Houzz Logo Print
merync

How can I transform this area into an outdoor living space?

merync
hace 6 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

we are planning on replacing our existing structure with a 6m x 12m gabeled roof. problem is this will form both our double garage and outdoor living space. any suggestions for how we could screen off or separate the 2 areas (without blowing the budget)? I like the idea of a vine of some sort but it will get no direct sunlight. The current roof is pictured.

Comentarios (12)

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    hace 6 años

How about a metal louvred privacy screen. A lot of fence and pre fab awning manufacturers also supple these screening options.

• juliahocking
    hace 6 años

Hi merync

Perhaps vertical posts about 100mm x 100mm with 100mm spacing - from floor to rafters of new roof Colour them to co ordinate with the new work

Light & breeze will still get through, but there will be a division between the functioning spaces

Attach stag horns, elk horns, crow's nest ferns as well as potted ferns in 1/2 circle wire baskets - lined with moss. All these will flourish in shade

In effect, a vertical garden

Enjoy

• merync
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thank you both. I really like the idea of a vertical garden with ferns. We'd just need to figure out how to attach the posts to the concrete flooring?
  • juliahocking
    hace 6 años

Hi merync

Pleased you like the ideas

The posts could be anchored with metal supports bedded into concrete

or a box-like structure (that could double as seating)could have the posts housed in

or make the box a planter to accommodate some more plants

Enjoy

• oklouise
    hace 6 años

metal posts can be bolted to the concrete floor with a metal bracket called a "stirrup" there's a brand called Uni-pier with multiple sizes available at the major hardware stores and then attach sections of plastic lattice (friendlier for attaching plants) ...make sure the posts are installed at standard distances to suit the size of the panels..eg four panels 1200 wide x 2400 tall installed between 5 posts would allow for a wide doorway at one end or two panels could be installed horizontally between three posts with gaps at the top and bottom with a line of big oblong shaped pots for climbing plants and wall hung pots could be attached to the lattice

• PRO
    Zohi Interiors
    hace 6 años

The laser screens look like a perfect option - not too much effort and very effective. Bunning's have them too. Also bamboo and wicker ones - depending on the look you decide to go for. You can spend less on the screens (if you're budget is limited) and use your outdoor setting and pot plants to create the decorator features.

• merync
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I love those screens but feel like they are a bit too nice for our old brick house and look out of place! I might be able to sneak 1 in as a feature amoung pillars or lattice
  • siriuskey
    hace 6 años

I think this is what MB is suggesting they do look great and come in White black and timber https://www.bunnings.com.au/protector-aluminium-900-x-1750mm-pearl-white-easy-screen-welded-slat-panel_p1142597

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    hace 6 años

Thats pretty much it siriuskey!. Something like that would suit the era of house.

Doesn't need to be Bunning's as there are locally made ones around too.

• m_mdimond
    hace 6 años

I have used bamboo screening bought from Bunnings to hide a fence it looks natural and smart as well, then added potted plants and a water feature in front of that so maybe you could use that idea, it didn't cost the earth either was quite cheap to do and the plants and water feature we added bit by bit , that is what we see ffrom under our back area pergola and the water running.

• PRO
    Vuetrade
    hace 6 años

merync there are a variety of options to attached timber posts directly to concrete - check out our range of post supports here http://vuetrade.com/product-category/vuetrade-products/timber-connectors/post-supports/  the bolt down T Blades in particular are a good option as the bracket is concealed inside the timber posts.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.