Houzz Logo Print
mitchell_parker

Pros: What's going to be hot in 2018?

Mitchell Parker
hace 6 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

Calling all professionals! We want to hear what your trend predictions are for 2018. Please tell us the materials, colors, styles and ideas that you think will make a big splash in the coming year! What are you seeing in the showrooms and at trade shows that you know your clients will love? (Shown here is Porcelanosa's Krion solid surface, which has antibacterial properties.)

Comentarios (55)

• thatsmuchbetter
    hace 6 años

Whats gonna need to be hot is ETHICS in contracting and SMART VIGILANT vetting by homeowners. In 2018 people should realize that sourcing and hiring a true craftsman is the way to go and realize its very hard to avoid the ever growing population of imposters. Anyone can be a PRO on houzz , nearly anyone can get a license and buy some tools. People are going to need to stop hiring hacks because of the cheap price attraction and attempting to get the Expensive look for half price by skimping on craftsmanship, cutting corners and sourcing ever cheaper products.. If craftsmanship and the future of quality home building has a chance major changes are in order. Houzz if it wanted to could influence this change .

Shop til you drop America just prepare to be lambasted when you show up on the forums crying bloody tile murder and maybe look in the mirror more in 2018. Takes a sucker to let A hack in the front door dont be blinded buy $ and Wanting.

• auntthelma
    hace 6 años

what??

• trickyputt
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Obviously they did not know I have never called myself a pro. However, I am now interested in flooring! I see nightlights as LED illuminated pressure activated glass tiles throughout a home with a daytime shutoff to start. And yes, I found the blue monkey chick in Avatar to be a hottie.

• PRO
    Gameroom Show
    hace 6 años

Vintage collectibles! We hope to see designers, decorators and home owners bring more touches of nostalgia and old-world charm into family living spaces and restaurant bar decor. Opt for quality collectibles from a by-gone era and share the history of these conversation starters with your family and friends. Let us know your thoughts.

• PRO
    PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
    hace 6 años

As with any year, there are multiple trends going on at the same time. You'll see plenty of moody spaces in dark greens, blues, purples, even black - though no one could do a whole house of that! On the opposite end, pastels like mauve, peachy pink and grayed-down blue will be trendy. Also seeing a lot of classic rooms built around a theme of black & white with gold + emerald green (or a shot of hot pink, navy, or turquoise). Kitchen finishes are less busy; highly patterned countertops less and less common.

• sheryl nikpoor
    hace 6 años

We are currently looking for a new home. Everything we look at has either gold, brass, silver or pewter tile in the bathrooms and kitchens. This is a big NO for me, sorry guys. It looks cheap and it is a fad that will fade quickly.

• PRO
    Lisa B Morris Interiors
    hace 6 años
    Textiles with large scale patterns and fresh lively colors, especially shades of orange, pink, salmon, baby blue and navy.
    Art will become the most important element in a room. Fun, easy and whimsical rooms will be more popular than monotone rooms. That’s what I’m seeing!
  • User
    hace 6 años

Who cares? Probably people on this forum who are interested in interior design.

• Jmc101
    hace 6 años

Thanks, Lena.

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 6 años

fashion has gone 'magpie opulence' for the spring collections, i wonder if this is in response to too many grey walls. will *increased* boho home design follow the trend?

this from sept 30 wsj, i can provide a link but its behind a paywall.

"As the fashion industry scrambles to find hit trends, some designers appear to be throwing everything at the wall in the hope that something grabs consumers.

Labels including Marc Jacobs, Coach, Prada, Marni and Gucci, whom many credit with sparking this trend, have been sending models down the runways in recent weeks wearing jackets over jackets and skirts and dresses over pants and carrying several bags and scarfs. Coco Chanel’s famous maxim—“Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take at least one thing off”—doesn’t apply to these Spring 2018 collections.

Runways, of course, often showcase extreme styles and stores eventually sell toned-down versions. But the pile-on approach gives stores more options, increasing the chances that women will see something they covet when the styles arrive on racks and shelves in a few months."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-many-bags-can-one-model-carry-1506769200

• geoffrey_b
    hace 6 años

Good taste never goes out of style. People who buy on 'trend', seem superficial, not knowing, insecure.

• PRO
    Harris McClain Kitchen & Bath
    hace 6 años

I see Black Stainless as the new finish color for kitchens. In appliances and faucets and cabinet hardware. Everyone is sick of stainless and are looking for a new finish. I have been saying this for the last year when black stainless first came out in appliances.

