Houzz Logo Print
rebecca_adia

Will luxe/art deco resurgence follow the farmhouse bandwagon?

rebecca_adia
hace 6 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

I’ve been noticing something new recently – I’ve

been really super drawn to images of rich colors, art deco inspiration, velvet, wallpaper.

and then I opened my email from Anthropologie home yesterday and saw this as the featured image:

is it just me, or is anyone else sensing a sea change?

as you all know, we’re preparing to move. We’ll be closing on this house in just a few weeks:

per previous posts, I was leaning toward farmhous—esque changes for the exterior.

as for interior I’m very eclectic, but have definitely been loving lots of farmhousey, industrial,cottage elements for about the past decade. And I do already own lots of things I love.

BUT.

We’re hoping this is going to be a very long-term home , and we plan to do some projects. So I just want to make sure that I am as happy as possible with my choices ten years from now.

so—Would going more luxe/art deco-y in this new house end up feeling more fresh a few years from now?

and if so. . . Any thoughts on fun touches to the exterior of our new house, to hint at that kind of interior? ( The shutters are coming down no matter what.)

but here’s a thought – if I leaned this direction, maybe the half moon window above the garage which was also on my hit list, shouldn’t go after all! or, maybe rather than replacing it with something rectangular, I could replace it with some funky shaped window ?

And specifically, any thoughts on the ideal front door if I want to go with more of an art deco inspired style inside?

Also just curious if anyone else who’s been on the farmhouse/rustic bandwagon suddenly finds themselves dreaming in velvet. . .or is it just me ;)

Farmhouse and art deco have always happily coexisted. Your taste is just changing!
Your taste seems to be dictated by trends, and YES art-deco-inspired is the big rising trend

Comentarios (47)

• rebecca_adia
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Patricia, thanks and I appreciate your edit so i’ll edit my response too ;)

of course you’re right-

I’m just talking about whether I, personally, could pursue more of an art deco inspired interior particularly given the exterior of this house— and also was just curious if anyone else felt that popular opinion was going to start to lean away from farmhouse at some point in the near future. Not that that would necessarily really influence my decision. Just wondering. :)

I am very eclectic and love all the things! :)

• rebecca_adia
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

To give some additional context—, I recently had a business (owned a clothing store) in which I did have a number of pieces that could fit well in a more deco atmosphere. The business has now very recently closed down, and I actually have to decide whether to sell or keep some of these pieces. I was thinking sell, because they don’t fit with my current homes interior style— but now I’m considering, maybe I could keep those pieces, sell some current ones in our current home, and just do a bit of a revamp of our interior style as we move!

• Laurie Schrader
    hace 6 años

That said...I have friends who designed a beautiful traditional Italian villa style home on their land- grape vines included, down their hill.

Inside, surprise. A very Moroccan style. Two things made that work- the colors all flowed inside out, and they were collectors of art/furnishings/accessories in that style. It worked for them because they weren't chasing a trend on the inside, but finding ways to place what can be described as a curated collection.

When they sold, it was staged a bit differently. But they carried their style to their next home. Not a trend, but a real life choice for them.

Do what you love, make it work!

rebecca_adia agradeció a Laurie Schrader
  • rebecca_adia
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thank you Laurie! That sounds like a cool house and they sound like fun people :)

• lshack17
    hace 6 años
    Hi Rebecca, I understand your concerns about the lovely home you are purchasing already having a traditional/slight farmhouse feel and how will it flow if you decide to go more art deco. I'm sure there are things you could do to match the exterior and interior, but first decide if you need to. Maybe if you think it through you really don't want to go the art Deco route? For me, we just built a house and through the process I discovered my taste changed to what you are speaking of, more Mid century and art Deco. I was more strictly modern, very sparse and minimal. I love the warmth, style, and fashion forward influence this style of art deco/MCM brings. My feeling is this look can be considered classic at this point, and the whole farmhouse trend (unless it's a true farmhouse) could be going away? So maybe your taste changing is coming at a good time. I also think it's telling that your clothing store had this style so it proves you are legitimate about liking it and not following a trend. Plus you could use some pieces from the store like you said. Would love to see some of those if you feel up to sharing.
    rebecca_adia agradeció a lshack17
  • My House
    hace 6 años

