Houzz Logo Print
mitchell_parker

How do you deal with flood damage?

Mitchell Parker
hace 6 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

Have you ever experienced flooding or worked on a project after flood damage? Please share your tips (or general encouragement) for the people of Houston and elsewhere in the world who will be returning home to rebuild or in need of finding a new place to call home.

Comentarios (39)

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    hace 6 años

Remove flooring and cut sheetrock 4' off the floor (assuming water level was around 2-3'...cut higher if it water level reached 4' and up) along entire wall perimeter throughout the house and remove insulation, trim, doors, vanities, and everything else that is damaged by water and get as many fans running to dry everything up before restoring. Depending on how much water was sitting in the room and for how long, in some cases, rewiring of all the outlets will be required. The electrician should assess the wiring condition.

Here are few images of the basement I did after Hurricane Sandy hit NJ, everything was removed, dried and restored to original condition.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    hace 6 años

Yes, they don't want you to touch anything so they can estimate the damage. I know people threw out old stuff and tried to claim it was brand new furniture, some threw out a 27" tv and claimed they had a 64" tv, etc. Like Solar Tx said, get someone there as soon as possible.

• Laura A.
    hace 6 años

This isn't hurricane damage, but my daughter's new old condo flooded with raw sewage....twice. And then they had a fire upstairs because the bathroom fan was left on all summer while the unit was empty. And when they got back in, finally last week....it flooded again. This time they were smart enough to get everything upstairs (all brand new) before the horrid water took over the downstairs entirely. My advice is to hang in there. My daughter is 26 years old with her first big job and is engaged to be married (i.e. planning her February wedding). These are real world problems and it's awful, but no one is dead, hopefully, and persistence will get you through it. Find your peace and keep on working, be firm but polite to the insurance adjusters and don't be taken advantage of. You will be stronger at the end of the day and proud of your work, and if you have children they will always remember your grace under intense pressure. Texas forever!

• mzloolue
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

We were flooded during the May Day Flood of 2010. My husband had to go into work, but said he would be home as soon as he could. He could not get back for many hours.

Rain was coming down so fast that it could not run off fast enough and water came in through the walls.

It was like a river was coming from the neighbor's property and flowing right to my house.

I moved things in the house so they would stay dry. I propped up furniture.

I raked leaves and set up some pumps we had. I have never seen rain like that.

My mother was in intensive care and not doing well. They put her on a ventilator that day. It put things in perspective.

Things are just things.

There was so much water I could not leave and no one could get to the house.

My mother would have told me to get to work and save my house, so I did.

The weird thing is that our house is on a hill.

Later that day my kids came. They had to park and wade through waist deep water over bridges to get here. Thank God they were not swept away, A young man I worked with had car trouble and started walking and was swept away and drowned.

Finally my husband was able to get back home. He actually apologized again yesterday for having to go into work.

We had power. I had cranked the air conditioner down as low as it would go. The kids cut up the carpet and hauled it out. We pulled out the base boards and ran fans.

The next day we got a humidifier running. We did not get any mold.

We had some grading done and built a berm, but we still get nervous when it rains hard,

We did not have flood insurance.

FEMA helped some. It was enough to get the sheet rock cut out and replaced. None of our immediate neighbors flooded. The flooded houses were here and there. We got help from FEMA because a subdivision in the same zip code with us was flooded out and we were included.

We repaired what we could, but it remains an ongoing project and we still have three bedrooms with unfinished concrete floors, but those were the kids rooms and they had all moved out. We just keep the doors closed.

I don't know what the people in Texas will do.

The mortgage must still be paid...

