Houzz Logo Print
harpy1983

Hanging wall art on stairwell

Dee
hace 6 años
Hello, I’ve attached a couple pictures of our stairwell wall. As you see, with the half wall I think horizontal wall art would look best. I thought of starting with a shelf and have a few framed pics sitting on it. I’ve attached a pic of the shelf and where I thought of hanging it. My other thought is having a rod placed horizontally on the wall with a few framed pics hanging from chains (I attached a pic). My husband suggested removing the lighted wall sconce and replacing with a chandelier along the ceiling somewhere. Bottom line is... I need help decorating this wall and would appreciate a professional opinion. Thank you!!!

Comentarios (25)

• frenchtarragon
    hace 6 años

DH is a trooper!

I like the idea of replacing the sconce with a chandelier. I also really like the hanging frames idea; I think it will be easier to execute than the shelf idea because it's harder to play with heights on a shelf, but you'll want to since the ceiling is vaulted.

• PRO
    User
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

I agree with your husband about removing the sconce and adding a lovely chandelier. It is a tough wall because of the long horizontal wall vent. The shelf he is holding will look a little small for the scale of the wall, so removing the sconce and doing something longer similar to what you pictured would be OK. I could also see 1 large piece of art offset to the left, almost centered under the peak in the ceiling. That combined with a beautiful chandelier may be a nice clean solution.

I think each of the following could be applied to your stairway.

• Porter Edun
    hace 6 años

Agree the wall sconce is tiny and lost and should be removed even if not replaced with a hanging light. The shelf you are showing on that large wall is very small and will be swallowed up/look out of place.

If you go with an iron light over the staircase I think that would be all you need. I think an orb might look nice. I just grabbed this one.... doesn't need to be exact if you like an orb.

• Porter Edun
    hace 6 años

Ah Ethan Allen.... great minds...... I think personal photos viewed from the living area might not be the best option. Agree with some framed art in a vignette if you want to go that route.

The chandelier makes a huge difference on it's own.

• Dee
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thank you all. So... definitely will remove the sconce with or without replacing with a chandelier. If I do replace with chandelier, would this be hung at the peak of the vaulted ceiling? You can’t see in my pic, but I do have a ceiling fan centered (open floor plan). Would this look odd having chandelier and ceiling fan along the same peak?
  • PRO
    User
    hace 6 años

I would center the new chandelier above the stairwell. As long as the distance is good and scale and style complimentary it should look great!

• Dee
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Porter Edun, you suggest no personal photos along the wall? Instead, Artwork? Would the rod with hanging wall art look better?
  • Irene Morresey
    hace 6 años
    An arched mirror reflecting chandalier would look awesome there, with perhaps a bench seat under it or narrow table. A thought
  • Dee
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    The shelf I was going to use was a center starting point. I was going to set art on shelf and then add art work along both sides the shelf, creating length. But I can definitely use a longer shelf instead. I have looked and looked for images of wall art on stairwells with half wall and I can’t seem to find any.
  • mjconti
    hace 6 años

For some reason, a shelf of any length doesn't seem to work in this space. It is an 'add on' that doesn't seem necessary. Or anything hung from chains on a rod either. One large piece of art would look really nice. It could be framed art, or wrapped canvas.

• Porter Edun
    hace 6 años

Where is the ceiling fan in the living space adjacent where you have the console table with the candles behind the couch? Can you take a photo from the other side toward the wall we are discussing?

I would do a vignette, not shelves on the wall. I do love the light over the stairs. I would personally hang it opposite of the peak so it can hang a bit lower... opposite being to the right of the peak approximately where I placed it. Otherwise, on the opposite side it would have to hang high.

• Porter Edun
    hace 6 años

I would probably just do a light and live with it for a while. I think it would add a lot and shelving is not going to look the best IMO. You can add a vignette down the road if you like. Some times not covering every wall is a better choice than trying to fill spaces that make things look cluttered. Again, and your husband was sweet to try that shelf out... yet, I am not seeing shelving on the wall.

However, need to see the ceiling fan, what it looks like, where it is.......in regards to a light over the stairs.

• tatts
    hace 6 años

Don't put a shelf that sticks out where people will walk past it. It's sure to get bumped, especially if they are carrying anything, then you've got broken glass all over the place.

• Dee
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Porter Edun... Thank you! I’ve attached a few more pics with ceiling fan and at different angles.
  • Laurie Schrader
    hace 6 años

Dee, i hope you don't let go of the family pic wall. I'm an outlier, in this opinion, But? In a private place? CELEBRATE your family. Let your children see that you do. There's so much impersonal "decor" advice out there- but you hit on this one?

Go for it, and don't look back. The rods are classic, and could take replacement art, should you ever choose it. For now?

Why not have some fun, and personalize? Who sees the space, most of the time? You two and your children. Heck yes. Own it.

• Dee
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    And one last picture of ceiling fan at another angle :)
  • mjconti
    hace 6 años

Well, after looking at your pictures - ceiling fan, 3 lights hanging over an island - maybe another light hanging down is too much. Maybe your sconce light could be replaced with a larger one? That would be a simple fix, especially if there is an opening with wires behind it that you'd have to close up/patch the drywall.

• Porter Edun
    hace 6 años

Too many lights unfortunately... I wouldn't do a light on the stairs with the ceiling fan there.

I'd do a tall mirror or two panels vertically (as if this was cut in half down the center) in the first photo sold at Home Depot individually vs. the photo from the HD site showing 4.

or a mirror such as:

Clean, simple and enlarges the space a bit. I would remove the sconce....

• Porter Edun
    hace 6 años

http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Howard-Elliott-Collection-38-in-x-34-in-Window-Pane-Framed-Mirror-9068/204260175

Or you might be able to do something creative with three of the panels as they are only 34" in width and 38" tall.

• Dee
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Yes, too much lighting... remove the sconce and scratch the chandelier idea. I do like the idea of adding a mirror, vignette or something simple. Whatever I go with, I will post a picture. Thanks so much for everyone’s advice and suggestions.
  • blaze_1508
    hace 6 años

following (we have almost the same type of wall...I thought someone else took a picture of our house while I wasn't home :))

• Dee
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Blaze, That’s too funny. I must ask what you did with your wall, if you don’t mind sharing. I’m sure we share the same dilemma. :)
  • blaze_1508
    hace 6 años

Actually we haven't done anything with it and I don't think we'll plan on it. The scrolls will stay and is the first thing one sees when walking through the front door. We do want to change the chandelier, which screams "I'm from 1990....change me"

Our wall does seem quite a bit smaller, although feels huge in the house:

• Dee
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Blaze, yes very similar! I do like your scrolls on the end wall. I may just add some art on my end wall. Very nice :)
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.