Houzz Logo Print
matt_olson3

Marble tile discoloration in shower

matt_olson3
hace 6 años

I have recently discovered a problem and need some expert advise.

We have a shower that was just put in 8 weeks ago, and the white marble color appears to be "washed-out" or grayish around the drain...maybe more in areas where water strikes the floor directly? The shower has a gentle slope to a central drain...We squeegee it religiously after every use and keep a fan on it to complete the drying process. Is this "graying" of the white tiles normal?

The contractor used the schluter system, sealed the marble, and used "epoxy grout" on the floor. There are no surface cracks, splits, or spaces visible. The tile guy was experienced.

UPDATE: I dried it out a few days (below) but that small gray discoloration in front of the drain remains visible

Can anyone help me? Could this just be the tile taking in a little extra water?

Comentarios (69)

• PRO
    Melodie Schooley
    hace 5 años
    I just want to say that no grout, epoxy grout or not is waterproof. and there is a lot of mis information here. I just had a 55 year old very seasoned tile guy install a mud bed with a marble hex and we are having the same issue. weather you seal the marble or not water always goes through the joints. I never knew even tho I've been selling and installing tile for 25 years this could happen. My best guess right now is it's the moisture around the drain. there is no stopping it schluter pan or not. I would never sell natural stone to anyone with a wheel chair.
  • bethanymcg
    hace 5 años

Matt, Did you ever find a solution to this problem? My shower floor is almost identical to yours. Installed 4-5 months ago and has sections of darkened marble, a significant amount near the wall with the shower head and surrounding the drain. The contractor is coming out to take a look but I get the feeling he will try to say this is "normal" Just hoping for a quick update. Thanks!

matt_olson3 agradeció a bethanymcg
  • matt_olson3
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Hey guys! Yeah...it’s not Completely fixed. To update everyone, we talked to the contractors, tile store, and reps from schluter. We heard a variety of explanations / opinion, including that the marble may be Chinese sourced, which is apparently of lower quality. We even had a “marble expert” come out and grind down a section to see if it was a surface stain.

To to be honest, we kind of gave up. No one had answers. In the end, we stopped using that shower for several month, and eventually the water stains went away / dried up. I then put down several coats of marble sealers...

We use it now, but water stains / discoloration are still present (in different areas ironically). The more we use the shower, the worse it gets...and we literally towel dry the shower after every use. I included an updated photo. As you can see, it looks slightly better (less gray discoloration), but it’s not perfect.

Of note, we have another marble bathroom with similar color tile, with almost no discoloration...

• matt_olson3
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

bethanymcg...best of luck. Wish I had a better answer. I know it’s frustrating.

• PRO
    Melodie Schooley
    hace 5 años

Again, a lot of more mis-information here. no one can tell you the problem. It does not have to do with anything installed incorrectly, a dehumidifier will not solve your problem. Most likely the marble is discolored by chemicals in your water and has physically changed and you can't change it back. my advice is if you can't live with the discoloration, tear it out and replace it.

• Tile Corrector
    hace 5 años

OLD thread Why dont you elaborate on your theory and misinformation?

• gerries
    hace 4 años

We had our master bath remodeled using Akdo Carrara belle marble penny tile on the shower floor. After 10 uses by a couple who squeegee and dry the shower, the tile turned dark along the curb. We have not used the shower for a week and used fans for a few days with no visible difference. A hair line crack is visible in the grout along the curb, so I am wondering if special caulking is what is needed where the wall meets the floor. The installation instructions say to seal the marble but some on line advice is to now seal marble on a shower floor. They claim the sealer traps the water in the marble. Any advice?

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    hace 4 años

@gerries - Your issue appears to be a improperly sloped liner as the discoloration is concentrated in one area. The original poster had random dark spots which there is no way to avoid. Sometimes it happens others not.

• gerries
    hace 4 años

How can this be corrected?

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    hace 4 años

It can't be fixed without a rip-out and proper installation.

• gerries
    hace 4 años

Would you please elaborate on what you mean "an improperly sloped liner"? The shower floor has a 1/4 inch or more slope per foot toward drain. What would be recommended? The tiler is considered one of the best in the area, so I felt confident he knew how to build a shower pan.

• PRO
    Melodie Schooley
    hace 4 años

marble changes color, there is no way to prevent it. city water today has more chemicals and the marble floor can discolor in spots, most likely if an experienced tile guy did the shower floor than your marble has changed color due to water. it has nothing to do with caulking cracking or grout cracking it is the natural character of the stone.

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

@Gerries - The floor can be sloped perfectly on the top but that has nothing to do with the slope of the liner beneath. Water penetrates the shower tile assembly until it meets the waterproofing. (liner or other) This is normal. Unfortunately if the liner is laid flat or has a low spot water will sit there instead of weeping to the drain. The mortar bed shall remain saturated. If not allowed to dry between showers it will increase in size. Yes it can wick vertically up cement board walls and show through marble there as well.

