Houzz Logo Print
tdumas100

Induction Stove? My son, the chef, says "no"?

Terri D
hace 6 años

I like the simplicity and ease of cleaning an induction stove (from what I've read), but my son, a chef, says gas is better. What is your experience?

Comentarios (103)

• opaone
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

The vast majority of residential back-up generators here are natural gas or LP. The only petrol we see are the small portable ones.

Generators are beginning to be replaced by solar + battery systems though which is what we are likely doing.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    hace 6 años

What are you considering, opaone? Powerwall, sonnenschein, or something else?

And yeah, here in FL I don't know of any kind of gasoline-powered built-in gens, only natural gas or LP.

• Nothing Left to Say
    hace 6 años

I have had electric (coil and radiant), gas, and induction. I loved my induction and the thing I hate most about my kitchen in our new house is the gas cooktop.

My bottom of the line frigidaire induction range held a low temperature beautifully (I could boil the water then put my oatmeal on low heat and go get ready for the day with no burning on the bottom--not so with my current gas cooktop even on the "simmer" burner).

My bottom of the line induction range also boiled water much much faster than any gas I have ever had--even with my current gas top's "turbo" burner. Maybe some high end or pro gas burner would be faster?

Induction was also a thousand times easier to clean. Becasue the surface itself doesn't get very hot, nothing bakes on. And no grates to clean and to move around. Cleaning my induction range top never took more than ten minutes--usually a minute or less. Cleaning my current gas range top takes a minimum of twenty--often thirty.

And induction is safer. No flames to catch a potholder on fire, etc. This is extra nice with kids in the house.

If it were feasible to replace my gas range top with an induction model without having to remodel the whole kitchen, we would have already done it--despite the whole kitchen being brand new because it is in a brand new house. I hate my gas cooktop and loved induction that much.

(As far as potential buyers, I obviously was very disappointed to see a gas range top in our kitchen. If I had had a comparable house to buy with induction, you can bet I would have.)

• opaone
    hace 6 años

@writersblock, likely Powerwalls. We have a couple of Tesla's and are planning a Tesla solar roof. A friend has Sonnen and has been quite happy so far.

@crl_, what model is the gas cooktop you dislike so much? I agree, many and perhaps most are quite poor when it comes to simmer. There's a vast difference in those and higher end models though. You have to be careful about generalizing too much.

A 22k or 25k open gas burner does boil water much faster than sealed or lessor BTU burners, whether faster than induction I have no idea.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    hace 6 años

I think this conversation just shows that both are liked and disliked..... it needs to be a personal decision and thats the end of it! I design kitchens all day long and folks are split.... especially now that more companies are doing the induction ranges. For a long while you could only get induction in a cooktop. You are also subject to whether you already have gas at your home or not.

I truly believe that when people are shopping for a home they may say they prefer to have gas only because they are comparing it to the electric coil/radiant ranges and may be unfamiliar with induction.

Good luck to you in your decision!

• Sue 430
    hace 6 años

I love my induction. It heats so quickly, holds low temps so much better than my previous stove and always looks great as it is SUPER easy to keep clean. I think that many people ask for gas because they see all those people on the hgtv shows saying things like “oh a gas range, perfect”. Most may never have heard of or tried induction. I know chefs who enjoy cooking on both.

• artemis_ma
    hace 6 años

Pirate, my generator will be propane, like the heat I have in the house already.

Oh, I went with an induction range, possibly the same Frigidaire model crl_ had. So far, I love it. I have cooked on gas , but not extensively. I like its speed in heating up and cooling down, and its ease of cleanup.

But I haven't done sufficient cooking on gas to evaluate that other choice - other than feeling safer somehow with induction.

• fillmoe
    hace 3 años

I cook every day, using a gas range, which I've always had except for a one-year work assignment, where we had a typical electric stove. (UGH!) The gas range is responsive to heat changes and not difficult to clean - what are people talking about? However, I was given a portable induction burner that I'm able to plug in right outside on a little balcony by the kitchen. I now cook everything smelly like fish or greasy like seared meat after sous vide out there. I am very happy that we took the opportunity, when our walls were opened for modernization, that we had the electrician bring 220v. power into the kitchen. My next range will definitely be an induction range.

• opaone
    hace 3 años

It's important to keep in mind that gas and induction both have pluses and minuses. Each is Good/OK/Poor at different tasks. Neither is great for everything.

Many chefs have incorporated induction in to their line. Induction has some benefits over gas for many tasks. OTOH, some tasks cannot be done as well on induction as on gas.

