Houzz Logo Print
julesih

Reuse granite countertops??

julesih
hace 6 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

I hathate the height of the bar in our kitchen. Looking for opinions and advice. Can we rem9ve the top piece of granite, make the height the same as other countertops, then top with the saved granite? This photo is almost identical to what we

Comentarios (24)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 6 años

I guess as long as you don’t mind having a seam that will scream we added this after we lowered our bar.Post a picture of your space , IMO you would be better off to get a nice top that coordinates with the rest of your counters

julesih agradeció a Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • julesih
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

We have Uba Tuba and wondered if the seam could be black. This is my actual kitchen

• User
    hace 6 años

It will cost 99% of buying new granite for it. And be hideous.

julesih agradeció a User
  • artistsharonva
    hace 6 años

If you want straight across it will have a seam. Later if don't like, a whole new top.

If you lowered it some still keep a 2 tier level could work.

julesih agradeció a artistsharonva
  • suzyq53
    hace 6 años

I don't think you would have a seam if the stone rested on the butcher block. You could leave the pony bar about an inch taller than the counter or however deep your stone edge is.

julesih agradeció a suzyq53
  • gtcircus
    hace 6 años
    You have more issues than just the stone if you remove the wall so please do it correctly and get new stone that matches. This is just being penny wise and pound foolish.
    julesih agradeció a gtcircus
  • hummingalong2
    hace 6 años
    If you lower it to level, your sink and it's etc.
    will all be visible from the adjoining room.
    julesih agradeció a hummingalong2
  • PRO
    Gem Marble and Granite Corp
    hace 6 años
    you'll need to trim the sides of the granite top to align with wood top at the lower level and cut the profile of the one long side of this granite to terminate tight to the wood top. A few cuts and polishing and you're all set. keep in mind though to have some form of steel support below at the stone.
    julesih agradeció a Gem Marble and Granite Corp
  • Angel 18432
    hace 6 años

Just my opinion, but why would you want all the dishes in the sink exposed for everyone to see.

julesih agradeció a Angel 18432
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 6 años

"Can we rem9ve the top piece of granite, make the height the same as other countertops, then top with the saved granite?"

juliesih:

Yes, you can, but your question really needs to be is this cost effective? If you had an exotic stone that you really loved, it may be worth it, but in most cases replacing the top will make the most sense.

julesih agradeció a Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • User
    hace 6 años

And the granite will be the cheapest part of if. You have to get your electrical sorted out. You are required to have outlets on the side if you make that one level. Which may mean cabinet modification as well as wall modification. You will need several different trades to do this project. And it ain’t happening before Christmas.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    hace 6 años

I am a fabricator. Suggestion: lower it but leave it a few inches above the lower side (4" is typical). you'll be able to reuse the top and still have a much lower counter.

julesih agradeció a Granite City Services
  • ileslie2
    hace 6 años
    I had a raised counter for the last 4 years and there was nothing I liked about it. It cut down my useable counter space and restricted the natural light and we hated eating at that height so our bar stools were almost unused. We recently moved to a house where we chose a flat beautiful counter and I love it. My dishes go into the dishwasher and if I need to hand wash I have a large single sink and an in sink drainer.
    julesih agradeció a ileslie2
  • Bri Bosh
    hace 6 años
    Yes to the above... if you have so many dishes stacked in your sink that they come above the counter line and are visible, that's probably the least of your cleanliness issues!
    julesih agradeció a Bri Bosh
  • PRO
    User
    hace 6 años

Wow, that puppy is tall! I can see why you want one solid surface. However, I would make sure you purchase an entirely new piece of stone.

julesih agradeció a User
  • Haylea Morgan
    hace 6 años
    Have you ever looked into ikeas brackets?
    I think they come in different sizes and it will just lower the bar height and still keep the kitchen looking good, while opening up the area!
    julesih agradeció a Haylea Morgan
  • PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    hace 6 años

If you've got Uba Tuba, matching it with a new piece of stone would be easy and pretty inexpensive, you might even be able to get a remnant. But what about going back with a piece that contrasts with the rest of the tops, maybe quartz. They've got remnants in that, too.

julesih agradeció a Carolina Kitchen & Bath
  • suzyq53
    hace 6 años

The way the space is designed, sitting at the bar is like sitting in the hallway. I'd lower the back by half but not down to counter and do the backsplash and cap with modified existing Uba and forget about seating there. You'd still have room for the outlets going horizontal. It would be like a long pony wall with paneling and a stone cap and the backsplash would look better and it would feel more open.

julesih agradeció a suzyq53
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 6 años

I love, love, love the bar height counter. The under counter treatment is great….panels: each allow for five barstools.

I would never change this option for seating while you are cooking.

julesih agradeció a JudyG Designs
  • Usuario de Houzz-483405348
    hace 4 años

what did you end up doing? we are thinking of doing the same thing but using metal on the seam to call it out as a design piece

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 4 años

I've seen that done. The people liked it, but it's nothing I'd put my name on.

• erin atencio
    hace 4 años

what about marrying a black stained wood to the edge of the stone. wood is easy to manipulate. maybe black lacquer.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 4 años

Maybe Corian Nocturne (solid black) bonded with Integra's Component Bonder.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.