Research shower liner preslope.

• gerries
    hace 4 años

Thank you, I will look into that.

• kmr12017
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

following...

• gerries
    hace 4 años

At this point, an independent tile restorer assessed the situation with our shower floor. He took moisture readings and slope measurements. The moisture reading on the darkened tile and grout was 100% , on other tile, not darkened, the reading was at 30%. The slope is made at 1/4 inch per foot, but not consistent, so the slope was not great enough for water to leave the surface. He said, just removing tile from the surface and increasing the slope of the bed would have helped but not necessarily been a long term solution as with a pre-slope. So the question still remains, where is the water, is it just in the grout and tile, or is it in or under the mortar bed? After 2 weeks of non use and drying, should the tile and grout have been dry?

• millworkman
    hace 4 años

The water sits on top of the pan and beneath the tile.

• PRO
    Mint tile Minneapolis
    hace 4 años

yes it should , go ahead and set up the dehumidifier for a few days , based on your drain its likely you have a clamp drain weep system.

????How did the shower pan LINER drain after the flood test was performed, (that is when the preslope gets verified to drain correctly , before the mudbed.) if you have low flat spots water can be 1-4 inches below tile and unable to downhill ski its way to the weeps in drain. may be a perfect preslope but a wrinkle in the pvc liner or lump in a hot mop etc.... not enuf info to say.

• gerries
    hace 4 años

The liner was tested and did not leak. I do do not have a pre slope but one has now been recommended.

• gerries
    hace 4 años

As you can see in the picture, the discoloring is spreading. Next week the shower floor tile will be removed and an assessment of the water issue will determine if the pan needs to be removed or just regraded. I will give an update when we have the findings of the exploratory shower surgery.

• kmr12017
    hace 4 años

We are experiencing the EXACT same issue! Our bathroom reno was completed in early January an immediately had issue with the "wet" floor look. The contractor and tile guy do not believe the issue to be moisture related. They suspect stain from glue used to adhere mesh to tile? The glue is transparent and the mesh is white so... I am eager to see your update following surgery.

After only 30 seconds of water and waiting over two week to dry

A month in and used 20 minutes a day. We have given up on the floor ever "drying out."

• gerries
    hace 4 años

So sorry, I can imagine how disappointed you are feeling. Your floor looks a lot like mine except that my shower floor didn't get dark around the drain. I hope ripping the tile out will reveal the cause, My fear is that after going through all of the trouble it will happen again.

• gerries
    hace 4 años

For those who have been following this conversation on marble tile darkening in shower, yesterday the tile was taken removed along with the mortar bed. They found that more than half of the mortar had turned to sand. I'm surprised the tile wasn't undulating under foot.

• PRO
    Mint tile Minneapolis
    hace 4 años

deck mud is sand with just a dash of portland.

You might start another new thread to showcase your findings , youll get more input with a new thread.

Cant wait to see the entire thing removed to the studs and hear your new plan :) on your new thread

• gerries
    hace 4 años

This is what it looked like before the technician reworked the decking and drain to accept the Schluter system.

• PRO
    Star Tile & Stone, LLC
    hace 4 años

We have done an extensive research and reasonable testing on the subject of marble moisture discoloration in showers and have written numerous articles about our findings.

In a nutshell, you can learn about the cause and prevention of this problem in my article : "Porosity of Building Materials and Marble Moisture Discoloration" at https://tilepro-usa.com/tile-pro-blog/f/porosity-of-building-materials-and-marble-moisture-discoloration
    More information about our research and experiment can be found at https://tilepro-usa.com/tile-pro-blog?blog=y&blogcategory=Marble+Moisture+Discoloration

Respectfully,
    Pavlo Starykov, CTEF Certified Tile Installer

• PRO
    Star Tile & Stone, LLC
    hace 4 años

We have done an extensive research and reasonable testing on the subject of marble moisture discoloration in showers and have written numerous articles about our findings.

In a nutshell, you can learn about the cause and prevention of this problem in my article : "Porosity of Building Materials and Marble Moisture Discoloration" at https://tilepro-usa.com/tile-pro-blog/f/porosity-of-building-materials-and-marble-moisture-discoloration
    More information about our research and experiment can be found at https://tilepro-usa.com/tile-pro-blog?blog=y&blogcategory=Marble+Moisture+Discoloration

Respectfully,
    Pavlo Starykov, CTEF Certified Tile Installer

• PRO
    Star Tile & Stone, LLC
    hace 3 años

Hello,

Bellow is the link to my recent article that summarizes the research we have done on the subject of marble moisture discoloration in shower floors:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5956434/marble-moisture-discoloration-don-t-blame-the-stone

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    hace 3 años

@Star Tile - Great Link. Thanks

• PRO
    Star Tile & Stone, LLC
    hace 3 años

For those who are interested, see bellow the link to my article on how to properly install marble shower pans with the traditional water-in, water-out method including the limitations it has for resin-backed stone, impregnating sealers and why.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5956524/carrara-marble-and-water-in-water-out-shower-pan-method

• goldmanjen
    hace 3 años

My shower floor was installed 2 months ago and started discoloring in two areas. There was a mesh back on the tile and my installer is saying it was installed with properly and not sealed. What do you suggest now that it’s installEd? rip is out?

