Houzz Logo Print
helenis90

Entrance Hallway dilemma. n

Helen Mktennis
hace 6 años

I have a very large entrance hallway, the first bit is a triple story glass, with a balcony which is glass upstairs, it has a stunning metal spiral staircase which im happy with and is also my dining area, I already have a large 12 seater table in, along with a sofa an coffee table, but it still looks empty, and not really welcoming at all, I know this seems like not really a problem, but I want to make a really fantastic first impression, can anyone help. Was thinking of seeing if I can get it put into a TV show for some sort of designer to come and have some ideas but not sure how to go about that ?

Comentarios (32)

• PRO
    Lauren Gilberthorpe Interiors
    hace 6 años

Hi Helen, it would be helpful if you posted some photos so people could give you some advice and tips. Best wishes, Lauren

• Helen Mktennis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thank you, will do, but thought I would wait till it was light to take some photo's, will do tomorrow.

• Emily
    hace 6 años
    Library is always good. I've got tonnes of books and they always add interest in whatever room they've been in. Two properties ago they were in the hall and they looked great.
    Plus if you don't have many books you've got a good reason to go to bookshops!
  • Helen Mktennis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Sofa area
  • Helen Mktennis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Next to sofa trying to do the photos in some sort of order round the room
  • Helen Mktennis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
  • Helen Mktennis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Dining
  • Helen Mktennis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
  • Helen Mktennis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
  • Helen Mktennis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Stairs
  • Helen Mktennis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
  • Helen Mktennis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    View when come in front door
  • Helen Mktennis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
  • Helen Mktennis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Into kitchen
  • Carolina
    hace 6 años

Hi,

What a great space.

I would pull the chair out of the corner and put it near the sofa with a rug to make it into a cosy seating area. Is the chair purple? If it is, purple in the rug and in the sofa cushions will unite it.

Where the chair now is, I'd maybe put a drinks cabinet.

And I'd put electrically operated blinds in the windows around the front door, so not such a massive black, 'cold' shiny surface at night when you're having dinner.

• Carolina
    hace 6 años
    I would also lower the blue painting that’s above the sofa, and hang the big colourful square piece a bit higher.
  • Carolina
    hace 6 años
    Where the green mat is, is that the back door? A large, dark grey door mat would look neater. IKEA has some great ones, but you can also buy them from a roll in carpet shops. http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/textiles-rugs/door-mats/köge-door-mat-grey-black-art-30287939/
  • Helen Mktennis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I had been thinking of putting a bar area style thing in the ‘nook’ where the current purple chair is - and was maybe thinking to get rid of the velvet sofa and put in either a cornor sofa or 2 sofas facing each other sideways on - people do tend to sit in the hall area as it is always very warm and light due to the lots of glass - also can’t think of a good name for the area - I end up sitting on the lower staircase to chat to people .
  • Helen Mktennis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    The green rug thing is my dogs bed area :) it isn’t the official back door as that’s in the kitchen - Every other room in the house has a proper purpose but the hall way other than being quite a wow with regard to the space and it does set an expectation of space in the house it just seems lifeless and a bit lost and I’m lost for ideas
  • Emily
    hace 6 años
    It is a wow space and if I understand it gets sun from that massive window which you enjoy? If that's the case and you can afford to spend a fair bit I would consider having bespoke joinery in there. I've never seen up close the Neville Johnson libraries but the ad images are pretty amazing especially the double height spaces. I bet it would be a big spend though...
    But your space has loads of potential and could end up being the best part of your house!
  • Carolina
    hace 6 años

Just to show you how adding a rug and chairs (okay, I also put in a different sofa, because it was easier and because I like how the round shape echo the stairs) and lowering the picture, make a difference to the feel of the space...

• Carolina
    hace 6 años

Or if you want to go for a real wow factor... Forgot to mention I've also added inbetween (they let through light, even when closed) curtains to give more of a warm/dressed feel to the space.

• Helen Mktennis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thank you Carolina I will definitely look into the curtain idea and changing the sofa’s I do have a gorgous eames classic coffee table on order due in December which I think will look great and will look into the chairs - if I was to keep the current sofa what colours do you think I could put with it ?
  • Helen Mktennis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thank you Carolina I will definitely look into the curtain idea and changing the sofa’s I do have a gorgous eames classic coffee table on order due in December which I think will look great and will look into the chairs - if I was to keep the current sofa what colours do you think I could put with it ?
  • Helen Mktennis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
  • Carolina
    hace 6 años

Lol, what went wrong there?

So, what do you think of a more understated blue/greyish colour?

• Carolina
    hace 6 años

With a purple cushion...

• Carolina
    hace 6 años

From a different viewpoint...

• Carolina
    hace 6 años

Just brainstorming...

• Helen Mktennis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Hopefully will only send this once, don't know what happened before - I like the ink blue option keeping my original sofa option with the purple cushion the best I think, and the rug idea is great, will need to find a large one, I moved the purple chair to the position that you said, but my husband didn't like it there and said people would bash their head on the stairs ! so I moved it back :) n

• PRO
    ODC Door & Glass Systems
    hace 6 años

Wow, what an incredible space. Agree with previous comments that some more soft furnishings would immediately warm the space up - a large set of semi-sheer curtains and a luxurious rug? and what about a lovely big console table with a couple of large table lamps either end? Look forward to seeing what you choose!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.