Houzz Logo Print
aislin08

3/8 copper tubing for gas range?

aislin08
hace 6 años
We had someone come install an addition to our gas line to accommodate our new stove. Looks like he put in 3/8, but everything I’m reading says it should be 1/2 or 3/4. One quote we received, the guy said he would have to widen the existing pipe(that goes to our fireplace) before adding on for the stove. We are calculating over 80,000 BTU it all ranges and oven are on...do we need to make him replace it to go bigger? Current line is about 20-30 feet and we added an additional 10-15 feet to the kitchen.

Comentarios (9)

• geoffrey_b
    hace 6 años

What was the original pipe? Black iron pipe? Was it 1/2" or 3/4" iron pipe?

What material did he use to extend the current pipe 15 feet?

• aislin08
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    We have natural gas, don’t think high pressure system.

Current pipe is black iron and think it’s 3/4”. He added a copper tube that appears to be 3/8”.
  • klem1
    hace 6 años

I've seen many old 80k and larger furnaces running on 3/8 copper tube but I would never go with that small. I guess you could light the oven and watch flame as all top burners are turned on. If oven flame doesn't get smaller,it will work.

• PRO
    Hamtil Construction, LLC
    hace 6 años

There is a maximum load that can be placed on a natural gas system, which obviously depends on if your service is low pressure or high pressure, and also the distance from the meter to the appliance, what is the total BTU load on your system, etc. Also, what other appliances extend from the same "trunk line" (like your fireplace) should be taken into account.

A qualified plumber or mechanical (HVAC) contractor should be able to do a load calculation. That said, we have never installed 3/8" gas line to a range. It *sounds* too small to meet the demand. We install 3/4" frequently for the range in kitchen remodels.

• aislin08
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thank you! It is just the fireplace and stove that will be on the line. With all burners running it would be 85k BTU. He’s telling us it’s plenty big, but suspected otherwise. He’s already installed and said he would be back to test for leaks. I guess we need to insist on him going bigger, I don’t even think he asked us how many BTU the stove required.

Do you find max btu by assuming each range is fired up all at once?
  • PRO
    Hamtil Construction, LLC
    hace 6 años

Yes, all burners and oven on will equal a max BTU. It should be listed on the rating plate affixed to the appliance somewhere. Many times, in ranges, it is inside the oven on a wall, or in the bottom drawer area, etc.

• aislin08
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thanks, we just have the online info since appliances aren’t being delivered for another couple weeks. We will ask him to replace with bigger tubing/pipes. The total was actually 84,500 with all burner and oven/broilers. Thanks again!
  • Jake The Wonderdog
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

The truth is that I don't know. I would never do that - I'd never use copper for gas line and I've never used less than 1/2". Even if 3/8" copper was acceptable by code -- it would be cutting things too close, why risk the callback.

Figuring out the correct gas pipe size requires that you map out the length of each segment of gas line, any elbows, etc and calculate the btu's. There's an amount of work that goes into it.

80k btu/hour over 20ft with several 90 elbows - I'd be doing it in 3/4 and probably not do all the math to be honest. 40k btu/hour or less I'd do in 1/2" for that length.

If I was looking at a long run leading up to that, esp with large gas appliances I might go to the trouble of calculating the entire branch if I was adding on to it.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.