Houzz Logo Print
yowp

Sitting Area design dilemma

YOWP Tree
hace 6 años

Hello everyone:

I've got a sitting room dilemma. I'm not loving this look. I need to know if it's salvageable.

I need to determine if:

a. the whole look works or not?

b. carpet dilemma. Definitely round but should we got with a light colour or will patterns overwhelm the space?

c. my husband wanted a table that's high enough that he can play chess on, hence a table that's 30 inches high. Are the chairs too low for the table?

d. should I just go with beige/white chairs?

Comentarios (5)

• PRO
    Nate Fischer Interiors
    hace 6 años

Hi there! It looks like a great space, but a couple of thoughts for you...

a) You have too much (and too large) of furniture going on! I would suggest a smaller chair that has a smaller profile and keep them consistent, instead of mixing and matching the colors. The current selections are too big in scale and makes the space feel crowded. I would suggestion something like: [https://www.houzz.com/products/beatrix-velvet-side-chair-gray-prvw-vr~88291434[(https://www.houzz.com/products/beatrix-velvet-side-chair-gray-prvw-vr~88291434)

b) I would actually avoid a round rug and go with something that has a more unique shape. With the round table, round light and round side table; having a variation in shape would make the space feel more dynamic. My suggestion would be hide rug; something like: [https://www.houzz.com/products/salt-and-pepper-speckled-black-white-brazilian-hair-on-hide-rug-prvw-vr~32326375[(https://www.houzz.com/products/salt-and-pepper-speckled-black-white-brazilian-hair-on-hide-rug-prvw-vr~32326375)

c) Love the table! Just needs a different chair.

Love that you created a space your husband can play Chess at, so cool. Good luck!!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    hace 6 años

It's not working for me as the furniture is only so so for either function and doesn't work for both.

The chairs are not conducive to working at table height and the table height is not conducive to coffee table or putting feet up. In fact I think it would be close to eye level so people would be uncomfortable sitting across from each other to converse.

Maybe it would work better with a round table that has adjustable height. But I doubt it as the chairs are good for leaning back, not good for sitting forward over a table.

I'd go with the games table, knowing that people can sit with drinks and such and converse over that too. If you make the chairs around the table comfy, it should work.

YOWP Tree agradeció a Annie Deighnaugh
  • elohbee
    hace 6 años

I agree that the chairs and table don't work together. You could go with a game table with more upright chairs, as mentioned by a previous poster--something like a dining set but cozier. Or stick with low arm chairs (id do all 4 the same, personally, or arrange them in matching pairs rather than opposite) with a lower coffee table and put the higher chess table between two chairs instead of in the center.

YOWP Tree agradeció a elohbee
  • sloedjinn
    hace 6 años

If the purpose of the space is to have a place to play chess and/or other games, you need a slightly larger table and chairs that are more like dining chairs. Having four matching chairs will make the space more cohesive. The below picture is from the blog Making It Lovely. While you probably want to go modern rather than traditional, it gives a good idea, I think, of the kind of furniture that would work. I see lots of upholstered dining chairs in navy or gray for not too much money.

Maybe these chairs?

YOWP Tree agradeció a sloedjinn
  • YOWP Tree
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks for all the input and recommendations. We're sending everything back. My husband is fine with a lower coffee table we can play chess on and still be able to have after-dinner conversations with guests. That higher table was definitely a hindrance!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.