Do you have an overall color scheme that you gravitate towards? I understand your plight. Our previous house was much larger than our current. So, our British Colonial-West Indies-World accents were disbursed throughout. Now we have less square feet and accents are fighting one another. I wouldn't worry so much about styles, but rather a fluid scheme. Keep your treasures for now. You might want to change it up every 6 mos. if your treasures are sold, you won't find them again. Cheers!

rebecca_adia agradeció a My House
  • rebecca_adia
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I really appreciate comments willing to speak honestly! Imo, no matter how much we all want to feel that we’re the sole driver of our own taste… I just firmly believe that’s only true to an extent. I guess it’s different coming from the clothing world – people have no qualms about revealing that they care whether something is on trend or off trend. There’s a phrase ‘Of the moment’ that I hear people in the fashion world or use which I feel captures the positive aspect of trends. . .

I.e. at this moment that I’m living in history, how is my clothing affected by my culture, my influences? I think it’s a fun thing to be mindful of :)

Whereas posting here for the past month or so, I get the sense that interior design folks, at least professional ones, are less OK admitting that they care whether something is fresh. It seems like everyone is advised to just do what they love. which is great – dont get me wrong. There are lots and lots of things that super fashiony folks wear that I just don’t like that I refuse to try to like. But I do think there is something about tapping into the pulse of the right now – not following every single trend—but just feeling like your overall look is updated and fresh, that I think is valid and fun.

Khaus —Color is my problem! Right now honestly the color scheme I have going is bc I just started with a couch and went from there. I randomly fell in love with a light blue sectional and so I have this kind of cottagey/slightly farmhouse/rustic feel with occasional touches of MCM and industrial and just plain transitional/contemporary thrown in. I have light blue, white, various woods, distressed stuff, gray, and then a few pops of a cherry red in our common living space right now.

But those aren’t necessarily my favorite colors. I just started from the sectional and the house we were living at the time had a cool bright cherry red mid century fixture that I didn’t wanna change so I bought some pieces around blending that.

But honestly I’m really most drawn to really rich saturated colors. I always have been. Rothko is my favorite artist because I just love color so much.

But I’m also super whimsical and I love crazy flamboyant things too. My problem is I wish I had 10 houses and I could style each one differently! :)

For now I think one of the biggest problems is that the lines of my light blue couch would meld ok- not great- into an art deco style —but I’d REALLY have to do something bold with the pillows or something, right? bc I don’t think pale blue when I think art deco.

• PRO
    Westeck Windows and Doors
    hace 6 años

Why not combine the two? It won't be easy, but could lead to something unique!

rebecca_adia agradeció a Westeck Windows and Doors
  • rebecca_adia
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Westeck windows, that sounds easier said than done! ;)

any thoughts from anyone on exterior/front door/window changes if I were to go more of an art deco (would be mixed w MCM) direction with the interior?

• ilikefriday
    hace 6 años

I love the photo you have posted. I am drawn to bold colors and rich velvets. I can also appreciate a farm-style decor. I love eclectic design. My house is similar in that the outside is very traditional but the inside is anything but. I find that people either love it or hate it. I think that many people can appreciate eclectic design but when you add bold to that it's just too much for many. For me, it's my zen space. I think your decor should reflective of your life and what you love even if when you walk through the door it's not what is expected. If you keep true to that then you will still be in love with what you end up with even 20 years down the line.

rebecca_adia agradeció a ilikefriday
  • Laurie Schrader
    hace 6 años

Rebecca- I appreciated your post on fashion. YES. Keep it fresh, keep it "now". Many of us do that. We do have to think, though, about how that translates to home fashion. One simple reason- it can be rather expensive to chase home trends, if you're not careful.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on buying furniture pieces that are classic, and accessories/colors that evoke a trend you're feeling. I'd put most of my money into quality sofas/chairs that will stand the test of time yet could be re-covered/upholstered/re-accessorized. Wall color can change, too.

