Houzz Logo Print
kirti_shashank

Need advice : Fireplace not in centre

Kirti Shashank
hace 6 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

Hi Guys!

I need some advice on how to arrange the furniture in the great room.

The fireplace is not in the centre and thus arranging the furniture is a big problem as there is no single focal point. Also we do not want to place the TV here.

We are also open to making changes to the fireplace (like moving it in the centre but that would be our last resort). At the least we will be removing the mantle on the fireplace and extending the brick panel vertically.

Or maybe changing the brick panel to a wood panel throughout the wall.

We will be buying new furniture too.

Let me know your ideas on fireplace remodel and furniture placement :)

Comentarios (24)

• Godswood
    hace 6 años

What furniture needs arranged? You literally have a couch and a 5x7 rug.

Are you going to buy new furniture and need ideas on what to get?

• Kirti Shashank
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Yes, we will be getting new furniture.

• Godswood
    hace 6 años

Ahh, I see you added that to your original post now.

• Kirti Shashank
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks Stacy!

Adding the floor map for the dimensions.

Moving the couch towards the sliding door blocks the area as the entrance is from that side :(

• Kathi Steele
    hace 6 años

You are so fortunate your fireplace is off center. It allows for the proper placement of your TV!!!

The TV needs a proper stand. I think one that fits in the whole niche and that is wider and more substantial than what you have. And the TV will be a bit higher. I try to keep the center of the TV at my eye height ~ 5'.

I would have a sofa face the fireplace/TV and a love seat that makes an L on the window side. I would have a comfy chair across from the love seat.

An area rug would be nice but it needs to be big enough to go under all of the furniture or at least the front legs of ALL of the furniture.

BEFORE you do anything, decide what colors you would like the room to have. I personally prefer a plain rug and patterned furniture, but I usually am in the minority.

I would NOT have a mirror over the fire place. A beautiful picture in your colors would be lovely. Also, another picture where your Christmas cards are with your colors would be lovely.

• westmanmarine
    hace 6 años

We had the same dilemma in our living room. Different layout though from yours. I would suggest getting a larger couch. May be pricey but if you could somehow encompass the fireplace in the sitting area, I think it would work. I am attaching a picture of our couch we bought to fill the space of a small awkward den. We made the couch longer on the big wall. Maybe do a sectional and a couple chairs. Also, go big on the rug and have it extend to include the space in front of fireplace.

• PRO
    SULAIMAN DESIGN STUDIO
    hace 6 años

Yes move the fireplace to the centre and put the tv on it

• arcy_gw
    hace 6 años

Actually, your biggest issue is the placement of the glass door. Once the TV is properly housed (as already suggested)--you want the weight/dimension of it to balance/equal the fireplace then arrange so together they are the center of your living room. The slider prohibits seating which begs to be in front of it. The sectional idea would create a hall/walkway if placed there. Would that work for how you use the room? The micro blinds do not do your beautiful room any favors. I would want to see some color and softness there.

• jck910
    hace 6 años

When looking at your floor plan the bold black line that represents the outer wall around FP & niche is centered. Use that that for arranging furniture. Kathi has given good ideas for the TV so that wall is centered. I would then choose a rug at least 2 ft wider than that area. Center it on FP/TV area. I would not do a loveseat, I would do 2 chairs, more seating that way as often 2 people don't want to be on top of each other on a loveseat, you can have a small table between the chairs for drinks, books, etc. Once you have furniture & rug, choose wall color I think you need paint that is more complimentary to the flooring

• Godswood
    hace 6 años

Center TB in its current niche with a more substantial piece of furniture as its base. Where your tree is located is also a good location for an accent chair with a side table. I love cozying up to fireplaces. Center a sofa across from the front of the center of the fireplace/ TV wall. The left side of the room, with mini blinds (which are not doing you any favors), is there room for 2 additional accent chairs with am end table between? If there is and you want more comfortable seating you could try anther couch. I like full couches more than loveseats because I can stretch out on them. A rug should be under all your furniture except the FP accent char, you can exclude that one from the grouping. Get some drapes or a softer window covering. Don't forget to layer in additional lighting from floor or table lamps.

