Houzz Logo Print
4boys2

15 Old House Trends....

4boys2
hace 6 años

We Want to Bring Back !

I love most of them..

Not so much the medallions or ornate molding but everything else..

http://www.hgtv.com/design/decorating/design-101/old-house-trends-we-want-to-bring-back-pictures?sf82751283=1

Comentarios (15)

• bpath
    hace 6 años

Clawfoot tubs, you have to dust and wash the floor under them. No thanks.

Dutch doors. My aunt has one, and it's drafty. Though when they had a dog it was handy to open just the bottom to let him in and out, and when their kids were toddlers they could open the top for the air but keep the kids from spilling down the steps.

Interior French doors, but in moderation, and best used for spaces that might have once been outdoorsy, like an enclosed porch.

Sleeping porches, nope. We like to control our temperature too much. Nights can be too humid, or too cool, or too warm, or too whatever. We are spoiled. And I like it.

Transoms I like, but why did the picture show a bathroom with a toilet and urinal in full view lol!

Fireplace in every room, see "Dutch Doors" and drafts. But maybe in a few selected rooms for the cozy factor.

Laundry chute: we had one as teens. Used it for a few years, then not. Just as easy to carry it down, really. It was by the stairs, so why not? In our last house we think there was a chute as there was a small opening in the laundry room ceiling, just over the big double-sink. The new owners pulled up the carpet in the master bedroom and showed us the top of that chute. Really? In the master, in the middle of a wall where a bed or dresser would probably be? Weird. Chutes are from a bygone era of laundry in the basement, and I don't think anyone wants to go back to THAT.

For everything else on the list, YES.

• arcy_gw
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Interior french doors-no WASTE of space, never are well used.

Fireplaces in all rooms-NO--not used, drafty,

Nooks--again more wasted space.

The best features are the wrap around porch and the laundry shoot.

Some things died due to practicality, others due to expense or design gurus that needed to make things FRESH.

The feature not mentioned, alleys. Homes looks so much better w/o the garage in front, but we all like attached garages.

• woodteam5
    hace 6 años

Years ago, Christmas at grandfathers and my two darling nieces thought they would be like the Rugrats and help my skinny 5 year old daughter go down the laundry chute. Luckily an aunt walked by as they were helping her in. Nope

• daisychain Zn3b
    hace 6 años

When we rebuilt our 110 year old home, we had an amazing designer whose expertise was space planning. She said that one big difference between older and new homes was what many above have identified as "wasted space". With her help, we decided that we loved that aspect of our older home and intentionally stayed away from squaring off and doing away with some of that extra space in order to maintain character. We did open up our kitchen a bit. IMHO, a separate kitchen works best if you have a large kitchen space - many people don't have this luxury. Before we opened up our main floor, we only used the dining room and living room when we had guests over, now we use it daily and spend way more time together as a family in these spaces.

• DYH
    hace 6 años

My 1939 house has original plaster ceiling medallions on the plaster ceilings in the dining room and the front foyer. They're not "applied" separately. I love the character.

I also love my original trim work. It's not huge or ornate, but it's made of separate pieces, built up, not molded as one unit like today's trim. My carpenter built matching trim for my addition. The electric outlets are in the baseboards in the original home, so they're in the baseboards in my master suite addition. I kept the paneling and wainscot. I had the arch door moved to the entry vestibule when opening up the dining foyer wall to match the original opening to the living room. I used picture frame molding on the walls of my new master bath.

When finding a standalone tub for my added master bath, I went with a 1933 refinished pedestal tub, instead of clawfoot. I had it placed 15" away from the wall so that I can walk around it to clean. Because of the pedestal "skirt", there are no cobwebs beneath and the plumbing is mostly hidden.

Right now, I have a daybed in my enclosed and heated/air conditioned sunroom. It's my favorite afternoon nap spot -- like a cat (or poodle) curled up in the sunshine. That said, the bed was from the library in my previous home and will soon go upstairs to a 2nd bedroom. I've got a sectional with slipcovers being made to go there. I think I'll miss the "sleeping porch" concept.

In my previous home (a new home build in 2005), where I designed the interior space, I had a separate 16x24 kitchen with an 8' island. Here, I added a kitchen on the same scale as the 1939 rooms -- 12x12, but it is open to the kitchen lounge with a peninsula.

For space saving, the door to my master bath and my master walk-in closet, I used pocket doors 36" wide.

The only real "nook" in my 1939 house is the window seat on the 2nd floor landing.

• aprilneverends
    hace 6 años

lol what happened, HGTV got tired with itself? "H told G, and T told V, "I'll meet you at the top of the coconut tree!"

Especially I love how they say they'd "lug laundry up and down this stunner all day, every day without a single complaint" stunner being a spiral staircase several slides after they badly wanted a laundry chute.

Many features are awfully pretty of course..and will take a lot of money and skill nowadays to get them, and to get them right.

But HGTV cracks me up..

• suero
    hace 6 años

I have a laundry chute. It was the one feature of the house I wanted to include in the new addition. Of course, in the old area my young son went missing for several hours. We found him in a closet, stuck trying to get down the laundry chute. Thank heavens he got stuck instead of landing on the concrete floor below.

• cat_ky
    hace 6 años

I would love to have the separate kitchen. I really dislike having kitchen open to another room (in my case, the dining room). I would love the wrap around porch. I have the pocket doors. I did have 4, but, now, I only have 2. Someday, they will go too, I really dislike them. I would never want a fireplace in every room. A nook would be nice. I would love a screened in porch, or a sun room. I had a laundry shute years ago, and I did use it. My daughter has one in both her bathrooms, and they do use it.

• palimpsest
    hace 6 años

If you have a fireplace in every room, you have to treat most of them as the "functional" thing they once were and ignore them or at least not center all the furniture around them.

• Claire Buoyant
    hace 6 años

I used to keep a golf club near the main floor laundry chute to "unjam" the occasional towel. But I loved having a chute to send sheets and towels from upstairs to the basement!

• nini804
    hace 6 años

I love all of the old house details and incorporated many into the custom home we designed 7 years ago! I have wide, custom trim with special touches like panel jambs, built-ins, nooks (very partial to my “hidey-hole” office off the kitchen,) a claw foot tub in my master (I just run a swiffer under it...not hard to clean at all,) and even a ceiling medallion in my dining room!

We don’t have a wrap around porch or a sleeping porch bc that isn’t the style of our architecture, but I love them. One of my good friends has both and they are just wonderful.

I am slightly alarmed that HGTV and I are sharing similar likes...seems like a 180 degree shift for them!

• suedonim75
    hace 6 años

I would love the wrap around porch and the nook.

• Em11
    hace 6 años

I love pretty much all of those. Of course they don't all work in every architecture style.

• PRO
    Paragon Stairs
    hace 6 años

We love that spiral staircases are making a comeback! They're great for small spaces that been popular recently. For an update to a traditional spiral stair, you can consider a sweeping curved stair.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.