Houzz Logo Print
darcyandjazz

Am I on the right track: Paint colurs to match red roof??

Jo M
hace 6 años

Hi Houzzers, We want to repaint the exterior of our bungalow. The red roof colour is staying, at this stage I am thinking of a not too dark blue (grey undertones) or a soft green for the weatherboards. What do people think?

Also not sure what colour trims to do for the windows, barge boards, veranda trims, etc. And which bits of trim to highlight, as the front has a lot of detail?

At the moment the main wall colour really stands out too much ( it is more yellow than photos show), and the bottle green I don't like either.

I am looking for something softer/subtler that will blend in with the garden, which is now completely different; a lush green and flowering cottage style garden.

Below are a couple of examples of wall colours I like.

Any advise greatly appreciated thanks.

Comentarios (12)

• haephestus
    hace 6 años

I like the sage green in the first photo of colour options. I think the red, sage green and cream will be faithful to traditional "Federation" colour schemes, while still being somewhat fresh and modern.

Jo M agradeció a haephestus
  • girlguides
    hace 6 años
    Yep sage or pale olive green of first photo goes best with red roof and trim - I’d keep red trim - fresh and soft
    Jo M agradeció a girlguides
  • PRO
    Zohi Interiors
    hace 6 años

i love the first house. i think this would be less likely to date as well. if you're keen to add colour to your frontage use pots, the front door or a little patio setting rather than the house itself.

Jo M agradeció a Zohi Interiors
  • girlguides
    hace 6 años
    CB cream or say dulux natural white goes great with the red AND PALE GREEN
    Jo M agradeció a girlguides
  • Jo M
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks everyone for comments so far. Great to get the feedback. If I go with the sage green, and keep some of the red trim around windows etc, is it too much if I then add small areas of cream, (like on the colonial windows for example); or will it look to busy?

Also what do I do with the barge boards. The house sits quite high up at the back, currently they are in the red. But I have never understood why they should be highlighted? I was thinking same colour as walls, or 1 shade darker of wall colour? Any thoughts?

• Bernadette Staal
    hace 6 años

just to be completely different have you considered changing the colour of the roof. That should be relatively cheap - so much cheaper than painting the house. Tone down the roof and then the house may blend in.

Jo M agradeció a Bernadette Staal
  • annb1997
    hace 6 años

I'm in the less is more camp. Fewer colours better in my view. Here are a couple of pics of simple colour scheme for red-roofed houses. Do either appeal?

Are you are set on incorporating the red theme into trimwork? I don't feel there is any need to, and agree with siriuskey to have fence/gate a single colour.

what colour is your front door? I'm thinking black or charcoal would be striking, but if you do wish to retain a bit of red, here's where you could do that.

as for the barge boards, no need to make a feature of them; as you say they can be same colour as your weatherboards.

Jo M agradeció a annb1997
  • Jo M
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks annb1997 and Bernadette Staal. Bernadette, I do like the red roof; it is the creamy yellow walls and dark green trim that I'm not a fan of... But good point though, my husband actually suggested the same thing on the weekend! :)

Annb, I just thought if I incorporated some red into the trim work it would tie the whole colour scheme together. Door is currently same as wall colour, so painting it the red sounds like a good idea. And I do like the idea of fewer colours, then it wouldn't look so busy....

Currently leaning towards the soft sage green, just need to find the right shade now.

• annb1997
    hace 6 años

• Jo M
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thanks annab1997, I like some of greens. Time to get some samples I think...
    hace 6 años
    Definitely first pic example but I would forego the red window trim. I would do the barge boards same colour as the house.
    Jo M agradeció a 94236633
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.