• Mary de Jesus
    hace 6 años
    We lived through Andrew in 1992. However our house clothing and cars did not. Our insurance - USAA- gave us money immediately from a little tent they set up in the area. With it we were able to buy food and clothing. We wrote out our lists of everything we owned and quickly realized the max insurance would never cover it all. We were issued the max for the interior and able to rebuild at current Day costs. The insurance adjusters don't want to walk into a house full of mold, there is trust in both sides.
    The adjusters know what the area calls for (ie. don't claim a fur coat if you live in the South). They are good people just like us - don't try to pull the wool over their eyes.
    You will never replace everything.
    We still think of things missing - 25 yrs later!
    You are still alive thank God that you're reading these posts.
    You
  • Karen Rayfield
    hace 6 años

Very, very helpful information, especially as we are staring at Irma. A big thank you to everyone who supplied such great information. :)

• User
    hace 6 años

Those that say you cannot remove ALL affected sheetrock, floors, walls, carpet, appliances, furniture and so on until inspected are wrong. You CAN TAKE PHOTOS of the damage BEFORE you remove including the waterline. If you want, hold up a measuring tape. FEMA and many insurance companies know the importance of getting ruined items and building materials out of the house due to health reasons. Make sure you have applied to FEMA as well as your insurance company. Don't expect any funds you receive to cover it all. FEMA only has 3-4 billion. Pres. Trump's desire to have an additional 7 billion isn't yet approved by Congress. And Irma is going to be disastrous for Florida, Georgia and Carolinas. It will take them a long time to get to everyone. In Fact FEMA is asking Americans to come to the aid of people flooded out to help them rebuild through donations. That says a lot right there.

Direct from FEMA:

Start Cleaning Up Now

• Mold may be a
      serious health risk so don’t wait for a visit from FEMA or your
      insurance company before you start cleaning up. FEMA inspectors and
      insurance claims adjusters will still be able to verify flood damage.

• Because
      mold may be a serious health risk, it’s important to remove
      flood-damaged valuables from your home. Take lots of pictures before
      your insurance adjuster visits.

• Place debris curbside. Debris cannot be collected on private property.
      • Do
        not prop up debris against trees and utility poles or place in the
        vicinity of fire hydrants and utility boxes. That makes it more
        difficult for cleanup crews to collect.
      • Debris should be separated into the following six categories:
        • Household garbage such as discarded food, packaging and papers.
        • Construction debris such as building materials, carpeting, furniture and mattresses.
        • Vegetation debris such as tree branches and leaves.
        • Household hazardous waste such as batteries, paints and cleaning supplies.
        • White goods such as refrigerators, washers/dryers, water heaters and air conditioners.
        • Electro nics such as televisions, stereo equipment and computers.
      • Go online to this link to see a graphic that explains how to sort debris:

www.fema.gov//www.fema.gov/media-library/assets/images/110554

• Alicia Frommeyer
    hace 6 años

We flooded in Katrina and we took photos thankfully before and after. We put nearly all of the furniture out to the street with a huge sign that said waiting on adjuster. Something's were taken but we had photos so we were fine with that. Please know that really good wooden furniture can be refinished. Also artwork can be cleaned and repaired if it is something you loved. I still wish I had kept more and done this but it is overwhelming. Our adjuster was able to look at the photos and tell that we had maxed out so we did not have to fill in all the contents. It is amazing all the little things that add up. Kitchen dish towels, all the pantry items that you don't even think about. I cannot say enough to photograph every open drawe cabinet etc! If you are lucky enough to have not been effected yet by a disaster go ahead now and take before photos of everything!

We tore out the Sheetrock and flooring within a couple of days. Then pressure washed all the mud off the floors. We had to have electrical replaced. We lived in the upstairs for nearly 18 months while we waited on people to do the actual work. I sprayed every stud with Lysol says it kills 99.9% of germs so I used many cans. Be prepared to wait if you cannot do the work yourself. This will be your new normal for awhile but you will come out stronger. Also if you decide to live in it while rebuilding have a room with a deadbolt lock where you keep any valuables. Most people are good but it does bring creepers too so with what little you salvaged you don't want someone helping themselves to it. Also after everything dried up we sprinkled borax powder on all the studs to prevent any bugs and so far 12 years later it has worked. Bless you all on the journey but I promise it gets better although about two weeks into it reality sits in and you will probably feel depressed but that is normal too!

• Irena Crone
    hace 6 años

Having gone through a flood and being rescued out of my second floor window, I can relate to the trauma of flood victims. All of the advice above my post is right on. This process cannot be hurried. There are unscrupulous "remodelers" out and about.. Do NOT do anything without specifications of what you expect and do no work until you have it in writing. A contract. Cooperate with the local authorities when it comes to your health, but be prepared for lots of red tape from them when it comes to permits. If you have family members having emotional outbursts, take advantage of the counseling that usually is offered. I had never understood about fast rising water rushing in and being trapped until 1994 when a dam released its water on us. I had nightmares for years, but they are gone now.

