Houzz Logo Print
bwheatboyz

Need a Reality Check on Nobilia and Leicht Cabinet Prices

Brooke Lewis
hace 6 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

Just got a jaw-drooping quote on 25 cabinets from "Nobillia" and Leicht (though quote says Nobilia) for our very small kitchen. The quote was $55K with another 10K for installation. That is about 2,200 per cabinet. White fronts, glossy ... This seems to me to be just nutty pricing. Thoughts? These are not custom. Not even semi-custom. Wisdom needed! Thank you, BW

Comentarios (57)

• PRO
    User
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

It's standard high quality German made no VOC frameless cabinets. High quality furniture board is standard there and has been for well over 50 years. It performs just fine. High gloss acrylic is a high price. That can be a 50% upcharge right there. Plus, it does have to take the boat ride here. German cabinetry is not commonly found here either. It's the BMW of the cabinet world. Pogghenpohl is the Mercedes.

Brooke Lewis agradeció a User
  • Brooke Lewis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thank you. I guess I am still having a hard time wrapping my mind around a 2K cabinet. It's like buying a Tesla to park in my tiny kitchen.

• kudzu9
    hace 6 años

With a little detective work, hopefully you can install quality cabinets and save enough money to park a nice Honda in there... ;-)

Brooke Lewis agradeció a kudzu9
  • Brooke Lewis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

LOL!

• GreenDesigns
    hace 6 años

Dura Supreme would likely be 1/2 to 2/3 that. IKEA would be 1/8 that. There are options, but none will be the same quality German import. There's a big difference in the glossy White finishes as well. You have to decide what quality level that you want to achieve.

Just beware of anyone local custom offering to get you "the same" look. It isn't going to happen. Not without a significant expense into some very pricy machines. Your local "custom" guy usually uses pocket screws, cheap plywood, and then orders doors.

• Holly Stockley
    hace 6 años

Hmmm, my local custom guy uses solid maple for the boxes, makes his own doors, and can design some very unique features into them. For about 1/2 what the OP was quoted. YMMV, but it might be worth asking around.

• User
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

No one local does frameless to the level of any Italian or German line unless you’ve got a million dollar shop. Frameless European looks and construction are a completely different animal than framed. Apples and kumquats.

No one on the planet uses solid wood for cabinet boxes. If they do, they have tons of warranty claims and callbacks. Solid wood is not stable enough for boxes. It’s always plywood or furniture board. Furniture board for Euro, with completely different joinery methods than framed. Because the box is the strength component in frameless, whereas the frame is in framed cabinets. Apples and kumquats.

If you want a glossy Euro kitchen, there aren’t that many players. And none will be cheap, to get the details correct. Details that the non discerning don’t even notice, but are what makes the look. Not everyone can design and install a kitchen like that either. That’s part of the appeal to many people. It’s exclusive, and persnickety.

• PRO
    CCM Countertop and Cabinet Manufacturing
    hace 6 años

http://www.kraftmaid.com/productlaunch/page2/highGlossFoils

You might check these out. Should be available through kitchen dealers in your area.

• User
    hace 6 años

Framed Krapmaid is pretty darn far from Leicht. Apples and mangosteens. Both have peels. Not anything else.

• PRO
    CCM Countertop and Cabinet Manufacturing
    hace 6 años

It is, for sure - but may be more in line with her budget.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 6 años

I use Ikea high gloss in my kitchens and in clients for a whole lot less than that. I love that i get a 25 yr warranty . B ut that sid Germen made or European made cabinets do cost big $$$$ that is just how it is.

• Kelli Duggan
    hace 6 años

I just received a quote for Nobilia for a 13' island (matte slab finish) and it was $14k + tax and an additional $4k for install. I previously received a quote for the entire kitchen that was around $50K. In my kitchen in my previous home I used IKEA high gloss white and they lasted over 11 years.

For the same 13' island using a combination of IKEA cabinets and Semihandmade doors the cost will be much less. I am obsessed with the interior options from Nobilia & Leicht but not sure I can swallow the price. From the outside the island cabinets will look very similar. Decisions...decisions.

• kudzu9
    hace 6 años

Kelli-

Sounds like you are pretty knowledgeable about interior options. I am curious what Nobilia has in terms of hardware that you couldn't pretty much match with Ikea options.