In our case (below) we put in a gas range but also have countertop induction hobs (as well as both 120v & 240v outlets for them) that we can use when needed. We've only been in for a few weeks and so far so good. Hopefully this will prove to be the best of both worlds.

For people who aren't preparing items that benefit from gas then I think I'd recommend induction, for others a combination might be best.

• Trish Walter
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

I was a gas snob until I built in a neighborhood that didn't have gas. I didn't want to deal with burying a propane tank...got induction. LOVE it. Cooks evenly, gets to temperature faster, no burn marks on pans. Boils water so quickly. And the clean up is heaven. I don't think I did enough 'gas specific' cooking to miss out. We also use our outdoor grill often. I am not a chef and my home is less than $1M if that matters.

• Usuario de Houzz-226602539
    hace 2 años

The most important differences are not mentioned.

Gas stoves are linked to causing asthma in children while electrical stoves do not. (https://www.massmed.org/Publications/Vital-Signs---Member-Publication/Connection-Between-Natural-Gas-Stoves-and-Pediatric-Asthma/) Although this impact can be reduced by better ventilation, I would personally rather have a stove that didn't contribute to this issue at all.

Second, burning natural gas to cook with is less efficient than induction stoves and it contributes more to warming the planet (induction stoves are about 3x more efficient). https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/sep/16/your-gas-stove-is-leaking-air-pollution-inside-your-own-home-go-electric

If we are going to keep the 1.5 degree target, everyone needs to be thinking about changing out their gas-based appliances for electric ones at every opportunity because we can produce low and zero emission electricity much easier and cheaper than we can make low emission methane.

Induction is way better. It is a no-brainer.

• opaone
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

"Gas stoves are linked to causing asthma in children while electrical stoves do not. (https://www.massmed.org/Publications/Vital-Signs---Member-Publication/Connection-Between-Natural-Gas-Stoves-and-Pediatric-Asthma/) Although this impact can be reduced by better ventilation, I would personally rather have a stove that didn't contribute to this issue at all."

I don't think the person who wrote that article read the reports out of LBNL that she's basing her article on unless she's only looked at the older two reports. The newer reports make it clear that harmful byproducts are not limited to natural gas - cooking itself whether gas, induction or electric coil, produce significant harmful effluent that must be vented. Just because someone is using induction doesn't mean that they don't still require adequate ventilation.

• Sulan Dun
    hace 2 años

Looked into induction and it ties with a vacuum cleaner for the strongest magnetic field in the house. I don't want to stand repeatedly in a magnetic field that strong. No way would I buy a cell phone with a magnetic field so strong it heated up the keys next to it in my pocket so hot you could fry an egg on it. Sticking with my old fashioned electric smoothtop.

• jwvideo
    hace 2 años

Just curious, but did you really mean to suggest that you think induction burners' fields will actually heat keys in your pocket while you cook on an induction appliance?

• User
    hace 2 años

I think they are saying that they think the magnetic field emits harmful radiation which is not true. however, people with pacemaker or a similar medical device should avoid it, which is a different issue entirely.

induction stoves have been tested exhaustedly and are perfectly safe. (ditto for cell phones and vacuum cleaners.) people should feel free to buy whatever appliances make them feel better at home, but I really don't appreciate misinformation being spread online.

• Sammie J
    hace 2 años

I LOVE induction, and find it far better than gas.

• ladybug A 9a Houston area
    hace 2 años

I do most of my cooking in wok shaped pans and induction would not work for that.

• User
    hace 2 años

^^ yep, that's true. for anyone who does a lot of stir frys and also wants to switch to induction, you need a flat bottomed wok similar to this:

• opaone
    hace 2 años

"I think they are saying that they think the magnetic field emits harmful radiation which is not true."

And that's not a true statement. The research on harm from induction is inconclusive - we don't know. Part of the reason we don't know is because we still don't fully understand the human body and how induction interacts with it.

Saying that there is no harm from induction is like people saying that there was no harm from lead in paint or asbestos as insulation. We didn't know then. ...but we do now.

When radiologists tell me that they'd not have an induction cooktop in their home there's a reason for that. They'll say that we don't know for sure but based on their knowledge the possibility of harm is far from zero.

• User
    hace 2 años

When radiologists tell me that they'd not have an induction cooktop in their home...

and unfortunately there are also some medical professionals who think vaccines have 5g microchips.

if you think you can't trust an induction stove, then you might also want to get rid of your cordless phone, cell phone, wifi, microwave, and move far away from power lines while you're at it.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    hace 2 años

"if you think you can't trust an induction stove, then you might also want to get rid of your cordless phone, cell phone, wifi, microwave, and move far away from power lines while you're at it."