• Lynn G
    hace 6 años

After Sandy hit NJ they increased what was considered the "flood level" where insurance was required for houses, Based on this houses needed to be raised above that new flood level in order to even get insurance. Before taking on too much in the way of renovating damage, find out if they are going to be making such changes, and, what is the difference in flood insurance prices if raised or not raised (may or may not make sense to do it). If you're going to raise the house, I think it would make more sense to raise the house first, then do the repairs - but ask an expert...

And, do some research on nicely done house raising. The houses that were first raised just jacked them up in the air 6 feet looking rather ridiculous. They then created more attractive approaches to the raised houses.

• lamaisonbleu
    hace 6 años

I had a flood 10 yrs ago. Have a 1920 2 story/4 bedroom home. Let insurance do all they will first, to dry everything out. They packed up/dried out my entire first floor. Quickly! I have lath & plaster walls. The flood only went in the basement and maybe 6 inches on the first floor. Yes, the hardwood floors needed refinishing. But the walls were fine, as the floor board is high in an older home. It was hard. I am a Senior & Single. I hadn't planned to redo my kitchen. I didn't want to. Take one step at a time. Know you will be disrupted for awhile. I stayed in a hotel in the beginning. I felt pressured and hired the only contractor I contacted. BIG Mistake! Don't rush. Take your time. Get advise from neighbors/friends. Get several bids. Then slowly rebuild. No. You won't get back your photos, etc. I live w/that and treasure the few which survived. Enjoy each moment of life. We never know what will happen. Best to all you flood victims!

• Mary Wiggenhorn
    hace 6 años

You must mediate your damages, per the insurance companies. Take pictures but get the wet sheetrock and insulation out FAST. Also, be aware that many adjusters only work major disasters. If you don't like your first estimate, you can request another adjuster. My daughter went through this after Katrina when the first adjuster didn't know what an asbestos roof was. She not only needed a new lifetime roof but also had to have new decking. Second adjuster understood.

• gtcircus
    hace 6 años
    Photograph EVERYTHING as it goes into the dumpster. Open it to show any mold growth. Some case goods can be salvaged, but they have to be really nice and expensive pieces to be worth while. Anything electrical that has been in contact with water gets pitched - otherwise you risk burning your house down. One thing I found out (yes I went through a flood of a plumbing kind), it is all the little stuff that adds up. Everything gets MOLD within hours. Photograph receipts and then pitch the paper. Lastly, once the home is restored, take a photo or video of the space in pristine condition and then upload it to the cloud or better yet provide it to your insurance agent.
  • gtcircus
    hace 6 años
    To the poster that said leave everything in place, my insurance carrier CHUBB wanted photos of the flood, but wanted me to remediate immediately to prevent further damage. I took photos of everything and attempted to salvage what I could. One thing I kept reminding myself of, it was just STUFF, yes you cry, yes it is stressful but if you were lucky enough to have your family survive intact the event, then everything else is replaceable. The other thing I found out, the flood was liberating. I realized I didn't need all that STUFF in my life and I replaced only what I needed and used. A pared down and more stress free life post flood.
  • interestedindesign
    hace 6 años
    How appropriate. Returned home after Irma to find rug saturated. I filed claim w/insurance but have been spraying it with Lysol (obviously not the right thing to do) and have a fan running in there. I don't know who to call to pull up rug and cannot do it myself. Adjuster coming next week.

And yes, I, too, am rethinking the junk I've collected throughout the years.

Thankful house remained intact. Thankful I'm alive. Thankful I was able to go to higher ground.

Question: how does one know if wicking has occurred up wall from rug? Is there a tool inspectors use or does that wall need to be cut out?
  • ghostlyvision
    hace 6 años

We're in flooded Houston as well (currently in a motel) and in the middle of flood-reno, the storm didn't get us but the release from Addick's reservoir filled our home with about 5 or 6 inches of flood water. Spoke with the insurance adjuster twice as well as Fema and was told by both to get the wet/destroyed stuff out as soon as they stopped flooding us and to take as many pictures as possible before repairs began.

