Houzz Logo Print
paul_bennett61

Can I get my real wooden floor to appear white oiled?

Paul Bennett
hace 6 años
Hi all!

We recently moved out our renovated London flat, we put down engineered wood with a white oil finish that we really loved.

We've moved out and the house we're in has a really really tired floor that we need to do something with. We've sanded a bit off, see pic attached. It looks quite yellow, is there any way I can achieve the same finish as the engineered wood, or the floors in those pictures - or is it just a dream!

Thanks!

Comentarios (7)

• Frank
    hace 6 años
    A real aged wood floor like yours can be a beautiful feature; mine looked like attached after thorough sanding and varnishing (that picture taken nine years after the work). If you want to preserve the classical / original style of the flat - start with keeping the floor really!

It's possible to whitewash it (just apply limewash after sanding/cleaning) but it being softwood (pine), a few hard varnish coats afterwards may still be useful to protect it.

Unless major structural work touches that floor... would really try to keep it. Mine had to go, structural work underneath, and woodworm...the one thing I'm really sad I lost.
  • PRO
    Anonymous
    hace 6 años
    Yes you can. You need to try Blanchon Ageing Agent or Grey Wood Reactive. Both these will react against the golden tannins and leave the timber greyer.
    Get a couple of small sample sizes and experiment. Its really easy to use and brushes wash in detergent.

The other option is to use two part wood bleach which again will bring the tannins out. This however is difficult and messy. I wouldn't recommend on a large floor area.
  • PRO
    Anonymous
    hace 6 años
    Finally you can try the homespun method. Leave 0000 grade steel wool in a bottle of white vinegar or pickling vinegar for a day or so. Strain out the wire wool then paint on the liquid.
    Wait and watch
  • Resh
    hace 6 años

Leave it. This trend for artificial-looking whitewashed floors will pass, but the desire for real wood will not. If you want it white, at least paint it so you can sand it all off one day when you want to!

• Juliet Docherty
    hace 6 años

One easy way of doing it is to buy some Bona Mega varnish. Sand floors (you'll have to anyway) and add some off white paint to the first coat of varnish. After it dries, add further clear coats. I have done this twice before and it looks good, though not necessarily as 'swish' as the oiled oak floor in the image.

• PRO
    Istoria by Jordan Andrews
    hace 6 años

Hi Paul - we 2nd Judith, use Blanchon but make sure you test in small patches first - maybe where you're intending on putting the sofa!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.