And for heaven's sake, don't vacuum! Vacuum cleaners produce far more EM radiation levels than induction stoves do. And how many people stand beside or in front of the dishwasher while it's running to do something on the counter? The magnetic flux from can be 10 times that of standing next to an induction stove when it's on. https://www.emf-portal.org/en/emf-source/160

• opaone
    hace 2 años

"and unfortunately there are also some medical professionals who think vaccines have 5g microchips."

Really? I've not heard that one.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't get induction nor that induction is harmful. If you read my posts I'm fairly positive on induction and have stated numerous times that I think it's probably a good choice for people who aren't really in to cooking which is probably most people on here. We have countertop induction hobs that we use and have induction at our winter home.

However, what you stated was totally false. We do not know if induction is harmful or not. And, most scientists and medical folk I've talked with about it believe that it likely does cause some harm but probably not a lot. But we don't know if it's none or enough to cause some serious chronic ailments in old age or somewhere in between. But to state that it's none when we don't know that is false.

• jwvideo
    hace 2 años

@Sulan Dun>>>"Sticking with my old fashioned electric smoothtop."<<<

If the concern is with EMR/EMF from induction and vacuum cleaners, you might want to reconsider the electric range after viewing this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COeSLQgt-c4

• elcieg
    hace 2 años

No contest!

"The biggest difference between a gas and induction stove top is that induction cookers are much more efficient than gas. In other words, cooking food via induction will get 90% of the heat, whereas gas usually get between 40-60%."

• jwvideo
    hace 2 años

@judianna20 --

This doesn't affect your point but most engineering studies that I've seen over the years measured residential gas cooktop and range burner efficiency as much lower, being down in the range of 30% to 40%. I've seen some reports or claims of 90% efficiency for induction burners in converting incoming energy to heat in a pan, but most studies (that I'm aware of) report numbers in the range 75% to 84%, the amount varying with the burner models used and the test protocols. Opaone is probably more current on studies than I am and maybe can weigh in with more current or detailed info.

• ladybug A 9a Houston area
    hace 2 años

I cannot switch to flat bottomed pans, they dont work for what I make. Also have a lot of specialized pans for how we cook and induction just doesn't work. For instance we make phulkas, where the flat bread is toasted over the flame...this is a staple for us. I dont understand this argument that since it is a good option for 90%, it must be the best option for all?

• Toronto Veterinarian
    hace 2 años

They're also much more efficient than standard electric stoves too.

• swscrs09
    el último año

"I don't think the person who wrote that article read the reports out of LBNL that she's basing her article on unless she's only looked at the older two reports. The newer reports make it clear that harmful byproducts are not limited to natural gas - cooking itself whether gas, induction or electric coil, produce significant harmful effluent that must be vented. Just because someone is using induction doesn't mean that they don't still require adequate ventilation."

That's not entirely a fair or accurate comparison. Yes, cooking certain types of things at certain high temperatures on an induction range can produce air pollutants, however this is behavioral instead of inherent in the system. Meanwhile gas ranges produce high levels of all sorts of indoor air pollutants including but not limited to CO, formaldehyde, and such high levels of NO that it exceed safe standards in *outside* air let alone indoors. Further, this leaknig of toxic gases occurs even when the gas range/oven is off. Venting (even the most "adequate" that takes air outside) helps, but does not mitigate these effects entirely. On an induction range/oven one could cook in a manner that never or almost never results in air pollutants. This simply is not true for gas. Why don't people put their grills under the roof of a patio? A gas range is essentially a grill with better functions.

• swscrs09
    el último año

"Induction stoves have been tested exhaustedly and are perfectly safe. (ditto for cell phones and vacuum cleaners.) people should feel free to buy whatever appliances make them feel better at home, but I really don't appreciate misinformation being spread online."

Ditto, although it's important to note the jury is out on cell phones in some areas and is coming back w concerns for others. Men who keep their cells in their pockets tend to have more problems w/ fertility, for example. And there's a possible connection to increased rates of breast cancer associated w/ excessive cell phone use.

The Association between Smart Phone Use and the Incidence of Breast Cancer

• swscrs09
    el último año

I think the general conclusion for safety is induction may or may not have increased health risks but gas ranges definitely do and significantly so.

• opaone
    el último año

"I think the general conclusion for safety is induction may or may not have increased health risks but gas ranges definitely do and significantly so."

