Houzz Logo Print
annecowie

What’s wrong with my livingroom

annecowie
hace 6 años

I look at my livingroom and I can’t figure out why it doesn’t give that wow factor. What am I missing?

Comentarios (37)

• teamaltese
    hace 6 años
    Looks pretty wow to me! I’d get some pillows in the green of the artwork, and a couple of throws, and put them on the chairs. Some green glass or ceramic vases for the table. I ADORE the chandelier!
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 6 años

Nice looking space I gree a bit of the green would be a nice addition and remove the blue pillows from the chairs. When putting pillows anywhere try sitting with them in place if you can’t be comfotable then they end up on the floor when you have guests , really not a good idea.I think if you trade the blue throw for a green one it will work

• annecowie
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Both are very helpful ideas, thank you

• OldGrayMare
    hace 6 años
    Its a beautiful room....to me it comes across as peaceful, restrained, formal....all of which are pleasant feelings, but not necessarily “wow!” If “wow” is what you are looking for, you should amp up the color intensity in something.....rug, pillows, lamps (even lampshades maybe?).....not all of those items but at least one of them. I’m kind of a rug freak, so personally thats where I would start...but some brighter pillows (pattern with a bright lime green as the dominant color) would be a less expensive start than a new rug. I’m also not a fan of matching lamps....complimentary yes, but not matching. Maybe a brass lamp with a deep green or teal shade? Will see if I can find examples and post later. (the hubs has the flu and I have to get myself put together and go walk the dog now...lol)
  • Pajarito
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

My eye is drawn to the dark spaces in the room. I think the end and coffee tables are too dark and bulky.I think the end tables are a bit too high.I would like to see something airy and brighter. Perhaps a marble or glass top with metal legs. I love your chandelier and art work. Your seating arrangement, sofa, and loveseat selection is very good.

• hatetoshop
    hace 6 años

It's a lovely room. I like the suggestions of bringing some more green into the space. I would move the two chairs closer to the coffee table, making it better for conversation and giving it a cozier feeling. Also, pull the side tables away from the walls.

• Linda
    hace 6 años
    The lamps are too small; think wider and taller. If you want more color switch out the lampshades for more colorful ones; found on various websites or have them custom made.
  • melissar96
    hace 6 años
    The artwork is playful, diving in, jumping in to the new ... and the room is lovely, safe and traditional. I also wanted to bring in more green, ramp the room up, especially if the artwork captures the spirit of you.

If the artwork is what you love, bring more of that feeling in! To me the peace of the room and the playfulness of the artwork are a bit incongruent.
    The artwork is a cool choice, AND
    the room is lovely! It is just a matter of which way you want to go?
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 6 años

Here's a room in gray and blue that IMO makes a statement

I would move your chairs closer to the sofa so they relate.

The blue table lamps might be better in white or black or metal

The pendant lights are a bit Bohemian and maybe aren't the best choice because they can't compete with how bold the furniture is.

I love the art, but perhaps there is a better place for it.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    hace 6 años

Yes to melissar96. She's right on.

The suggestion to lighten up the coffee and end tables is good too.

In addition I think maybe the furniture should be pulled together a bit more. To me the sofa and chairs feel too far apart and a bit disassociated. Can't see how this room relates to the rest of the house to suggest adding furniture or changing the layout with much conviction. Maybe the two chairs could go together on the left and add a backless upholstered bench on the right? Or pull the chairs toward each other and add two green garden stools opposite the sofa?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 6 años

The dark tables are some of the best features in the room.

• PRO
    Sarah Bernardy Design, LLC
    hace 6 años

You have a nice foundation of furnishings to work with. Start by adding color to the walls or with a new rug. Paint is cheaper than a proper rug, so start there. Your artwork is fun, so if you really want that wow factor, then the green of the swimming shorts would be a great color to work with for a dramatic wall color. Then you can add small touches of this color in the pillows and a throw. Even adding a ribbon of this color to the lamps shades would bring a new life to them. The lamp tables are not too high, but the sofa is slightly under-scaled. Larger lamps would dwarf it even more. Because of the large piece of art above the sofa it will all balance out correctly by adding these color elements.

• felizlady
    hace 6 años
    Remove all the blue (too similar to gray) and replace it with the green of the painting. Bring the two chairs closer to the coffee table to make them part of a conversational group with the sofa. The carpet is a bit dull. If you have a good budget, I would remove the carpet, put down hardwood, and add a big area rug with the green in it (patterned, not solid). You can always use more art.
  • Jennifer Lester Mulridge
    hace 6 años
    Lovely room. I think the proportions are out a bit. The sofa and pendant lights are too small in relation to the rest of your choices (tables, chairs, painting). You could also go further with that vibe in the painting, bringing in a bit more fun to stand out against the otherwise serene atmosphere.
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 6 años

The two chairs have nowhere to set down a drink without getting up. The coffee table is too chunky and dark, although the two end tables are nice - feminine enough to work with the seating. I like the lighting but it isn't working with the furnishings in this room. The art really threw me. I like it and the playful dress sculpture but they seem out of place. I think they may be the items that express your true personality, but you're stuck with the furniture that isn't so playful. Focus on how you can integrate the essence of your favorite item in the room into the less favored pieces.

