Houzz Logo Print
parmar_parveen

Family room needs your help to brighten up

Parry
hace 6 años
Our family room is huge, we have been thinking about different ideas but end up disagreeing as to what would look good .
There is a lot of space behind the sofa that I'm not sure how to best make use of. We already have a dining room so can't put another one. We plan to buy a bigger Tv and put a big media console for the huge wall. There is plenty of sunshine in the morning, not happy with the blinds as they look dull and boring, should I use curtains instead, what colors would you use to make it homely and warm. I have two young teens, want them to spend more time here than in their rooms. What can we do with the niche space near the tv.
I have looked at several photos and ideas but need your help to put is all together.
Any suggestions or ideas please?
Thank you for all your help

Comentarios (6)

• linda Short
    hace 6 años

Great room, wish I had too much room. You need to move the couch away from the corner and the window wall, at least 3 to 4 inches. That will also line it up with the fireplace. A large entertainment center will make that wall. Maybe a bar or library in the niche. I think a game table or farm table would be great for teenagers just to hang at.

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Install glass shelves in the niche with and LED can light in the ceiling of it to light up a collection of something pretty, interesting or unusual. This is is a very awkward arrangement with the sectional jammed in the corner and into the windows. With the larger TV centered on its wall, you'll need to pull the sofa out to float centered with the TV wall and the fireplace. You might try its matching hassock/footstool pushed into that window corner with a pile of colorful pillows to match a new rug. That would make a nice reading spot or a corner lounge for the teen who wants to be on their phone or other device. Your rug is much too small for that big sofa. That's where you will get the "homely & warm" color/pattern. Once you get the furniture arranged, use painter's tape on the floor and tape out a "virtual" rug that slips under the front 1/3 of the sofa seats and extends past the ends of it by a foot or more. Keep it at least 12" from the hearth. If your measurement is not a standard size, then go up a size if you can so you don't get a skimpy one. As for empty space around the sofa, try a sofa or game table behind the short side of it. If you're not installing draperies, hang art between the windows. You can put casegoods under the art too. The art above the mantel is too large; keep it mantel art within the width of the firebox below it.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

There are other colors besides brown. Some light area rugs, LARGE.... a sofa other than brown leather, better lighting to include lamps.Do the space for YOU. Teens will hide in their rooms, they will search the privacy out, It is the nature of the cave dwelling teen. Stopping that is like trying to stop rain. The tv used to draw them out. Less so today as they never are off their phones. That is the new "TV." Even when in front of a tv.....they are on the phone.

Food is your only recourse. And making them eat it in front of you. Otherwise, that food will go the "cave"

• PRO
    Angela Todd Studios | Portland, OR
    hace 6 años

Here are a few ways to help brighten your family room. It looks like your entertainment wall could use some sprucing up, so you could easily try getting a new TV console in a color that might work in your space and add book shelves to the space. Also a new rug and window treatments. See our design in photo three? Then what about adding a pool table or a bar to the back part of the room since you have so much extra space?

• PRO
    Panda Windows & Doors
    hace 6 años

You can always incorporate a large opening and have that indoor/outdoor feel to you living room.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.