HOWEVER, we know how to reduce the harm from gas ranges with good ventilation. That's not the case with the potential harm from induction.

As to U.S. government testing:

• Asbestos was considered safe.
    • Lead paint was considered safe.
    • Until the 1990's OSHA allowed CO2 levels in workplaces of up to 10,000 ppm (now 1,000 ppm and with calls from the medical community to lower it to 700 ppm).
    • Of about 400 chemicals found harmful, approx 390 are banned in every developed country except the U.S. where only 7 are banned.
    • The U.S. has, by a signficant margin, the highest road fatality rates of all developed countries.
    • The U.S. has the lowest life expectancy of all developed countries.
    • People in the U.S. have the greatest number of disabled life years of all developed countries.

• kaseki
    el último año

I just reviewed the latter part of this thread and have a few comments.

For wok cooking, Cooktek manufactures wok shaped hobs for on-counter and in-counter applications. I have one.

With respect to fields, the strongest one in a household, well known to audiophiles and others who messed with audio amplification in the past, is 60 Hz from all the power wiring and electrical cords. Once upon a time (probably over 100 years ago) this was considered hazardous by many, but is now generally ignored.

Induction cooktops operate in the long wave region around 40 kHz. This frequency range has very long wavelength, and would not be expected to interact with body parts or functions. In any case, the hobs are designed to not power up if a suitably susceptible pan is not on the hob. When the pan is on the hob, the field is trapped into the pan base. Fields beyond the pan are very low amplitude. This doesn't preclude possible small pan on large hob conditions allowing hob use and as a result some field lines becoming significant in the radial gap. (Car key heating possible on the cooktop next to the pan, but not in the pocket -- but then only if the key metal is magnetically susceptible.)

The hobs are too small relative to the wavelength to radiate power into the kitchen space. Submarine communications work in this frequency range, but to transmit significant power the antennas stretch across valleys from hilltop to hilltop.

Humans are subjected to damaging short wave radiation from cosmic rays and uranium in granite and daughter particles such as radon. Even higher exposure levels result from UV light. We need it to make vitamin C (unless otherwise supplemented), but skin damage can occur depending on sun angle, exposure time, and protective melanin concentration.

Chemical effects from gas cooking, and cooking in general are easier to envision as body altering factors than energy propagation from the induction hobs. And then there is wide voluntary and involuntary dissemination of damaging Covid19 spike proteins.

I recommend ordering threats by level of risk (probability of risk vs. consequence of risk), in which case possible slight induction hob radiation and possible harm to humans from that radiation is a long way from the top of the list.

• opaone
    el último año

I don't disagree. But I know too many radiologists (and one audiologist) who'll not have induction in their homes. That's a pretty big caution for me.

We may well one day determine that induction is completely safe or that some induction designed with some specific safeguards is. Or as with many things we may learn that it's not.

• wdccruise
    el último año

@opaone: "We may well one day determine that induction is completely safe"

That would require proving a negative which is not possible.

• opaone
    el último año

Yes, very true. So... We may one day determine that we've learned enough that it is very likely safe given x and y parameters.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    el último año

" I don't disagree. But I know too many radiologists (and one audiologist) who'll not have induction in their homes. That's a pretty big caution for me. "

Ya never know - I've met a couple of audiologists who would never get a pre-natal ultrasound done, as they say it can have a deleterious effect on developing hearing. But, like everything, it's about weighting the risks vs. rewards, costs vs. benefits.

• Snaggy
    el último año

Soooo having read all the comments ..does this mean I never have to cook again!😄

• crogs571
    el último año
    Última modificación: el último año

Bottom line is natural gas combustion is attributed to about 34% of the CO2 emissions in the US. Towns and cities are starting to ban natural gas hookups in new construction.

Love the proper ventilation comments. Yes, great for lessening the CO2 and particulate emission within the house. But all it accomplishes is getting it into the atmosphere quicker.

So just truly from a carbon footprint point of view, natural gas sucks. Better than coal and other fossil fuels, but that's like saying Dahmer was better because he killed less people than Bundy.

So not really caring how one has to cook on natural gas because of x, y or z, from a pure environmental POV, induction is better.

And I said "environmental" for the tin hat wearers that think the emf from induction is going to cause all sorts of health risks. Learn the difference between ionizing and non-ionizing radiation. Induction is the latter. No studies show it causes any changes in cell structure and so forth. You won't grow a sixth finger on your hand or a third eye. They're not like X-rays. Yes they can affect a pacemaker and so forth. But don't believe the negative hype. It's not nuclear fallout.