• Shasta
    hace 6 años

Consider building some kind of bookshelf unit that makes your tv unit look like an extension of your fireplace. You have a nice, thick shelf as your mantel and could use this line as a jumping off point. I think a more cohesive unit on that wall encompassing the tv and fireplace would be attractive. Search on houzz for side by side fireplace and tv. Lots of photos with ideas,

• Shasta
    hace 6 años

Is this an electric fireplace?

• Kirti Shashank
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    No, it’s a gas fireplace.
  • acm
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

I think the fireplace and TV look great, placement-wise -- symmetry isn't as important as balance. I'd just add two arm chairs to the right of the couch, which would fill out the conversational grouping while allowing passage into the seating area. Then, of course, some tables and lamps...

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    hace 6 años

A very large rug that covers most of that area would be my first purchase, and then definitely a large couch that faces the fireplace and TV. If you move the couch further back there should still be room in front of the sliding door for a comfortable but not too large chair while allowing access to the door. On the other side you could have either a loveseat or two more chairs. I have a couch, love seat and two chairs and have noticed that little kids like the love seat to sit together and read or play there or even nap. In terms of what to buy for furniture, you'd have to decide what your style and color preferences are. I gather you lean toward a more modern look. You do need floor lamps or table lamps so that your living room doesn't have the ambience of an operating theater. Unfortunately builders often put in scads of ceiling lamps which are so harsh and unflattering. I hope you'll consider some interesting paintings for your walls to bring in more color and individuality in your home. Drapes on your windows will be a challenge, but I would at least place large plants in front of them to soften the look, and I do mean large. A tiny thing in the corner won't do much good. You have a beautiful space and a lot can be done with it.

• tenamarie123
    hace 6 años

I know you mentioned not wanting TV above fireplace but your room could so handle that look. If TV above fireplace, then center couch in front of fireplace/TV, get a love-seat to go in front of windows to the left of fireplace, maybe two chairs for in front of doorwall. I would then do dark chunky floating shelves in the niche to balance out your window on other side of fireplace. Large area rug to anchor all the furniture and draperies on just the large window and door-wall. If you need the privacy then keep the blinds but draperies in a darker color on both large windows will balance out the room.

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 6 años

I was expecting the fireplace and the range and hood focal in the kitchen to line up, but I guess not. That would require a complete gut and reno. Maybe removal of the mantel and fill in the TV niche with the same surface, pre-wiring it for TV to hang beside the FP.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 6 años

I like the room as is.

• PRO
    SULAIMAN DESIGN STUDIO
    hace 6 años

why do you like the room as it is?

• Denita
    hace 6 años

I think your FP is in the right spot! It allows for TV placement beside the FP rather than above the FP. I like Beverly's floorplan for your space, it works well. I would keep the TV to the left of the FP but put in a more substantial "built in" like below and have the TV on an articulating arm. This is a traditional type insp pic, but you can modify it so it is contemporary style. I would have two chairs and a sofa or the one chair and small sectional shown in Bev's plan.

• PRO
    Bayberry Cottage
    hace 6 años

If you added two chairs or a sectional to your space it seems it would work a little better. All that seems to be lacking is a little more furniture. Try adding two chairs in front of the window or switching out the sofa for a sectional.

• Kathi Steele
    hace 6 años

I am not a fan of sectionals because if you are the one sitting in the corner, it is hard to get in and out of. They are also very large pieces of furniture. But, you need to do what works best for you!

• zmith
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

I think some of the responders don't realize you already have a sectional sofa. I agree with others who have suggested a larger area rug. Furniture-wise, I think all you need is a side chair or two to the right of the sofa, similar to what Beverly's layout shows. You can add accent furniture after you get the layout working.

Here's an idea for the TV/fireplace wall. If you're planning to add more stone above the fireplace, perhaps you could integrate the TV space similar to the room below. Imagine it without the hearth.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.