• Kelli Duggan
    hace 6 años

Leicht & Nobilia offer a wide variety of fitments...wood and metal drawer organizers with felt liners etc., glass door panels (sides of drawers), lots of awesome dividers and features for everything that is placed in the drawers. In my opinion the fitments with Leicht are a dream and the Nobilia ones are a close second. I have had 2 IKEA kitchens and over the last 20 years and they truly were amazing as far as hardware, and durability. I just made the mistake of walking into a Leicht showroom and my drooling hasn't stopped!!

• kudzu9
    hace 6 años

Kelli

Is it possible to go with Ikea cabinets and simply buy some of the unique Leicht fitments that Ikea doesn't have?

• Kelli Duggan
    hace 6 años

Ha! I have thought of that!

• Kelli Duggan
    hace 6 años

Brooke,

I have been working with German Kitchen Center and Semihandmade. If you want to chat and discuss the value and pricing etc. Feel free to call or email me. I am finding it's difficult to get exact estimates and cabinet price breakdown without traveling to their showroom. You should have my contact info through your office. Small world:)

• jdesign_gw
    hace 4 años

Nicholas Skyles your education is a bit lacking. I can't speak to Eurpean taxes but one would pay sales tax here on domestic cabinets as well. As far as container fees it's about 2000. to get to the east coast US. Don't have a clue of what you mean by" we don't meet strict requirements ". European cabinets, are to me, better quality both in materials used and design elements. The only way to match that here is to use European components and emulated their design and construction methods. I know this because that's what I do. I've studied all the top Italian and German cabinet lines extensively. Having the high tech equipment or outsourcing to someone who does is also a must. Price wise we can do much better (if not what's the point). Still not inexpensive because of all that's involved but we do have an option for achieving this look using IKEA cabinets as a base.

• jdesign_gw
    hace 4 años

You are not the only one shipping containers. 10k per container would put most goods from overseas out of reach for US consumers. Europe, China and the rest. Not just high-end kitchens. Everything. It's all around us. What you are paying for in a European kitchen is all of the above mentioned plus brand name, plus high-end showroom , quality for sure and because they can.

• PRO
    Max K Hara Designs
    hace 4 años

Standard prices for these cabinets. They go as far as 2, 3 times up from this even for these premium European cabinets. A pretty standard kitchen at these manufacturers can be anywhere between 25K (lowest quality and finish) up until 150K or even more. Some average being around 80K.

• Laura Krain
    hace 4 años

Kelli Dugan, if you're still following this chain, would LOVE to pick your brain about IKEA vs. Nobilia (or anything in between).

• jdesign_gw
    hace 4 años

With the right customization you can achieve just about any look that you see from the European kitchen lines using IKEA as a base. Even the interior components can done. We do this all the time using much the same European materials as they do for the fronts. You do need to know what you’re doing for sure but more importantly you need to know what they’re doing. Not a lot of people want to put in the time and research it takes to get this right. Heres one example.

• ci_lantro
    hace 4 años

Two sinks & no cooker?

• Brooke Lewis
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Wow! That looks awesome!

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    hace 4 años

Jdesigns, your work is always a pleasure to see. Your clients are very lucky to have you.

• jdesign_gw
    hace 4 años

Thanks Brooke and Zalco. That kitchen happens to be all custom but we can and do get the same look using IKEA as a base so it is within reach of a modest budge. Doesn’t have to take the boat ride over from Europe although most of the materials have.

• Laura Krain
    hace 4 años

Brooke, what cabinetry did you end up going with in the end?

• ldink
    hace 4 años

Is there anything available on the market that would be similar to the Leicht fitments? I just called a local distributor to inquire and he was short and curt. Needless to say, I did not continue the conversation.

• Kelley Gray
    hace 3 años

Can I paint non glossy Liecht cabinets?

• Kelley Gray
    hace 3 años

I’ve never experienced them before and have purchased a home with dated wedgewood blue cabinets. I will replace them.

• Corey .
    hace 3 años

Bumping this - any updates? I want these so bad but they are super expensive and Ikea look nice but I worry the MDF wont hold up for very long.

• kudzu9
    hace 3 años

Corey- My nextdoor neighbor has a house that I’m guessing is worth at least $1.5M. When he bought the house, the first thing he did was gut the custom cabinets and install Ikea cabinetry. It’s been almost 10 years and the cabinets still look pristine, even with 3 teenagers in the house.