A lot like buying the very best classic LBD you can afford. The jewelry may change, but the dress will always work.

Keep checking in. I find it fascinating.

rebecca_adia agradeció a Laurie Schrader
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    hace 6 años

Some thoughts:

Buying clothing is similar to buying furnishings, but much less expensive, so buying trendy items is less of an issue. Furnishings should last a much longer time than clothing.

If you remove some of the details from the exterior of your home (the shutters, the arch windows on the garage and over the big window), and maybe change the lighting and front door, you can "modernize" it a bit. Unless you make major changes, it's always going to have a farmhouse/colonial feel, which isn't terrible.

The interior decor doesn't necessarily have to "match" the exterior. Lots of old Victorian homes have modern interiors, etc.

Color and fabric texture (like velvet) don't necessarily evoke a style. Velvet is a wonderful fabric and can work in formal Victorian and traditional as well as in less formal and modern interiors. The Anthropologie photo is so pretty and fresh, but it doesn't say "art deco" to me. The Chesterfield sofa is a classic, and the accent tables are more modern. The colors are vibrant and fresh, and the shag rug is very '70s. But it all works together, even though it's a mixture of styles. (And there isn't one gray item in the picture!)

What I would do if I were you is to search Houzz and create ideabooks for each room. Then look carefully at the rooms you've chosen to determine your taste in color, style, pattern, etc. Start with a furniture layout plan, purchase your big ticket items first (sofas, rugs) and your wall color last. Be mindful of furniture measurements. Don't rush into it, and choose quality items. If you really need help, you might enlist the services of an interior designer or decorator, or an architect for the exterior. Sometimes professional help can be a worthwhile investment.

rebecca_adia agradeció a Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 6 años

Love your new home. Such great bones to work with. I have made some suggestions for the home to Zuzh it up.

rebecca_adia agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 6 años

You can create a 'nod' to farmhouse without being literal. All these images would fall in that category.

• hollybar
    hace 6 años

Interior design has to function in ways that fashion does not. That fact, combined with the difference in investment (for most people), means that more planning and thought is needed . A nip slip in interiors means someone has nowhere to sit or maybe tumbles to the floor while perched on a rickety chair or, worst of all, is stuck with "wearing" the same rooms that they hate day after day. And no,adding a scarf isn't going to change the whole look. (although I did like the scarves Sarah Jane Pilkington framed for Ivanka Trump's single gal pad years ago...but I digress)

At the end of the day,many trends in interior design are all au courant at once. Calling saturated colours and traditional rounded shapes "art deco" is a copywriter's stretch but I've read worse. Educating your eye and a bit of reflection will help hone your vision. (there could be cage matches between the new trads and the minimalists with the winner to face the soft MCMs!! a throwdown between Ben Pentreath and Vincente Wolf!!!) Educating your eye and a bit of reflection will help hone your vision. Just like in fashion. And,just like in fashion,you have the opportunity to express yourself. Using a trend,ignoring the zeitgeist,or some combo in the middle. & No matter where you fall,or what you want to pursue,that green arch thing above the window must go.

rebecca_adia agradeció a hollybar
  • rebecca_adia
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

ilikefriday: thanks for your input and your time! looking at your images it does seem like our house fits more with a traditional feel, doesn't it?

