both besides the fridge, and in the utility room are bad storage ideas for wine! Find a cooler location.

• stillpitpat
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Our utility room is the coolest room in the house. The wine rack is near an exterior wall, and the wine is cool. It's just not convenient.

• PRO
    Linda
    hace 6 años
    What is it for...drinking or storing? Normal kitchens in average houses don't have an ideal spot for wine but that shouldn't deter you from having a spot for a couple bottles.
  • bbtrix
    hace 6 años

Absolutely! Not all of us can afford wine cellars or fridges or don’t want to devote valuable space to them. I imagine we’re not talking about $100 bottles of wine needing long term storage but $10 bottles that are imbibed within a few days or weeks.

BTW, I’m registering 70 degrees in every cab in my kitchen, even the one next to fridge. I’ll continue to store my reds there.

So many opinions.

• silken1
    hace 6 años

My 5 yr old french door fridge vents heat at the bottom front as Sophie mentioned, and the area is a bit warmer. When the motor is running, there has to be a small amount of vibration even tho it isn't obvious.

• salex
    hace 6 años

Thanks for this thread - I have exactly the same dilemma. What I've learned so far (tongue in cheek): it's better to store wine in a less-than-ideal location than not to have wine at all! That point is so obvious but has eluded me as I think about putting it near the fridge.

• stillpitpat
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Yep, just wondering about a few places I thought I might stash it. I think I will just put it in a cabinet. Or maybe I can make a place for it in my dining room. Thanks for all the info!

• stillpitpat
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I would love something like that, but if you had read my thread, you would have seen that I do not have space for a cooler.

• sushipup2
    el último año

"Rikki Smith" is a known spammer. Please flag.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.