• PRO
    Danmar Cabinet Company
    hace 6 años

In my market white is certainly not going away. With that said, two tone kitchens will continue to be popular. Warm vibrant colors as accent pieces (art work mentioned above). Dark woods like walnut, black or deep rich blues or greens on the island. I see modern kitchens taking more of the transitional market with a clean simple minimalistic concept.

• PRO
    Plain & Posh
    hace 6 años

I see a move towards medium tones and a move back to stained wood in cabinetry. Gone is the dark cherry, but I think a nice light to medium brown tone will make its way in as we ebb towards a more organic look in our kitchens and baths.

I also see darker forest greens and pale pinks becoming the it color for 2018! These go beautifully with the copper tones that are also trending.

• PRO
    Walker Woodworking
    hace 6 años

We are so excited to announce we will be opeing our new showroom in 2018! Greenbrook Design Center.

High gloss and Clean Finishes. Blues and greens are the trending colors, and the desire to create organization, in the kitchen, bathroom & closets are also in huge demand. Lighting is a big decision to bring all the elements together.

We are seeing a trend in the "Beverage center" of the home. Perhapos it's coffee or wine, whatever your desire, everyone seems to want to have a beverage center, which also cuts down on kitchen traffic when entertaining.

• PRO
    Siegler Design Services + INTERIORS
    hace 6 años

I agree with Walker Woodworking about the beverage center in the home. I think people like having a designated "go to spot" for kids and visitors to choose drinks and snacks! It makes being a "hostess" easier and it's fun for visitors to select their own items and ask questions about the treats you've provided. ! There is a lot of choice for this family fun feature in furniture or for "built-ins".

• PRO
    ZAZ STUDIO
    hace 6 años

Fearless uses of color and pattern! Modern-luxe and european styles are overtaking the country living and minimalist mainstream that has been around for years. The newest trends are about mixing luxurious fabrics, metal accents, and beautiful artistic motifs to create chic spaces that really make a statement. It's very refreshing to see clients starting to ask for that Parisian look I hold near and dear to my heart. It's definitely an exciting time to be designing!

• havingfun
    hace 6 años

Summer! lol

more blue, more color, more money spent on real art. price of things that make our lives and the planet better become more affordable.

• Milly Rey
    hace 6 años

Dang it. I painted my master bathroom a light mint to avoid the trends.

• PRO
    Milano Doors
    hace 6 años

Hello. I believe that the color yellow – a burst of positivity.
    Yellow. And not just yellow and juicy. Optional to paint the walls, put in the living room colorful sofa, a neat coffee table, bright poster in the area. This situation is charged positive: look – and multiplies. In it goes and the rest of the shades: lemon, mustard, Canary.

• day2day
    hace 6 años

From reading all the replies, it seems like there are widely held views on what the trends will be for 2018. It is confusing.

I like learning about/using interior design ideas but the more I read, the more I think I should stop reading and just do what feels right and comfortable to me. Guess that's the whole idea.....to be an individual and play to your own personality.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 6 años

Downsizing…at least in my area. Huge homes are staying on the market longer and smaller homes are being picked up as soon as they are listed. Consignment shops will continue to flourish as the older population gives up the Oriental rug and formal furniture. West Elm and stores that sell the mid-century look are becoming popular with those who used to go with the Ethan Allen look.

And IKEA….renovating the small downsize and banking the profit from the big house…who wants an $80,000.00 kitchen? Going out for supper; traveling more…on and on.

So, my guess for the 2018 trend (which is going to be around much longer than just 2018) is simple, clean lines, whites, purple,(it goes great with white hair), beautiful throw pillows and touches of black.

• havingfun
    hace 6 años

day2, when i first came here 3 years ago, I was lost too. I also found it all fascinating! and i have learned a lot, for one thing-we who play here think that we have value as pros! lol

but the little tricks, like if the room does not feel right, look at do you have at least 3 of the supportive colors in the room? pattern sizes relevant? that in essence there is no true thing as colors that don't go together. i have seen everything paired at some point. that is just mind blowing.

• PRO
    MOYA ONEILL DESIGN
    hace 6 años
    More nature, bringing the outside in....yay!.
  • PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    hace 6 años

I foresee neutral walls but pops of color in the artwork, pillows, and very vibrant rugs. Furniture will be statement pieces, with navy and dark colors making a comeback.

• User
    hace 6 años

Another big trend will be RESTORATION of all of the chalk painted pieces and white painted woodwork. Natural materials, including wood, will once again begin to be appreciated for their WARMTH.