Laurie: thanks for the affirmation, and for finding my navel-gazing interesting ;)

Diana; super super helpful. A few questions/thoughts:

thanks for the correction, I don't claim to know much about interior design terminology. What would you call the Anthropologie photo? just 'eclectic'? Is there a term for luxe/saturated colors/whimsical things all mixed together? Because I find myself liking those images a lot these days. :)

the problem with looking at images is that I truly love so many diffferent things equally! that's why I'm torn. one minute I love a gorgeous farmhousey image. The next minute something plush and luxe but those must have at least some whimsy for me to love. I don't love things that are purely glam or purely traditional. I love bohemian, global, some mid-century, some industrial, some rustic, some farmhouse, some cottage/coastal. . . I am a mix of contradictions myself personality-wise so maybe that's why I just can't settle on one thing.

Beverly: thanks for your help! I do really like most of the images you posted of the 'nods' to farmhouse.

KHaus: what a fun hotel!! thanks for sharing :)

• rebecca_adia
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

hollybar, love your comment. :) like I said to Diana above-- thanks for the correction --I'm frequently not sure of the right interior design terms for things, beyond clear cut textbook examples. I will work on educating my eye more. I knew the photo wasn't 'classic' Art Deco but 'art deco inspired' was the thing that came to mind. So for my education. . .what would you call it? because I like it. :)

I also love that you used the word zeitgeist.

And I love that on this point we can agree: that green fan offends me so deeply, there are almost no words. ;)

Edited to add: I had to look up Ben Pentreath and Vicente Wolf. They are obviously both super talented and I could live happily in any of their homes ;) But I don't know. Few of the images on their sites makes me think, 'YES that's EXACTLY me'. Pentreath seems to build a little too much on traditional shapes for my taste. Wolf maybe doesn't seem to use as much color as I love? Which is my issue with farmhouse. I feel that I can follow the zeitgeist ;) to a perfectly lovely farmhouse-leaning interior in our new home but I think perhaps what my soul may be craving, at least lately, is more color. And more creativity I guess? It's hard to feel proud of a home when there are SO MANY inspiration images these days to go on that look so much like what the final product might be. That being said, I still catch my breath a bit when I see all those lovely homes with their whites, greys, reclaimed-looking wood, and anchors of black. For example, I REALLY like the second image Beverly posted above. . .but I REALLY like that Anthropologie photo as well. Here, I'll re post them both side by side.

I think I like them equally, although they are so very different! Is that odd?

• hollybar
    hace 6 años

Not at all odd. It just means you have excellent tastes,plural :-) A multiplicity. Trying to hone into just one, to refine, is the work of a lifetime for some, work of a few moments for others (my best friend), and some never get there. Many just don't care. Sounds to me though that your style is important to you. Sometimes a few hours with an interior designer can help you hone in. But having pictures to share (Houzz ideabooks) is an invaluable tool for you and for them. So just keep plotting. And sometimes,certain looks just won't work in your actual space. Recognizing that is a big deal. Of course, for some,that means not being daring enough. Ah,balance. Ever elusive,ever necessary.

Btw,I just picked those two designers off the top of my head (no deeper message) but yes, Wolfe is the big daddy-o of white,supremely edited interiors and Pentreath? Individualistic Englishness, but never twee. He is a one man starter of certain trends though. If I had to live in a house created by a designer, neither would be top of my list but I admire their points of view.

As to your two images above. I'd say they have lots in common. Similar mood ...light filled with pale floors,happy, layered, edited,great lighting choices (um,no actual farmhouse ever had that chandy in the history of the word), both have some quirk. Anthro with the color is just more obvious. As to what to call this Anthro mix? Umm, Happy Moderne? In all seriousness,I wish you much fun on the journey of creating this joy-filled home for you and yours.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 6 años

Anthropologie's buyers have always created a very 'Bohemian' look for the chain of stores. Always loved this sofa from their line.

• rebecca_adia
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Hollybar, thank you so much. It’s really helpful for you to notice for me, what those images have in common! I wasn’t seeing the similarities but you’re right, they are there. That helps a lot. And I actually adore the term Happy Moderne ;)

Here is a current photo (current owners’ decor) of the current interior of the property we are about to close on.

