Houzz Logo Print
ligiamorrison

Help ! Hideous area as you come downstairs.

ligiamorrison
hace 6 años
What to do? I would appreciate some sound advice on what to do here.
Thank you.

Comentarios (17)

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    hace 6 años

If it's in the budget, adding light fixtures in the hallways would really improve the lighting and make it less gloomy. I would move the art from the left of the window to the right.

Apart from that, what is the space usually used for? Is it mainly a transition to little-used spaces like storage or guest rooms? Could you envision people enjoying a little game table or reading corner there?

• ligiamorrison
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    To the left is the entertainment tv room and to the right is a bedroom.
    My laundry room is abutted next to stairs.
    This area has heavy traffic.
  • ligiamorrison
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    The laundry room is to the immediate left side.
  • ligiamorrison
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Sorry, laundry room to the immediate right side.
    The immediate left is a broom closet.
  • PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    hace 6 años

I wouldn't really add any furniture there if it's a heavy traffic area. New lighting would help, but if you want to make it more fun a rug would be your best bet

• ligiamorrison
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I was wondering about improving the appearance of the wall space.
    Mirrors? Canvas? Metal art?
    Narrow Sculptures ?
    I would like a FUN COOL factor there as a focal point coming down the stairs.
    I gravitate toward contemporary/ modern style.
  • PRO
    Wyman Lane Interiors
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Make a statement with a small gallery wall of round mirrors! And if there is room add a narrow console table underneath the mirrors.

Make sure to scale the mirrors to your space but here is another idea!

• ligiamorrison
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I like the contemporary mirror idea or bold large canvases and a super narrow console might work. Should I go with lighter color wall on that entire length of wall and also the sections of wall directly in front to the right and left?
    The entire downstairs and the stairs area is of this same color.
    Would it look disconnected?
  • PRO
    Wyman Lane Interiors
    hace 6 años
    I would change the color of just that wall to a light muted color with a gray undertone. What colors do you like?
  • PRO
    Wyman Lane Interiors
    hace 6 años

Sherwin Williams Misty 6232

Sherwin Williams Modern Gray 7632

Sherwin Williams Zurich White 7626

Here are some wall color ideas.

• PRO
    Buttrum Construction
    hace 6 años

I think the biggest factor is adding light to the room, possibly recessed cans. Add some simple artwork. Depending on your style, we lean to neutral paint colors, but if you like warm colors I wouldn't worry about painting. Unless its been ten years since painted... It looks like you have low ceilings, so the more items your have in a room the smaller it will be. I personally would add a small table with one or two decorative items on it and perhaps the mirrors above. Create a focal point and help balance the room. I would keep it simple.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    hace 6 años

Definitely definitely add can lights to the hallways. It will help so much. You could think about possibly moving the light switches for the tv room and guest room out to the hall too, so you can turn on the lights before you begin the journey down that hall! I hate to be negative about someone else's home but for myself, I would have to work up great courage to walk up to that gaping black hole and reach my hand in to turn on the light. Not everyone is scared of the dark though.

The mirror idea is good :)

• PRO
    Wyman Lane Interiors
    hace 6 años
    You could use LED wall sconces for lighting!
  • mramsey
    hace 6 años

Improved lighting and a console/art/mirror would def. help. I also find the carpet a little glum in combination with the walls. Perhaps a hardwood floor with a colourful (non skid) rug might help? If wood is not an option, cork is a great alternative and can be installed on a slab if that is the case. Also, as it is a non public family area, maybe this would be a great place for a quality framed family photo gallery or kid art display. Here are a few pix for inspiration (love the blue piano wall!) Also, I am guessing this is a basement or lower level, I have found that installing a few "grow" lights (for plants) or full spectrum lights which mimic natural sunlight can help with banishing the underground blues.

• User
    hace 6 años

I say more lights & your choice of wall decal

• phuninthesun
    hace 6 años

Here is a different idea. First I would find a small console table that you like, cut it in half (or less) and mount it to the wall.

Then I would do a white empty picture frame wall. Using frames on your window and other box as well. That way they are part of the decor instead of trying to draw your eye away from them.

You can use modern frames if you do not like the vintage ones. Or frames only, and no console table.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.