Every single day someone wants to know how to warm up a cold all white space. Here’s Tip#1: Don’t make everything white in the first place.

• PRO
    hace 6 años

I hope more of the "letting nature inside" continues. (plant walls, plant pockets, planter boxes, glass, glass, glass and resin panels etc...) Amazing color choices will always be with us as color is "energy" and reflects our human temperaments so accurately. And while color choices wax and wane I never get tired of nature and great views and seeing nature everyday in some way. I think we know now how healthy this is for us to have nature part of our everyday life so, I see the variety in which this is done changing and growing all the time.\

My professional mantra for now and going forward is "wellbeing is a necessity" and however that can be woven into an interior will be considered by me and shared with my friends, family and clients!

• PRO
    Aaron Holland Painting, LLC.
    hace 6 años

I normally don't "follow" trends. They tend to look outdated more quickly (e.g., avocado green appliances anyone?, pink porcelain bathrooms?) than other styles and encourage choosing what is "new" to what goes with a personal vision or style.

And (where is that soapbox?)...trends have the disadvantage of having not been 'tested' such as cement board siding when it first came out (I think we all remember how that went).

Just saying...

• Mrs Pete
    hace 6 años

What's going to be hot in 2018?

Nothing I want.

I much prefer to avoid trends in all choices home-decor. Who wants something that -- by definition -- will be "out" soon?

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 6 años

Siegler, et ux

You response caught my eye when you defined “modern” as an architectural movement.

Would you explain why “modern” and “contemporary” are used as synonyms? One is not the other.

• PRO
    hace 6 años

There is "Modern" the architectural style, movement, philosophy and aesthetic as developed in the 20th century from the Bauhaus on through to current times and the interior planning that was connected to it (Thonet, KNOLL, Herman Miller, Steelcase, Versteel, ICF, Harter and many, many other makers and design leaders).

Then there is "modern" used as an adjective to visually describe what people mean sometimes when they say modern and they intend to convey styling that is current, new, contemporary, fresh, clean styling and minimal detailing. Studying the history of architecture and design there is no "contemporary" design historical period but, there is a very distinctive architectural and interior design period associated with people like Louis Sullivan, Frank Lloyd Wright, Mies van der Rohe, Charles Eames and many, many others and this period is thought of by scholars as "Modern".

I come across this confusion between the use of the words modern and contemporary all the time. Usually it is because, the individual using the word "Modern" has no information on Modern as an architectural period or Modern as an interior design period of history. Of course real history is never exact or black and white but, in general I think it is accepted and taught that 20th century was the start of "modern" design. This is a big topic. Bigger than my communication skills today!

I guess what's important to me in my work is that when I talk to trades and clients and they use the word "modern" I try to find out if they mean a specific feeling or product or do they simply mean "now" and of present times. An item or look or product can be contemporary but, it's not necessarily "modern" in its qualities and elements. Whereas an item with "modern" aesthetics" will always pay attention to "form, line, function, detailing, simplicity and other qualities associated with the 20th century aesthetics that came out of the Modern Movement. Maybe even some industrial designers or artist and architectects can comment here too.

I am no teacher but, I think I had good teachers and the history of architecture and interiors is complicated, nuanced and tied to actual history. Interiors is a field that is fraught with misunderstandings, language misuse etc... I think we become, too, used to it and should object more often but, that can subject us to criticism and after a while it's just easier to say nothing and just focus on helping the clients we do have. But, every now and then my slight irritation with lack of understanding about Modern as a design movement does "poke through" and you JudyG Designs just happened to spot it today! THANK YOU for your question and thank you for noticing my use of language! I am here to share what I can and assist if I can and I am thrilled to contribute when I can. I love all design and I bet you do too!

• PRO
    fauxwohl.com
    hace 6 años

I hope you are right.

• Milly Rey
    hace 6 años

Siegler--I say "modernist" instead of modern so people aren't confused. It's still "mid century modern," of course, but that's not confusing. There is also "post modernist" which is the segue into 1980s and later styles, while true historical modernist is 1910sish to 1970s.

• havingfun
    hace 6 años

I just saw an article, no more gray, copper, shiplap, or mcm.

• Jaaered Brown
    hace 6 años

"Contemporary, Classical, Bathroom." Dried Rouge colour pallete blends, calming an overtly buisy lifestyle, neolithic countertops giving the glossy finish of sensuality, for both him & her.. a cloudy transparency for the glass walkways, water flowing to it's destination.. the Lotus flowered bath.