I think based on your observations of similarities of what I like, we’re on the right track in terms of fixed attributes of the home itself! we will be changing lighting and decor ( like the fireplace. . .was the exterior fan not enough green anguish?) to shape it into the joy filled space I crave. Whether that is more ‘modern farmhouse’ or more ‘happy moderne’ remains to be seen I suppose! Thanks again for the incredibly thoughtful input.

Beverly- you’re so right – Anthro has always been pretty bohemian! So I guess maybe it’s not a good marker of whether societal tastes are changing? Although I feel like they do a lot of bohemian/rustic images in recent years . . whereas that one above has pretty much no rusticness to it at all, which I guess stood out to me.

• PRO
    Westeck Windows and Doors
    hace 6 años

You are right! Combining the two can be easier said than done. Personally I know two Interior Designers that marry the two fabulously. One is based in Chilliwack BC but works mostly with Clients in the Southern US, and another based in Edmonton Alberta with quite the growing repertoire in Palm Springs at the moment. They both mentioned 5 years ago people were spending a lot of money on authentic MCM furniture and don't want to give it up, so they had in some more metallic and mother of pearl accent pieces for their interiors. For the outside, they just stick to the doors, and maybe some 1930s style Address numbers. You really should take a peak at our doors, they might get the creative juices going. http://www.westeckwindows.com/elite-plus/

rebecca_adia agradeció a Westeck Windows and Doors
  • hollybar
    hace 6 años

What good bones and utterly fabulous light you will have in your new home. Also looks like there will be ample opportunity for your vision. Congrats!

• rebecca_adia
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thank you all! So helpful :)

• K Laurence
    hace 6 años

There is a trend back to the 70’s & 80’s ... the three trends are: The use of black & white, velvet & florals. Like it or not, they are trending, at least touches of them being incorporated into interiors. As in fashion, what’s “in” today is “out “ tomorrow..... Personally, I buy what I like, & ignore trends unless it’s something I happen to like, it’s your house.

rebecca_adia agradeció a K Laurence
  • PRO
    hace 6 años

Yes, the most appropriate label for the "Anthropologie" look is bohemian, but with a touch of glam (brass and glass accent tables).

One of my friends, a fellow designer asked me recently "don't you want something 'of the moment'?" I replied that I really don't care to be "of the moment." I like what I like. The most frustrating thing about liking something that is not a trend, or of the moment, is that it is more difficult to find. But if you look hard enough, it's somewhere! ;)

• rebecca_adia
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Diana thank you. I guess the glam touches kept me from seeing it as bohemian.

here’s another question for you or anyone, and it brings me literally full circle to when I first posted about the house.

what changes can I make to make the exterior feel more modern if I end up NOT wanting it to look farmhousey?

The green fan, shutters, and half moon window can go. . .what else? Is there a front door change that could announce ‘this is going to be an eclectic space’? Or other exterior ideas I havent thought of?

Thanks to help from this group I think I’ve got a great idea about how to emphasize the farmhouse vibe while making it prettier. but, could the exterior of this home ever look anything but traditional or farmhouse?

Beverly your mockups were lovely! But to me . . that trellis and landscaping would set the stage for a lovely traditional or maybe purely transitional interior. Like a beautiful actress with a ‘girl next door’ beauty. Jennifer Garner or Mandy Moore.

But, I want Angelie Jolie or Lupita N’yongo!

just trying to make peace with my new uber-surburban home, I guess. ;)

Taking the exterior super farmhouse is one way to say ‘at least Im on trend!’.

but is there a way for this house to ever announce ‘I’m gonna be interesting?’

• PRO
    hace 6 años

Rebecca--regarding the exterior of your home, I'm not an architect, but I'm sure it could be made to look more modern, but it would probably cost a lot of $$$$. Like changing rooflines, windows, siding, etc. Do you have that kind of project/budget in mind?