• PRO
    Beyond Clean Tile
    hace 3 años

goldmanjen: Read the links Palvo with Star Tile & Stone posted above. His research is very extensive and helpful. Then if you still need feedback, I would suggest starting your own post thread with pictures. You will get a much better response. I waded though a long list of postings before I saw your post here. Best of luck!

• kellysboyle1
    hace 2 años

I have the same issue- dark tiles on floor and the first two rows on the bottom- my installer is saying it’s the tile. Clearly this is saying it’s not but I need help telling my builder exactly what I need expect….please help!!

• Jim Walthall
    hace 2 años

kellysboyle1, there is a tremendous amount of detail in this thread that will help you communicate with your builder. Find access to a moisture meter to provide more information to discuss with him but typically stone color will darken when wet.

• kellysboyle1
    hace 2 años

Thanks Jim. I will find a moisture meter. Have you see tiles on the side walls darker too? Would that also be slope of pan and it just builds up? Weird that it stops exactly at the tile edge

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

Water in non presloped liner pooling and wicking up cement board. Consistent line probably the height of the pan liner. Won't know for sure until demo.

• goldmanjen
    hace 2 años

How would you demo this without completely destroying the Schluter system that was put in?

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    hace 2 años

Responding to kellysboyle1. I see nothing about Schluter system. Perhaps a clarification is needed.

• goldmanjen
    hace 2 años

I commented above that the floor of my shower is doing the same thing. when I asked my contractor he said faulty tile and it can’t really be removed without damaging the Schluter

• kellysboyle1
    hace 2 años

Responding to @Creative Tile Guy… I didn’t mention the Schluter System , goldmanjen did. Your comments helps a ton by the way.

• Usuario de Houzz-997197199
    hace 2 años

I have the same problem. What about installing a new shower floor with a non porous tile on top of the existing floor? Then raise the drain. It would be less work then ripping the floor out.

• goldmanjen
    hace 2 años

@Usuario de Houzz-997197199 I was thinking about that and my contractor's tile guy suggested that too but wasn't sure it was a real option.

• Usuario de Houzz-997197199
    hace 2 años

I'm waiting for a tile guy to come out. Anyone know if that's a feasible option?

• millworkman
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

"with a non porous tile on top of the existing floor"

What do you do about the grout as grout is not waterproof? This is not a good idea in my thinking as you will trap moisture and end up with a moldy mess.

• Usuario de Houzz-663534449
    hace 2 años

Has anyone attempted to darken their hex marble floor so that the color is consistent? Are there any color enhancers on the market that might provide uniformity in the color of the shower floor. Would prefer my floor be darker everywhere as compared to the blotchiness around the drain i have now. would love to hear some oppinions.

• Lania Kelly
    el último año

I’m experiencing the same darkening, the tile installer said it is normal since marble is porous. I’m not aware of a product to darken it.I did seal my tile with impregnating sealer and it’s still discoloring around the drain. I wish I knew this was an issue before I had marble installed ,,,I would have gone with porcelain or ceramic instead.. Does anyone have light colored marble on the shower floor that doesn’t stain.

• charlesg270
    hace 5 meses

Does this issue only occur with hex or other tiles that are installed on mesh? What alternatives are there for shower floors? I just put a hex floor in a new shower and I am sick about it after reading this. I have not even had the glass doors installed yet. I purchased the tiles at Floor and Decor, so they weren't the most expensive out there. Thanks everyone.

• millworkman
    hace 5 meses

" Does this issue only occur with hex or other tiles that are installed on mesh? "

Marble floor tile, yes, pretty typical.

" What alternatives are there for shower floors? "

Porcelain or ceramic tile.

• Usuario de Houzz-197091819
    hace 4 meses

Uh oh! We just put in a marble hex floor on our small shower in the powder room. But we used crema marfil, though I'm sure it has the same problems. The door was just installed and we still need to have the room painted and so haven't used the shower yet. It would only get limited use because hubby showers in there on very early golf days once or twice a week so he doesn't wake me up. Very considerate : ) Hopefully with limited use this doesn't happen but I have no idea and am now a bit worried.

Charlesg270, any update? Have you used your shower yet?

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.