Houzz Logo Print
bernadetterader

Tile work AM I BEING TOO PICKY?!?!

bernadetterader
hace 6 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

Please help me, I've never had tile installed before so I maybe making a fuss over nothing. Some of the cuts on my subway tile aren't even, I'm using black grout and am concerned once grouted its going to be even more prominent. Also I'm having marble installed and when they started they pulled from one box so there's a dark spot should I ask them to fix or am I being TOO PICKY. Thanks for your thoughts!

Comentarios (47)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Which tiles are you complaining about? If it's the subway in white you can stop. No matter what, I would NOT grout white subway in black, and especially not with the herringbone in the same room. Use white.

What is the waterproofing? What is the herringbone and if that's a shower........where is the floor?

bernadetterader agradeció a JAN MOYER
  • bernadetterader
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Lol. I'm not sure what waterproofing it is I just know it smells awful after they apply it. It rolls on pink and drys red. The herringbone is in a different bath room. The subway is in the guest, carrara marble herringbone is in the master shower. They aren't done installing all tile yet the shower floor will be 12x12 mesh sheets.

• bernadetterader
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

This is the floor that is in the guest bath with the white subway

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 6 años

Aurrggh. Too similar in scale. Please do NOT grout the white subway in anything but WHITE.

• bernadetterader
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I know that's what I said but then men of the house are insisting on black grout.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 6 años

AT YOUR PERIL.

• Juliet Docherty
    hace 6 años

I would match the grout to the tile colour, closely, in all cases.

• bernadetterader
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

But.... the tile installation looks right/good specifically the cuts?

also what are your thoughts on the dark patch at the bottom of the herringbone pattern with the carrrara marble in the shower?

• Geneviève
    hace 6 años

For the grey tiles match the grout for the white tiles white grout no black grout please! Why are the tiles cut so badly? Fix that now by cutting straight , no patched up job allowed , I hope that you bought extra tiles just in case of mistakes :)

bernadetterader agradeció a Geneviève
  • User
    hace 6 años

Yes you are too picky.

bernadetterader agradeció a User
  • Juliet Docherty
    hace 6 años

If you grout the black floor tiles with pale grout you won't notice the subtle veining, just pale grout. Match to a tone the same or just slightly lighter than the floor. White grout on black tiles will look dreadful.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 6 años

Tell the men in the house if they want input they can also do the cleaning of the bathroom no black grout with white tile . Are there 2 sizes of tile in the shower , why would you do that? IMO the corners should look like the tile just go folded in the corner, I see no waterproofing in the niche so that would be a big red flag for me.

• pink_peony
    hace 6 años

The odds are the tiles are cut straight but your wall isn't. Did they not make sure the waterproof backer was level when they installed it? OR is there even waterproof board? It looks like insulation showing in your niche. WTH? Don't even get me started on the grout colors. I agree with everyone else. No black grout! If the dark shadowing on your marble is going to be something your eye goes to every time you look at that space, then yes tell them to blend it better. Anyone experienced laying marble should have opened all the boxes and checked for color cohesiveness before installing.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 6 años

You are too picky beyond good waterproof in the niche, and the MEN insane in that black grout will look like unadulterated hell. Already a problem in busyness and scale exists. When finished in black grout, your tears shall stain these pages.

• chiflipper
    hace 6 años

When the tub wall crumbles (and IT WILL) because of NO waterproofing in the niche (who are these amateurs?) hire a competent tile installer for the redo. If "the men" want white tile with black grout insist they pay for a "mud work" tile install.

• Kathi Steele
    hace 6 años

Read this and then tell your husband.....NO BLACK GROUT.....

http://www.mariakillam.com/ask-maria-husband-chose-tile/

• bernadetterader
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

The niche isn't built yet that's just the hole they cut to build it, not sure why this is their process. I always thought you build it before durock and membrane.

• bernadetterader
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I thought the same about the walls.

• bernadetterader
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

There is a mound which I haven't even mentioned right in the middle were they shimmed the durock out, I don't know why.

• suzyq53
    hace 6 años

It doesn't look that bad to me either. I think the white grout will hide most of the imperfections.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 6 años

"...men are insisting..."" bwahahahahahah.....

• PRO
    Designer Drains
    hace 6 años

You aren't too picky. You know what you like and what you dont, for the kind of money that is spent on a remodel you deserve to get what you want. Now the question becomes, is the contractor/installer skilled in his trade or did you go with the lowest bid? The tiles are certainly not straight, and some of them even seem to have been chipped.

• bernadetterader
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I went with the installer that made me feel the most comfortable because it is a lot of money I got 3 bids and this one won but not because of the price. I felt they were very competent and skilled. They have a lot of great reviews. Let me clarify the men of the house picked out everything in the guest bath!

• Charlene Earl
    hace 6 años

I completely agree with what Designer Drains said above! And please don't do black grout with white subway tile. You'll regret it.

• bernadetterader
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

They found inspiration online, when we found the floor I said I felt it would be too much with black grout but was overruled numerous times.

• suzyq53
    hace 6 años

What do the men of the house think of the tile job so far? Do they know that black grout will show the imperfections more?

• suzyq53
    hace 6 años

Forgot to mention, I would use dark grout for the dark tile. And gray for the herring bone marble.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    hace 6 años

I cannot imagine how bad that tile job will look with black grout. It makes no sense to allow people to make costly mistakes with relatively expensive and permanent decisions. This is not the place for we'll do it your way this time and my way next. Save that trade-off for date night restaurant selection or car color choice, not this.