Personally, I love your home's exterior. But if you want a change, maybe paint the front and garage doors a dramatic color? Removing the grilles from your windows also will give a more modern, streamlined look. Have you searched photos on Houzz to give you some ideas? You might be better served to just make some of the changes suggested above on the exterior and then concentrate on putting your efforts inside through decorative items.

Just as an example--this home has board and batten siding, black framed windows, and a metal roof, giving it a "modern" farmhouse look.

The Modern Farmhouse · Más información

• rebecca_adia
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Diana thank you so much. I think you're right. After sleeping on it and looking through an ideabook I made. . .I am not going to try to make huge changes to the exterior.

Someone on another similar thread recently made an amazing point. . .s/he was in one of the trades I think, and they said that they start to feel like things are 'dated' or 'stale' or 'everywhere' by looking at images online. . .but when they really look around at what the average person in their area is buying/doing, it's not as if 'everyone' truly has whatever's trendy.

So. . I can live with making this exterior slightly more farmhousey (as per a previous thread) -- in addition to taking off the green fans, green shutters, and changing the half moon window, I'm thinking of adding a porch column and modern house numbers and possibly changing the strip of roof just above the garage to metal. Also a warm wood front door. Those changes (as opposed to window replacement, re-siding, changing rooflines, etc) should be affordable enough to allow us to spend on what I care about more which is the interior.

As for the interior. . .I think this thread has spurred me to challenge myself yet be practical. Although I consider myself to have a decent eye, you guys are pushing me to refine it and really consider the aspects of why I like what I like and how I could be more creative.

No, I don't need to start from scratch and go 100% boho glam. . . .due to finances, honestly-- it's not neccesary, would feel wasteful, and would 'fight' more with the exterior.

But perhaps by selling and re-buying just a few key pieces, I actually think that yes-- I *could* pursue a true blend of farmhouse and the bohemian/eclectic/luxe decor that I find myself more drawn to these days! I am not sure exactly how this will work, but the challenge sounds fun :) A happy, modern, bohemian, slightly glam 'farmhouse' in a subdivision. (I'm thinking a grey velvet *something* might be a key 'blend' element. Also, just more touches of black to anchor things and move them more modern. And to feel fresh and on trend, maybe some crazy big granny floral wallpaper in the powder room. With a reclaimed wood mirror to say farmhouse and brass fixtures to say modern?)

You all are seriously the best. Thank you so much for helping me think through this!

• lshack17
    hace 6 años
    Hi Rebecca

Sounds like a well thought out plan, unique to your style. Just thought of something when I was looking at the Lowe's website. The Property Brothers on HGTV have a line of furniture and decor for Lowe's. Although I am not a fan of many of the HGTV personalities and the redundant and mass produced way that many of them design, I find them charming and like what they do. Anyway, the vibe they have could serve as further inspiration and the prices are very reasonable. They show a live edge wood table with tufted back chairs, or a farmhouse looking table with the iconic mid century leg chairs. It's a mix of what you describe as your evolved style, bohemian glam/farmhouse. Just thought you might check it out.
    rebecca_adia agradeció a lshack17
  • rebecca_adia
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks lshack! That sounds right up my alley for inspiration :)

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    hace 6 años

That green velvet sofa looks hideous in that blue room! I guess I'm not a fan of Anthropologie.

• PRO
    hace 6 años

Rebecca, I think you're off to a good start--good luck and keep posting!

• KD
    hace 6 años

I think that ‘glam’ farmhouse photo with the chandelier could pull a little more fun/bright by amping up the shades used as accent colors. Like where they have a light blue on the sofa, you could use something more saturated. And that’s something you can start just with easy to change items like throw pillows and other small touches that aren’t a huge investment.

rebecca_adia agradeció a KD
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 6 años

As one who owns virtually every glossy design book ever run on a press, you can bet Victoria Hagan, Bobby Mcalpine, Suzanne Kassler, Thomas Pheasant and a host of others, never even asked what's "on trend". .....can't help myself, but I hate the words when put together.