• jdesign_gw
    hace 3 años

IKEA with custom doors (which we do everyday) will get you there and your concern about MDF is unfounded.

• PRO
    Heart Design
    hace 3 años

We redid our kitchen last year. I did all of the demo, and most of the rebuild, including the skylight (roofer installed the glass, flooring company installed the hardwood). Then we had Leicht kitchen cabinets installed. THE MOST BEAUTIFUL KITCHEN IVE EVER SEEN!! I would do it again in a heartbeat!! It’s a dream to cook in!! It took a LONG time to complete, from order to final 9 months (the cabinet with the corner glass door arrived damaged twice. With order and shipping times from Germany it take a long time to get replacements). It was worth the wait!!!

• PRO
    Heart Design
    hace 3 años

Here are the photos of my kitchen!

• pahlawan
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

@Heart Design That is a stunning kitchen. What is your countertop and backsplash material? Love how the cooktop knobs are built into the countertop.

• PRO
    Heart Design
    hace 3 años

Silestone!! It’s great!!

• PRO
    Heart Design
    hace 3 años

Pahawan it’s Calacatta gold by Silestone.

• pahlawan
    hace 3 años

Thank you. We have have Silestone too and it love. We've completed our kitchen renovation or I would have been tempted to do that integrated cooktop. What brand cooktop is that?

• PRO
    Heart Design
    hace 3 años

Wolf. We LOVE IT!! The top is level with the countertop too!

• chad hargett
    hace 2 años

Cheryl. We are strongly considering Leicht cabinets through German Kitchen Center. I was hoping to talk briefly with you regarding your experience. I’m new to houzz. Would we be able to talk by phone ?

• kudzu9
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

chad-

Some friendly advice: Do not post personal phone numbers in a public forum. However, if you and Cheryl both have private messaging enabled in the settings for your accounts here, then you can securely exchange information.

• PRO
    Heart Design
    hace 2 años

Hi Chad!
    I don’t give out my phone number. I purchased my kitchen through elite kitchens in Rockville MD. They were about 20% cheaper than German kitchen center, and did beautiful work. I am happy to answer any questions you have.

• Carrie La Seur
    hace 2 años

We're in the middle of a kitchen remodel using cabinets designed and ordered through Leicht Seattle. I wish I could go back in time and choose a different cabinetmaker. There were serious mismeasurements - cabinets extending into 2 doorways - and the owner won't replace the wrong-sized cabinets or even provide a packing list of what was delivered to our house. We chose to hire different installers and Leicht Seattle is deliberately making the install as hard as possible. It's become a nightmare. We've been camped in our living room with a microwave for over 3 months. I've read about similar experiences with other Leicht dealers. If you do buy Leicht cabinets, make sure you get very clear terms and disclosures before you pay them anything. They are very much about getting paid, even if you have no kitchen due to their errors.

• Caroline Duncan
    hace 2 años

I have a Nobilia kitchen and I’m currently having no end of problems with the doors warping. The door seals are not of a great standard. We have the touch kitchen Kutchenhaus Nobilia doors. Warping at the bottoms of most doors and kitchen only 2 years old. I clean my kitchen doors with baby wipes. So no moisture should be getting into those seals. So upsetting.

• PRO
    Leicht Westchester-Greenwich
    hace 2 años

Leicht westchester Greenwich I would love to help and answer any questions you have.
    Thank you

• Verbo
    hace 2 años

Cleaning with baby wipes? How nuts can you get. That voids the warranty on everything on the planet but a baby. It ruins finishes. It’s not surprising that it‘s failing. It’s incorrect care and abuse.

As far as any silly test dunking cabinet doors in water? How much more abusive can you get? That’s completely out of line to even think that kitchen furniture should be able to withstand being submerged in water. Sheesh. Might as well drop a boulder on your car hood and claim the metal isn’t impact resistant.

• ccden1
    el último mes
    Última modificación: el último mes

Does anyone have any info on the Nobilia

STRUCTURA 403

Nero oak reproduction ? I am interested in this cabinet and cost.

• wannaknow2
    el último mes

Ccdent, the last comment (on this thread first begun 6 years ago) was 2 years ago. Your question might stand a better chance of an answer if you considered beginning a new thread. You can always add that you saw this thread and post a link with it’s title. Since you are asking about a different and specifically new topic, the Nobilia Structure 403 Nero Oak Reproduction, it would also be helpful in catching the eye of those qualified to help you.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.