• cineus
    hace 6 años
    Nice room. I think coffee table is too big and bulky.
    Something softer and not so dark would make a big difference.
    More accessories with green from picture.
  • nonplus88
    hace 6 años
    Furniture looks good. However, the chandelier and stuff on table is too complicated and lack of coherent look to the furniture. You may think of changing the carpet for something with an elegant pattern.
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    hace 6 años

I like your side tables.I would get sophisticated decor, lamps, wall art, accent pillows and may be elegant coffee table.

Before

After

• PRO
  • PRO
    STUDIO MB
    hace 6 años

I feel the coffee table is too bulky and masculine. Bring a beautiful metal and glass table to lighten it up. Try not to be so symmetrical with the lamps or maybe just have one since you already have a hanging fixture. I believe the art piece needs to be more grounded so add a silver floating frame to make it pop out more so it does not get lost on the wall. I thinking painting that wall a darker shade of grey will make the whole "white room" pop as well. I probably would not choose light blue as my accent its not a sophisticated color.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    hace 6 años

Looking again, I like the side tables too. More graceful coffee table.

• gtcircus
    hace 6 años
    The lamps seem too small
  • PRO
    annecowie agradeció a Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • PRO
    Tia Shackelford Interiors
    hace 6 años

Your living room is very nice. I think adding pops of color is essential. Perhaps adding a larger piece of abstract art with a lot of color is a great start. Adding red or even bright blue pillows (navy or royal blue, or both) is another suggestion. Also, add more pillows to the sofa - maybe 3-4 more. Place a new, colorful throw blanket in the center of the couch, with a pillow over it. The coffee table is very nice. Adding colorful books or accents to it would make it more noticeable, but be careful not to overdue it. I also noticed that your end tables have no color and some of the accents could use a bit more height. You can accomplish this again, by adding colorful books or a nice decorative box to give the accents height and to bring color to your space. Add some bright flowers to at least one of the end tables - a bright pink, red, yellow or even orange. I do think that the lamp on the larger end table should be centered because it looks bigger than the other table. You can bring the accent chairs a bit closer, and add a color pillow to each of those. I cannot see the entire room, but bringing in a large, tall planter would also work enhance the space. Blessings on your design choice.

• annecowie
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I think the first few things to do might be switch out the lamps for taller ones, replace the carpet with a lighter colour, add pops of colour with the green from the painting, and maybe switch out one of the side tables for something else. So many great ideas out there. Thank you everyone

• mrykbee
    hace 6 años

If you draw a line across the middle of your picture from left to right, the top half of your room says "fun, quirky, eclectic." The bottom half says zzzzzzzzzzz. Identity crisis, not wanting to commit fully to either look. I think a more colorful or texture-rich rug, something with personality, even jute, would help the room a lot (because I like the top half better).

• annecowie
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Good idea. I think that would help a lot too

• mrykbee
    hace 6 años

Also large, potted, frondy/tree-ish plants.

• Sonja Deibel
    hace 6 años

try to mix tables up with different shades of wood, move lighting on ceiling to right corner of room or remove it all together not feeling it with traditional look, move tables closer to chairs away from the wall, move chairs together on one side, adding two swivel chairs with bright color or print on right side. not a fan of the painting but it is unexpected

• suezbell
    hace 6 años

Really nice room. Well done.

(Your dog left his toy on the floor in front of the chair on the left?)

The only thing "wrong" with the room is the puckered place in the rug by the coffee table leg that could suggest the rug needs some adjustment to prevent a stumble hazard.

The "busy" overhead light fixture and the art -- boy diving with feet toward anyone in the room -- are matters of personal taste -- not mine, but to each his/her own.

Living plant(s) can be a real plus in any room.

• drdeb1234
    hace 6 años
    I confess I haven’t read the comments but my first impression is:
    Artwork? Wow!
    Chandelier? Wow!
    The rest? Pleasant enough, but rather sedate, traditional, and certainly not wow.
  • ackcx3
    hace 6 años
    I gotta say-- those blue walls that celerygirl "painted" make your funky chandelier a more powerful statement. I think that looks dynamite!
  • PRO
    Nandina Home & Design
    hace 6 años

It seems like the art might work better in another area of the house. This part of the house seems to call for something a bit different. Here are some ideas that might call to you:

Woodside Updated Traditional Home · Más información
    Note the art:
    Woodside Model Home · Más información

• Margie Kieper
    hace 6 años
    About five different decor styles fighting each other, pillows that need replacing, weird artwork and accent pieces, lack of color.
    annecowie agradeció a Margie Kieper
  • sheilaskb
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

You might add some white-painted crown molding around the wall/ceiling juncture to accentuate the general shape of the room. White-painted wainscoting with a chair rail around the room would bring in contrasting color and texture. I believe your furnishings are lovely, and I believe you could add some medium-size green, leafy plants to add color, air, and life to the space. I would suggest you find a print area rug that contains the colors from your color scheme and center it under the coffee table. You also might add a harmonizing print throw to the sofa. Matching large mirrors framed in silver metallic could be placed on the wall behind each lamp to add sparkle and to reflect light. Basically you already have a beautiful room that, as you said, just needs some "punch or wow" factor.

• J J
    hace 4 años

Following

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.