Just one reason that years later, their rooms , no matter the style, are nothing short of eye candy. All of them appropriate to their surroundings inclusive of gorgeous juxtapositions within.

http://www.mcalpinehouse.com/

rebecca_adia agradeció a JAN MOYER
  • rebecca_adia
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

After following this forum for about a month, I feel strangely satisfied that Jan Moyer has now commented on a post of mine, and only to share a video and criticize my word choice! And not (exactly) to tell me that my taste is all wrong. ;).

Jan, I’m just poking fun :) and I am sure you’re right. The difference between me and them, is that I’m not a designer and don’t claim to be. As just a layperson, I feel that by asking what’s ‘on trend’— in a way, I’m really asking what are the brilliant design minds in my current time are coming up with lately, and wanting to follow them!

• rebecca_adia
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Diana: thanks! I will share once we close and things are underway :)

piratefoxy: yes I agree!!

• PRO
    hace 6 años

Jan has a great point regarding looking at the work of really good designers. In magazines. You can really get the feel of the space better on glossy paper than on a computer monitor IMHO. Better yet, go to some designer show houses in your area and see the best work in person. Study the layouts, details, colors, patterns, materials. Don't copy slavishly, but take from the best the ideas you like most. And if you really want or need help, hire a professional for a few hours or for the entire project (depending on your budget).

• rebecca_adia
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Diana, will do! Sounds like fun ‘homework’— ‘Honey the pros on Houzz told me this is how we have to spend our Saturday’ ;)

• hollybar
    hace 6 años

Diana,please assign me homework,too. And Rebecca, your library may have resources to explore as well. Funny thing about Jan's list of designers...I can see "trend" in every one of them. Because we are all a product of our times and our products, no timeless room exists. (think on that for a bit) Yep,there is "trend" in the rooms of all the designers I admire,too. Heck,some of Jan's list and mine would even be the same :0

• rebecca_adia
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks x 1000, hollybar!

• lshack17
    hace 6 años
    hollybar, I agree completely with your thoughts on trends. I think many designers look down on the word and equate it with bad taste or poor design. I think of it as being innovative and original. I think the best designers take trends and use they're talent to incorporate into more traditional design pieces, this keeps the whole concept fresh and inspiring. I think designers that look down on trends also may not feel confident in they're ability to work with something new. It's the designer that takes risks that I admire, not just because they made it into an industry publication.
  • PRO
    hace 6 años

Ok, Rebecca and Hollybar, get together and go to a Show house together!!!

• PRO
    Manhattan Home Design
    hace 6 años

Regarding styles, I've always thought the mid-modern century is a timeless look. Besides being versatile and working very well in small spaces! I would consider it for your home if you’re planning on staying a long time.

rebecca_adia agradeció a Manhattan Home Design
  • rebecca_adia
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thought I’d post an update—with a few key purchases I’m trying to make my version of eclectic in this new home have a little more glam in the mix and a little less cottage!. . .

( lighting is terrible and sorry about the boxes! the point is the new brass finish chairs- unexpected but I think I’m a fan!)

And speaking of ‘fan’ . . .(whomp whomp) —I’m loving our new ceiling one! Looked at chandeliers —but you just can’t beat the functionality and air flow that a fan brings— I happen to think this new one is pretty spiffy looking too.

(comparison pic from before!)

Just wanted to say thanks for helping me sort through thoughts earlier! Lots more to do before we’re settled into the house but I really appreciate all your helpful input a few months ago.

• PRO
    hace 5 años

Wonderful! And I love a ceiling fan too--so practical and helps with energy efficiency.

• hollybar
    hace 5 años

Congrats on your new home. Always so much to do after a move but at least it is fun! Good choice of fan,too.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.