Houzz Logo Print
lhammill

You all solved my flooring in this room- -what color for the walls?

Lisa Hammill
hace 6 años

Hi-

You all put me on the right path to more of a Hamptons/Modern Farmhouse space here- by suggesting I put in bluestone ceramic tile-- its done! The ceiling in this very large room (37x22') is white shiplap; the plantation shutters more of an warm white-ivory, and the floor now a dark grey /bluestone . The Fireplace is going to be remodeled to a shiplap structure with a natural beam. The question is the paint color. My gut says to go with a warm white to match shutters, both on the trim, walls and wainscoting. My husband is afraid it will look too stark. I am also considering outlining the frames of the windows in a dark grey or black (since much of the furniture is black). Thoughts ? Guidance? The white samples are BM Acadia White and Seashell; the grey sample is Revere Pewter.

HELP!

Comentarios (17)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Shiplap is a particular cut..meant to repel water. You don’t have shiplap on your ceiling.

You do have something which resembles shiplap on your ceiling…that’s enough, particularly with the plantation shutters. Suggesting: too much horizontally cut wood in one space. Don’t do more on the fireplace or add wainscoting. Way too much of a good thing.

P.S. How about a slate blue for your walls? .

Lisa Hammill agradeció a JudyG Designs
  • Ishbel
    hace 6 años
    I think the walls would look lovely in slate grey or blue and everything else white? Or outline windows in the black and everything else including walls white. What a fab space.
    Lisa Hammill agradeció a Ishbel
  • Lynn G
    hace 6 años

With wainscotting/bead board, I always prefer the look of that being white, and the walls having a color. With less wall to have to paint, and the brightness of the white, you can be a little more brazen with color. I think something in the blue/greyish blue family would work well. With as much light as you have coming in, and white partway up your walls, you can go from a light grey-blue to a navy and anything in between and be able to pull it off without being too dark...

Or could even go a bit crazy with a happy yellow or orange - both would complement the blue/grey floors. The things that are hard to re-paint (trim, cabinets, etc.) be conservative there with white...

I found a white I love at Ben Moore - Chantilly Lace. It's a nice shade I never tire off: bright without being too cool or too warm...

• Karen Grieve Tomblin
    hace 6 años

Love those floors! I agree with Lynn G. use a shade of white for wainscoting/beadboard (I think the same white as the shutters) I'd also paint the window trim the same colour. You said your furniture is mainly black, but if you have an accent color or a color that you really like, use it above the wainscoting on the walls. That way the room will be still be bright but not stark.

• User
    hace 6 años

Depends on the rest of your hosue and your personal taste, but I ihink I'd be looking for something really old school. Something very warm to be a dreamy mellow backdrop/offset for the black furniture and the bluestone.

Lisa Hammill agradeció a User
  • Lisa Hammill
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thank you so much! Love the above pic in particular--Turns out when we went to match the shutters it was very creamy white/ivory- Acadia white is a pretty close match. The shutters, trim and wainscot are all very creamy ivory- the ceiling a bright white shiplap style; the question is the wall above the wainscot. Are you suggesting a soft tan as in the above paint can or all creamy white ivory walls/trim etc with black inset for windows? Love that the room is brightening as we speak with the trim going from black to white! My choice is either a soft greige (couch is tan/taupe) and rest of furniture is mostly black.

Thank you all again so much- picture below with the creamy ivory trim and wainscot in progress!

• hollywaterfall
    hace 6 años

The bluestone flooring is gorgeous! I think white, on white, on white would be too much white personally. But you do what's right for you. If it was me I think a soft blue/gray on the walls to highlight the flooring and contrast the shutters/wainscot would be the way I would go.

• PRO
    Buttrum Construction
    hace 6 años

Gorgeous Flooring! Honestly I would match the trim and bead board to the shutters. Possibly do a gray on the walls. Keep it bright and classy. If you are not wanting everything to seem blue, be careful with the gray tones can really draw out the blue tones.

Lisa Hammill agradeció a Buttrum Construction
  • Lisa Hammill
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Agreed-- I tried a bunch of lighter grey and all but Revere Pewter (a greige) turn either purple or blue. Beadboard and trim now match the shutters- only dilemma is walls in same color as trim or Revere pewter. Help?

• PRO
    Buttrum Construction
    hace 6 años

I would do the Revere Pewter to break it up and really make the shutters pop. Pewter would allow a smooth transition, instead of one extreme to another. White would not be bad as long as your planning on complimenting the room with furniture or perhaps some wall art. Hope this helps

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años
    I would try SW Worldly Gray. I think the Revere Pewter will be too dark. Gorgeous floor.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años
    Worldly gray with whites. Very nice combo. Especially with your floors.
  • User
    hace 6 años

The kitchen pic I posted is of a Belgian kitchen, and since you've got shutters on your windows, I'm skeptical that painting the window insets a dark color would work.

I also think those floors are gorgeous so I would probaby want them to be the star of the show. Therefore, I personally would probably paint everything all the same creamy white, walls trim incuding the ceiling, maybe using variations in gloss/matte. But I'm not in your kitchen and I might change my mind if I was. Really not trying to influence you. I think the most recent pic you posted of your progress shows how well everything is working out.

• User
    hace 6 años

Wanted to add that another reason I might stay with the same hue for everything is that you've got a lot of well-defined geometrics and angles in that room -- shutter slats, beadboard lines, squares of light in the windows, tiling on floor , wainscoting. So I am thinking that staying with one tone doesn't make everything flat, but instead draws the eye to texture,

Luckily it's all just paint you are working with now so nothing is irreversible. Although always nice to love it the first time and start living in it.

• Lisa Hammill
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

About to try putting some of the cream all the way up the wall and see how it looks. I pointed out to my husband- that most of the ivory headboard will not be visible as black tv stand, black sideboard, and long antique shuffleboard are all in the front of much of it. see how it looks at night and then again in the am. Really love the idea of layering texture- and adding warmth via some wood accessories- thank you-- pics to follow!

Also going to try a sample of the SW worldly gray as the revere pewter could end up being too dark agree.

• C. Saw
    hace 6 años

Benjamin Moore Navajo White might be a nice off white that won't be too stark if you're still wanting a whiter shade. It's a warm tone that has different looks depending on the light in the room. I'm going to be painting our main floor + one bedroom this colour next week.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.