• Maria Privat
    hace 6 años

Probably anything of bright color that matches well with the too much gray.

I'm thinking deep, more blue greens, blues with a hint of turquoise in them, bright ochre yellow and earthy orange.

Warm woods and hopefully even warm metals.

That'll balance things out, where people went over the top on the non-color trip.

• havingfun
    hace 6 años

the article said you should mix your metals. oh yes no more open plan.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    hace 6 años

Geeze, if this is what "pros" are promoting, I've very glad that I'm pretty much retired. My advice to clients was always, "Do what your love and know you'll love for decades to come". I don't think in 35 years as a designer, I ever used the term "trending" once! While I certainly don't put my self in the same league as John Fowler, Sister Parrish or Mario Buatta, can you really imagine them ever using that term?

• havingfun
    hace 6 años

you are not alone in that belief I am not a pro, and will be glad when many things stop being called classic, etc. but i still believe that no matter how many do or don't use gray or whatever, if you love it, it is what you should use.

• PRO
    Ryan Olivieri, Inc.
    hace 6 años

Trends are funny because they get diliuted so fast by the bell curve, anyone who has invested in a top quality original is quickly embarrassed by cheap impostors. Competent design professionals have their own voice and operate outside of trends.

• Milly Rey
    hace 6 años

Anglo, the problem with this advice is that people move an average of once every seven years now. You may do what you love, but if the next person doesn't...you pay for it twice.

I usually consider resale in my advice even though I never want to move again because most people are going to have to.

Most of the regulars here are in the top 5% of US income. Most high end clients are in the top 1%. But most of the people asking questions aren't. Most don't rip out every kitchen to redo it just for them. That's the $1.8 mil and up bracket here. It's not the reality that most people live in. We should be respectful of that. My advice doesn't consider resale only when it's clear it doesn't matter.

• northface99
    hace 6 años

FB India Yellow is my trend for the next 20 years!

• PRO
    hace 6 años

I have clients at all budget levels and it's just common sense to view one's home / real estate through the filter of "increasing the value or decreasing the value". Realtors do it all time. I have no problem harnessing my consultation to my client's criteria whether it's monetary or a paint color. I have perfect faith in my ability to design a solution (at any price point) that a client will care about and want to implement. I say that from experience not from ego. One of my first questions to homeowner's usually is related to how long they plan to live in the home and their answer helps me guide my "best advice" for them from there.

Sometimes we do have to give a client disappointing answers or help them dial down their remodel or improvement ambitions but, that just goes with the territory. Nevertheless "design" planning has value whether improving a reading corner or a whole house. It doesn't just change the home or room, it can change us inside and we can bloom.

I do not depend on "trends" for my consultation and recommendations to a client but, it can be very inspiring and exciting for all of us to see what sellers are bringing to the market place. I find new things inspiring and worth sharing all the time. Who's to say if it becomes, a "trend" or not. I care about good design solutions. And, I always love being excited and amazed by NEW things and I love having excited and inspired clients! I will never never tire of that! Above I've posted a cool item saved recently! I love how "texture" is becoming appreciated and sought after as another tool in the design tool box at last!

• PRO
    Ryan Olivieri, Inc.
    hace 6 años

And a second and a third for texture.

• erasistible
    hace 6 años

Speaking for myself here. My husband and I are retirees and are fairly certain that this will be the last time we will make any major updates to our home. We are going with timeless, simple choices in anything that is attached to the walls and floors. We are part of a huge group of people so I hope we can find lots of inspiration here that can help us get a fresh look without being too awfully trendy.

• PRO
    The Persian Carpet
    hace 6 años

Finally seeing color in rugs after years of grey. Handmade Afghan rugs in rich colors and geometric patterns are huge. Also seeing blues/greens in same for those wanting a less traditional look.

• PRO
    Panda Windows & Doors
    hace 6 años

Panda Windows and Doors!

• havingfun
    hace 6 años

cute panda!

i read couple places where people spoke of more hand made things. do you all think there could be a backlash where the things we don't care about we buy at big box, but all other things are handmade giving us a more unique world

• PRO
    Meadow Blu
    hace 6 años

We have a whole page dedicated to our 2018 color inspirations on our site! Check them out here: http://www.shopcandelabra.com/love-need/in-living-color

Happy Holidays everyone!

• PRO
    Selectblinds
    hace 6 años

We put a list together today on our blog regarding 2018 Trend Tips, feel free to check it out and comment!

https://www.selectblinds.com/blog/2018-trend-tips/

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.