Houzz Logo Print
stacylatham

Need Help!! Oak Overload!

Stacy Latham
hace 6 años
I have been in this home for 4 years now. I’ve been trying to make this honey oak work but I am failing miserably. I am thinking of painting the trim white and staining he doors and expression color. Thoughts? Wondering if I can pull it off..

Comentarios (18)

• Stacy Latham
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I misspelled a couple words.. expression should say “expression”. Similar to the phots attached.
  • PRO
    CV & Associates, LLC
    hace 6 años

Oak is unfortunately a wood/color that can quickly date a home. One method I see folks use is disguise it is by draping interesting rugs and blankets over it, so basically it's your art. But be sure the rugs match color/style wise, like it is a collection.

Art on the staircase walls might help also. Again, cohesion in style and color is key.

The other suggestion I might add is go black. Black instantly adds drama and modernizes a space. Painting wood is always a risk, but black would be preferable to white because latter would just add to the "cottagy" vibe I believe you are trying to avoid. Best luck!

• PRO
    SULAIMAN DESIGN STUDIO
    hace 6 años

Yes white is beautiful and paint the walls also to light colour somehow like light green or light blue or grey. The lighter colour makes the room more bigger.

• Deb Hawkinson
    hace 6 años

We painted the oak portions of our house last Fall...Love it! should have done it sooner!

• Stacy Latham
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Wall color maybe this??
  • Dot Constant
    hace 6 años
    YES! Once you paint your oak & trim in white, it will pull it all together & look like a new place, and I like the color tones you have! We put up wainscoting in our hallway entry at our last house, (also painted white). a great way to update without breaking the bank! Good luck!
  • User
    hace 6 años

No!!!! dont paint the beautiful wood paint the walls

• Stacy Latham
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Deb that looks fantastic! So all of your trim was oak before and you just painted over it?
  • Deb Hawkinson
    hace 6 años

we hired a gal to paint our walls and the oak. She bought something that she put over the oak, let it dry for about 10-15 minutes, then put the white paint on it...gave our house a new look!! It looks so much more modern and airy (is that a word)!

• darralisa
    hace 6 años
    Consider just painting the spindles a flat black
  • Stacy Latham
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Ok I have a guy coming out Thursday to look at it. I am sure it is something I could do myself but was wondering the cost to just have someone who knows what they are doing do it. If it’s not too much I will have them do it..
  • Stacy Latham
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Darlisa, that looks nice too! It looks like your oak is a little darker than mine. I’m not sure if I could pull that off. I am a bit nervous about going totally white though!
  • Deb Hawkinson
    hace 6 años

We had a golden oak...dated the house...love the white...feels so clean!

• kunitacar
    hace 6 años

Why not lighten the oak to a washed look with no shine. I like white trim but shame to paint over the oak wood. White seems to be "in" right now. Who knows what style will be in another 10 years. Just my thoughts. It's your house.

• jhmarie
    hace 6 años

I suggest you paint trim only white. Consider keeping the doors as they are if they are paneled because lighter wood tones are showing up in the new design pics. White trim with wood doors is a good look - unless the doors are hollow core. In that case, consider replacing them over time with paneled doors of your preferred wood tone. To be more timeless, do not go to any extreme of light or dark wood unless you love it. The wood tone that is "on trend" changes regularly and unless you have endless funds to keep changing it up, find what you love and stick with it. Mid tones are more flexible style wise which is why you may want to avoid extremes.

Recent This Old House - lighter wood tones:
    A timeless look:

• champcamp
    hace 6 años

In my first house we got lucky and I only had to paint the oak cabinets white because the rest of the trim was already white. In my second and third houses it was oak extravaganza and a long process to paint trim, doors, baseboards, and cabinets white - but so worth it! I like wood, but I like wood on floors and furniture. The current home we purchased had maple floors (awesome!) but then had medium oak cabinets and railings, golden oak trim and doors, and beige walls. So far I have painted the oak in the second floor bedrooms and lower level walkout basement and it gives so may more options for wall color, curtains, rugs, etc. The main floor is my current project.

• Deb Hawkinson
    hace 6 años

yes, I have no problem painting the oak..it is not a pretty wood..especially golden oak. A person has to love their environment and if it means painting, then go for it!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.