Houzz Logo Print
gymnasticsmom

Dining room art - is this too small?

Chloe
hace 6 años

Hi All, I always struggle a bit with these high ceilings and scale.

I have been looking and looking for modern abstract art that ties into the rest of the great room colors and aesthetic (black, blue, white primarily), and really struggling to find something I like that's large enough. I still don't know if this one is even large enough for the space. Thanks for any help!

Comentarios (12)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 6 años

It needs to be matted and framed, so by the time you add additional inches I think it will be fine.

• thinkdesignlive
    hace 6 años
    Definitely do a square. That vertical is fighting w the verticality of the window. My guess is 42”x42” minimum and prob could go up to 60x60 but blue tape is your friend for sure so map it out and stand back.
  • Chloe
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I was not thinking of framing / matting this, just stretching. But maybe I need to rethink it. thinkdesignlive I think you're right that I need square, but I can't find one that I like that's large enough. The one I photoshopped here is to scale on that wall w/ blue tape (you can kind of see it) at 63"x48".

I also have a neighboring room with a huge square piece of art that I didn't want to compete with.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 6 años

I don’t think it needs anything but I think I would paint that wall the blue in the painting

• mjd232
    hace 6 años
    What about turning it to landscape orientation?
  • Chloe
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thank you everyone for so many great suggestions! I have been unable to find square piece that I like but I did find unique piece that is landscape orientation. As you can see from the long room shot, I need some color in this space to brighten things up. I love the use of orangey/yellow to contrast with my blue/black/white/neutral palette.

Thoughts?
  • Chloe
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Also, this is photoshopped, I have not purchased yet.
  • PRO
    ELOISE WORLD STUDIO
    hace 6 años

just an idea for you that I think would be spectacular! This is 48 x 48 x 1.5 inch..

• Chloe
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thanks Eloise, it’s beautiful but I want something with color and needs to be at least 60” if it’s square. The photo pictured is 72x48 and is to scale.
  • ImagineThat!
    hace 6 años

If you’re going to add that painting, I would definitely move the color around some. Maybe find throw pillows that while they still have the colors you presently have, would also incorporate the new color you are seeking to add in the painting. Perhaps some items on the coffee table, some books, or a sculpture. These changes could be inexpensive and add the pop to your palette that you are trying to achieve in the painting and balance the room’s scheme. Also, these changes are not a huge commitment. If you wanted to switch palettes in the future, just find a new inspiration painting and redo the other items.

• PRO
    CB Interior Design
    hace 6 años

I think is large enough. As some have suggested I will do a thick lacquer black frame and you can add glass between the frame and the art work and accentuate it with a small silver leaf detail to frame the art work. It will look amazing!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.