And distance is key. You get about a foot away, and the emf is negligible at best.

And if you are standing over the stove constantly and worried, do you really think breathing in all the gas fumes is better? Ventilation? You're not in operating room with laminer flow. The best range hoods/vents are sucking up fumes, but you're sadly mistaken if you think you're not breathing in fumes and particulate while standing over a gas stove.

But you do you. I'll take the precision, more efficient energy use, less heating of my kitchen, easier to clean and the extra counter space of induction any day. Not to mention it's safer if you have kids, pets or just people not paying attention that errantly touch the cook top.

Now would I switch my existing range from gas to induction solely for the environment, nope. But if I'm buying something new, renovating, building from scratch or whatever, I'm going induction, which is the plan next year as I renovate. Sold my range as I start to demo, and I work off a single portable induction burner.

And for Asian cooking, you do know they make flat bottomed woks. Just saying. That was my aunt's arguments. 🙄

• kaseki
    el último año
  • elcieg
    el último año

OLD POST

• Nidnay
    el último año

Doesn’t matter if it’s an old post….it has apparently been resurrected.

• dan1888
    el último año

Snaggy- Soooo having read all the comments ..does this mean I never have to cook again!😄 You can go raw.

• ifoco
    el último año

crogs571

"Bottom line is natural gas combustion is attributed to about 34% of the CO2 emissions in the US. Towns and cities are starting to ban natural gas hookups in new construction."

1. That's certainly true. However, where do the bureaucrats think electricity comes from? Thin air? most of it comes from burning fossil fuels. In addition most electric grids throughout the US are fragile at best.
  • Snaggy
    el último año

dan1888 😄

• Konrad..just outside of Edmonton Alberta
    el último año

Got Bosch induction for 5 years now…I was sceptical when wife wanted but it’s been great..wouldn’t go back to anything else.
    Wife is Chinese and no problem when frying very hot.
    Has auto shut off…very safe. Water heats faster than any other means.

• barbaraschmich24
    el último año

So if any form of cooking produces problems. I understand all of the tests, but I wonder why those of us who grew up on the East coast and always had gas know no one from the old neighborhood with asthma. I’m in my 70’s.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    el último año

" but I wonder why those of us who grew up on the East coast and always had gas know no one from the old neighborhood with asthma. "

Yeah, I'm sure that's true, because you know everyone who grew up on the East Coast with a gas stove, and know everyone's health status. (eye roll).

There actually is a reason why they're more of a problem now: Houses are built better. Fewer leaks, which is good for temperature control and lower HVAC bills, also means fumes created in the house are more likely to stay in the house. And that doesn't even get into the benefits of less heat loss (cooler kitchens, smaller bills), not having an open flame in the house (safety), and easier clean up.

By the way ifoco, only about 60% of the US' electricity comes from fossil fuels - yes, still "most", but not a large majority. The number of states that get the majority of their power from something other than fossil fuels is growing; since 2001, the number has increased by 60%.

• ifoco
    el último año

Toronto Veteran,

Where else does power come from? Seriously I'm curious. As far as I know, it's nuclear, natural gas, oil, propane, wood, coal, wind and solar. Am I missing anything? The last place we lived they had a state of the art facility that burned garbage.

In California the most regulated state wants to or will get rid of\ gas cooking appliances, everyone will drive an electric car (that they really can't afford to buy,)and they don't have enough electricity now because the grid is so fragile for the large population. so how will you charge your batteries. How much sense does all of that make? We need scientists to come up with answers not bureaucrats dictating to us what we are going to do.

• barbaraschmich24
    el último año

Toronto Veteran,

Yea, so I never said I know the health status of everyone, but you know if people have asthma. If you spend time with them, sooner or later the inhaler comes out. I’m more likely to believe houses are built tighter closing in methane.

Also, how do you explain all the asthma in kids who live in homes that never had gas stoves or cooktops or heaters. I realize there could be multiple causes, but I’d be curious how many kids developed asthma in electric cooking homes vs gas cooking homes.

Research also shows that electric and induction cooking can release particles into food. If gas cooking is properly vented, the house is more safe.

I wouldn’t be so suspicious if the information coming out didn’t feel so much like an infomercial and less like a scientific report. When I heard in a report on the harm caused by gas stoves that said chefs only use gas because they were fooled by oil companies. Clearly, none of the researchers know many chefs. At that moment, I stopped believing the ad campaign. It looked like an ad, it felt like an ad.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.