• User
    hace 6 años

Some of the corner lines definitely looks thicker than others, so I would definitely not go with black grout. If u can see it now, then it will scream at u everytime u look at it. Tell hubby No way to black n remind him - happy wife, happy life! Lol.

And no I don’t think ur being to picky, when u pay a professional for something, it’s normal to expect the best. Otherwise u could just get joe blow off the street to do the work...

• bernadetterader
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

It's not my hubby. This bathroom is for my teenage boys. Lol.

• PRO
    Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
    hace 6 años

The corners will be caulked, not grouted, so some of that unevenness will disappear. Looking at you inspiration picture, I doubt if that is black grout - it's probably a shade of grey which is a little more forgiving. And might be a good compromise. But, I agree with above commenters - white grout will make the imperfections way less visible.

This is an example of grey grout - it's called pewter

Mabbett Street · Más información

bernadetterader agradeció a Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
  • kskimple
    hace 6 años

That dark spot on the gray marble would drive me crazy. :-(

bernadetterader agradeció a kskimple
  • PRO
    GannonCo
    hace 6 años

Redgaurd not the best but its there. They are working around that niche and that cause the smaller cuts at the tub. I hate niches and really don't get the popularity at all. They cause so many cut issues especially when the are tile size dependent. They still see prefabbed solid color niches in many sizes that eliminate using a tiles size. there is a Co with a website that sells only niches in so many sizes that help greatly when using one in small tile layout situations.

Cement board doesn't crumble when wet its not effected by water. Your corners look fine but your tile installer needs to invest in a simple $10 stone to dress the edges of his cuts. Takes maybe 10 seconds a tile and gives a much neater appearance.

Stop using these tiles niches unless they work perfectly with your tile and wall size. they also create several more changes of plane that will also be possible water intrusion areas and need caulking every few years.

bernadetterader agradeció a GannonCo
  • Hillside House
    hace 6 años

Are the teenage boys paying for it? If not, they don't get to choose.

• bernadetterader
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Can I get some more feedback from you guys, all of your comments were so helpful! I'm doing marble in my shower I'm using all 4x12 except on my shower floor which is a brick mosaic. On the back wall there is the herringbone pattern in 4x12, side walls and ceiling are 4x12 brick patten and outside shower floor would be 4x12 herringbone Will this flow, is it too much of one size, I don't like busy and the herringbone was a last minute design change. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

• PRO
    Mint tile Minneapolis
    hace 6 años

@Designer drains

You know what you like and what you dont, for the kind of money that is spent on a remodel you deserve to get what you want.

what pricing are you referring to?

@OP

If you are paying average professional tile install rates of $30-$40+ sqft(labor). Then you can start getting nitpicky. If you hired a cheap fast deal on angies list. It is what it is. Be honest with yourself.

Truth is we have yet to hear enough details to respond accordingly to your woes.

If you wanted upgraded prep work premium waterproofing, Plumb square in plane walls and ultimately better results along with tougher time consuming layouts such as chevron and heringbone I would first have had to approve the tile and purchase it myself. You'd have payed me for that time and service in exchange for me guaranteeing quality control and we would split my discount on the tile cost itself. This would all be spelled out in a contract replete with a detailed scope and every detail would be in writing along with industry standards to be followed.

What does your contract say and where did you source hire, how did you vet and approve and who supplied the tile. Lets start there and then we can discuss quality.

Its easy for everyone to pontificate here on Houzz with absolutely no details required to even converse in real terms. Theres craftsman that deliver the look and there's Deals to be made.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    hace 6 años

I love that the teenage boys are making the decisions.

Research shows that their brains aren't even fully developed yet....https://www.aacap.org/aacap/families_and_youth/facts_for_families/FFF-Guide/The-Teen-Brain-Behavior-Problem-Solving-and-Decision-Making-095.aspx

• bernadetterader
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

We had a tree fall on our house and have been in a hotel for months my boys were losing there minds so to keep them occupied and get them involved in the process I let them pick out some tile! I really don't see what the big deal is!

• Denita
    hace 6 años

^This article by Diana Bier Interiors says it all. Teenage boys have no concept of long term maintenance. Or any maintenance really. Let them practice making decisions on something that isn't so permanent.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    hace 6 años

So let them select between 2 or 3 choices that you already like. Like when you let your 2-year old pick which of the 2 dresses she wants to wear. You like both of them so it doesn't really matter.

• bernadetterader
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

That's true, but in all honesty I didn't mind there choice but am definitely fearful now. Lol.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 6 años

as long as you haven't picked marble for around the toilet, or in their shower, you're fine. make it porcelain or glass. I have a boy and he can do a number on that bathroom. I have porcelain tile on the floor and glass tiles on the tub surround. You want something easy to clean disinfect for the floor,,especially around the toilet. because lets face it, teenage boys don't care about mess when they urinate! a marble floor would be an etched nightmare with males. (you may want to inform your husband for your own floor and tile!)

as for white grout,,,I'd do gray in a shower. and I'd make sure to do the stain proof grout everywhere. FlexColor CQ is just that.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    hace 6 años

Teen aged boys need to learn what works and what does not work in house related stuff as well. Taste must be cultivated.

• PRO
    Hamilton Tile, LLC - Woodstock, GA
    hace 6 años

According to ANSI (American National Standards Institute) you are supposed to have a silicone sealant in the corners, not grout.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 6 años

Hamilton,,,I've already mentioned that in my earlier comment.

• PRO
    J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
    hace 6 años

Seams to me you need new installers. You should never use black grout on white tiles.

J Design Group
    225 Malaga Ave
    Coral Gables, FL 33134
    Ph: 305-444-4611
    https://www.JDesignGroup.com

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.