Houzz Logo Print
sophiamalcolm33

curb appeal upgrade

sophia malcolm
hace 6 años

Hi, My husband and I bought a 1920's house and we added a front porch to it but it still need some work on the front curl appeal. What do you think I can do to bring it to life?

Comentarios (9)

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

My first glance shows you should either remove the dark color from the trim around the door OR add the same dark color to the two adjoining windows.

And the two bushes by the sidewalk in the middle of the yard look mighty lonely.

sophia malcolm agradeció a littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    hace 6 años

I think the trim is too dark. It's shrinking the house. I would switch to a lighter trim, and then paint the door a bold color. Some flowers along the walkway would also look nice.

sophia malcolm agradeció a Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
  • sophia malcolm
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thank you Sina and Littlebug. I never even thought about the trims being too dark. What color are you thinking?

I will most definitely add more plants

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    hace 6 años

I would get rid of the shrubs flanking the walk.

sophia malcolm agradeció a Yardvaark
  • Sigrid
    hace 6 años

A pretty color on the trim would perk up the house a lot. That and more landscaping. I think walks look good flanked by plants. I've seen very simple schemes, like hostas or grasses really make a plain cement path look like a great entrance.

sophia malcolm agradeció a Sigrid
  • PRO
    Yardvaark
    hace 6 años

I meant to comment on the paint colors but forgot. I agree that a trim color not so stark would be an improvement. As it is, the black gives a harsh, somewhat ghoulish Goth look to the scene. It does not look CHEERY or HAPPY, both adjectives for what most peoples want a home to seem like.

sophia malcolm agradeció a Yardvaark
  • User
    hace 6 años

Lovely home! This is going to be so lovely when you are done. And building the front porch was a HUGE improvement. The house needed it to give it a more welcoming and inviting touch.

Just a couple of suggestions:

Others said the trim was too dark, and it is too dark. A paler color gray would work better. The dark color with the White House body is a stark contrast and doesn't say 'welcome' to your guests. Either color is ok, they just don't work well together. So you might want to change the colors to either 'bold and modern' or 'cozy'; your home can handle either.

The portico needs to have texture because it looks like flat plywood and doesn't flatter how cute the house can really become. You can add texture by hammering up similar wood siding as on the side of the house. If you can't locate that kind of siding, you can go with a different texture, such as pre-made shingles which can to cut and trim fit into the portico overhang. Pre-made shingles don't have to be painted either.

The paint on the horizontal rails of the porch needs to be the same color as the vertical rails.

The posts holding up the portico are too tiny and need to be beefed up, doubled in width; see the two photos below.

Also you are missing a post on the left side of the front door; you have two posts on the right of the porch and one post on the left of the porch. The porch needs another post on the left of the front door to create that symmetry .

Hazlewood Ave, Eagle Rock · Más información

Queen Anne Bungalow Resurrection · Más información

• PRO
    Amy R Walter
    hace 6 años

I like Doug's designed columns very much. The house would look nice painted light yellow ( [https://www.houzz.com/products/lancaster-yellow-estate-emulsion-paint-prvw-vr~12967828[(https://www.houzz.com/products/lancaster-yellow-estate-emulsion-paint-prvw-vr~12967828) ) or a light green-grey ( [https://www.houzz.com/products/green-blue-estate-emulsion-paint-prvw-vr~12969582[(https://www.houzz.com/products/green-blue-estate-emulsion-paint-prvw-vr~12969582) ) with widened, white columns on either side of the entrance to the porch. More green plants, wild flowers and hydrangea.

sophia malcolm agradeció a Amy R Walter
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.