Houzz Logo Print
marciey1972

Bookshelves to two walls or one?

marciey1972
hace 6 años

Help please!

I have this room that I've just updated to grey walls, dark carpet, white shutters and I've added a lighting trough..which I love!

I want to add some bookshelves to back/side walls with maybe a small chair for a reading area. Problem is, I don't know how to configure.

I also have only 43 cm between window frame and back wall.

Please ignore the furniture. Also, the brick fireplace is being tiled.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Comentarios (9)

• marciey1972
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thank you so much....and yes, defs lighter for this room. Will be all white for sure...as this room doesn't get a lot of sun. Thanks for your help!

• siriuskey
    hace 6 años

white bookcases both sides of your side board, depth is perfect for book shelves and any kid of shelvs, I would also line them up the top of the shutters and match that style cheers

• Victoria Papadopoulos
    hace 6 años
    I love the colour of your walls. Can I ask what grey you used?
  • marciey1972
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Hi Victoria. It’s actually a shade of white that looks grey. Will try and find colour for you!
  • annb1997
    hace 6 años

Hi marciey. Just to confirm, you want bookcase along the entire back wall (where buffer currently is located)?

i would be inclined to have bookcase (with adjustable shelving) purpose-built across ONLY that back wall; however, with stepped depth. By that I mean only 43cm deep to begin with at both ends, then graduate to say 50-55cm across most of the length. This way, the bookcase will be symmetrical and it addresses the shallower aspect where back wall meets the wall with window.

i believe you will find you want to place other larger objects on the bookcase shelves, which is why I suggested the graduated depth. You might also consider cabinet doors to the lower section of bookcase, as it can get dusty near the carpeted floor, and you may want to simply conceal some items.

i like what you have done with this room, and a bookcase will certainly enhance it further. May I suggest the new unit be painted to match your beautiful shutters? I think it would look sensational.

the reason I did not suggest the bookcase unit to include the wall opposite the window is that it will shrink the size of the room and you may, in time, find that undesirable. Do you have a great number of books and actually require that additional storage space for them?

marciey1972 agradeció a annb1997
  • marciey1972
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks Ann..the funny thing is, I don't have many books, but I really don't know what to do with this room otherwise. It's not a room that will be used very often, but I need to fill the space.

Love the idea of graduating the depth..I will definitely consider that!

• annb1997
    hace 6 años

It doesn't specifically need to be for just books. In my last house, we had bookcases built-in upstairs in rumpus room and the kids' study, and downstairs in the family room the built-in shelving & cabinet was primarily used to display collectables. I think i would position two comfortable arm chairs against the wall opposite the window and place a small table between them. You would be able to enjoy the view outdoors whenever you do use the room, as well as have a purpose-built place to store any books, magazines, collectibles, framed photos, etc.

• julie herbert
    hace 6 años
    I love what you have done, the lighting trough is fabulous, I love the idea of shelving for books instead of the usual bookcase, add a beautiful chair, your favourite pieces , great lamp and you will have a very stylish area.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.