Houzz Logo Print
legend33

New window issues with brick

legend33
hace 6 años
Long story short - had a master bathroom model where contractor installed a new vinyl window (previously was glass block). We needed some brickwork to fill in areas since new window is smaller than old glass block. Also needed it sealed up properly in exterior. Have had several masons stop by and say window was installed incorrectly - sits too far in and should have been flush with brick. Last mason did his masonry work but we still need it sealed up. Contractor is disputing the window being installed improperly (we are no longer working with him after numerous other issues). Going to have some professional window installers come by but thought would post this ahead and see if I could get some opinions. Worried that perhaps not a thick enough window was installed and/or not set right and we will have to have it redone. I am hoping my pictures can be helpful and appreciate any advice offered - thanks!!

Comentarios (13)

• millworkman
    hace 6 años

How are you other windows installed? Normal procedure is the installer of said window is responseable to seal it up..........................

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

I agree with your mason. We would have installed that window further to the exterior - far enough to seal it to the brick, hiding the drainage plane. Then you could have the interior trimmed back to the window.

• legend33
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thanks all for the comments. All other windows in house are original and appear to be closer/flush with the brick exterior. Contractor/remodeler didn’t consider the brickwork and sealing to be part of project scope (even though replacing window was) and it turned into a fiasco for various reasons.
  • PRO
    Windows Direct USA of Cincinnati
    hace 6 años

Seriously that window is upside down. Your weep holes are at the top and need to be at the bottom. It will leak 100%. Other than that I agree that trimming in matching aluminum is pretty normal from that point on although it would look different from the rest of your windows. If that bothers you than a new window will need to be ordered fitting closer to the brick opening.

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    hace 6 años

Great catch WD! I missed that. The installers obviously didn’t know what they were doing.

• legend33
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Oh wow!! Weep holes at the top - I certainly never noticed this but now that you point it out, simply amazing. So I’m clear because I’m not a pro, even though this is a non-opening window the weep holes are used for drainage and any knowledgeable installer would know this, correct? The window installer had been offended that the mason said it was installed correctly and we weren’t even talking about the weep holes. I’m stunned...
  • PRO
    Windows Direct USA of Cincinnati
    hace 6 años

Yes over time the sealant or glazing tape that holds the glass into the frame may loosen up and will make it very easy for water to get between the frame and glass. The weep holes allow it to leak out. Without them or if they're at the top instead, the frame of the window will fill with water and eventually leak to the inside where the stops are. If its winter time the water would freeze and could crack the mainframe....... I once replaced a window that was 5 or 6 years old and had leaked from day one, it was a 3 lite slider and whoever installed it had it in backwards. The weep holes were turned inside facing the living room..... I hope they make it right for you.

• legend33
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thank you for the explanation. Ugh. We have tile on the inside where this window is so now I’m worried taking it out will not be an easy process and may compromise the tile. Upsetting in so many ways that someone who says they do great work botched this so badly.
  • PRO
    toddinmn
    hace 6 años

Once you see water draining out of those weep holes you know your in trouble.Anyways, I have done a lot of dumb things but not that one.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    hace 6 años

Good catch on the weepers being upside down. Too funny. The windows usually have stickers on them these days with directional arrows to boot.

Given the apparent overhang, the couple of issues that have been noted (weep holes and drainage plane) are less problematic but more indicative of some skill gaps.

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    hace 6 años

Great comments above, particularly the catch by WD... While there really isn't a hard rule about the depth that window should be set, there's definitely some red flags about the competency of the installers. Maybe they just made a simple mistake, maybe they are total hacks. No idea. I will say though that I'd never leave a window unfinished to the exterior like that. They can set it where the want as far as depth, but they should also be cladding and sealing the opening IMO.

Vinyl windows generally have a depth of 3 1/4". At that point, when installed in an RO as opposed to an existing frame, you have the choice to push it to the interior or exterior. If you push it out there would be a jamb extension or return of some sort extending in. Given that you mentioned tile, they likely pushed the window IN up to the tile in lieu of adding a JE which could be tricky. That just means that the window is inset more and the exterior trim makes up the more shallow depth on the new window.

• legend33
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Yes agreed, excellent catch by WD and much appreciated! I know they said they were going to finish it by trimming it out and maybe do some flashing and silicone. But they certainly won’t be the ones doing any more work at this point. Yes the inside wall is flush against the tile (actually stacked stone). Not only did they install this incorrectly they left me quite the mess - glass all over outside. They picked up some but certainly not all and the mason left even more of a mess which I had to clean up all his fallen mortar and broken bricks. Fun times indeed.
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.