Interestedindesign, chances are very good that if your carpet was saturated, water went under your baseboards and into the drywall, you really need to seek some help in removing the carpet/padding/baseboards to assess/cut out the drywall damage, do mold remediation and let everything completely dry out - and yes, take pics of everything. I took my camera to Walgreens and made prints as well as discs, hopefully that'll be enough for Fema whenever they get around to sending an inspector out.

• Karen S.G
    hace 6 años
    having gone thru Allison in 2001....63" of water inside now Harvey 46" of water inside may I offer some words of experience?

1) take many many pics when you can get in your place, all the furniture that floated, stuff on shelves thrown around, open any and all cabinets and drawers, take pics. try to do by room, for ease to organize to email to adjuster when you submit contents list.

2) get all the wet stuff out of the house. again, if you can organize it by room outside, ease of picture sending abounds.

3) take the drywall and insulation out 12" above water line.

4) take out window casements, baseboards, cabinets, the L shaped corner things sheet rock attaches to.

5) take out all nails, smelly sheet rock pieces are hanging on to them.

6) take a whisk broom and sweep between studs the thousands of sheet rock pebbles. don't forget the Junction boxes on the tops.

7) a couple days later.....whisk broom again between studs.

the nonsense that you have to leave e erything inside for the adjuster is nonsense. you have to get the wet stinky stuff out.

turn air to lowest setting, or open windows during day. after Harvey we were blessed with coolish, low humidity, breezy days,

be cautious of the humidifier people. they want to immediately put humidifiers in before all the baseboards, window casements and sills etc out. why dry something out that has to be removed anyways?

during all this gutting run fans, lots of them, pointed to walls. if after the complete gut you feel you need pay for humidifier people then go for it.

my only smelly part left is 2 stairsteps, then landing, then 4 steps going upstairs. carpet has been removed off them but they need come out, but we can't do that yet as bedrooms upstairs and we are going up and down seems like dozens and dozens of times a day.

ok so this is the quick answer for 1st steps, I gotta go I have a plane to catch for Florida. my mom only got carpet wet but all in her apt is moved a d unorganized and at 88 she can't handle it, going to help.

I can lay out next steps on rebuild in another posting.

hope this helps, sorry for any typos and no capital letters, etc.

any questions ask away I will answer as I can but have had not much time to peruse Houzz lately which is a bummer.
  • Karen S.G
    hace 6 años
    oh and spray studs and outer walls in between with strong clorox water several times a day for many days, after doing the whisk broom cleaning.
  • lisaosborn
    hace 6 años

we had a basement flood and once we were done removing sheetrock, flooring etc, we used outside white faccia boards instead of wooden baseboards. This way if even a little water comes in, its hitting waterproof board not wood . It also looks fantastic!

• User
    hace 6 años

@lisaosborn I know another person who is also doing what you did - to use plastic PVC boards instead of wood. There is still work to clean those up from flood waters, but it's a lot less expensive than throwing the wood away each time. One still has to remove them and clean/spray the PVC as well as the studs, etc.

• PRO
    ByJess
    hace 6 años

FEMA does not want you to leave wet sheetrock , wood floors or anything in your home!! Just went through the Great Flood a year ago. We photo'd the water line in and out of the house . Also photo'd everything in the house that got ruined. They never asked to see a single photo, they never asked what brand or how old anything was. If you got anywhere around 18 inches or more it is pretty obvious and stays that way for quite a while. For resale sake , it is good to find a reputable local company to spray your dry home(which they will check and document for you) with the correct chemical to prevent mold. Get fans or dehumidifiers on the studs as soon as possible and let them run constantly for a quite some time. We did keep some of the flooring in each room and a sample of the sheetrock ,but those items were never asked for. Again this is someone with no insurance , FEMA only. Also, if you are looking to save money try installing your own insulation after removing old and drying the walls/studs. It is very simple to install. One more tip is to make sure you are pulling all the nails, there are a lot of them but it will be much quicker to re-install sheetrock with them already gone.

• ensocar
    hace 6 años

For those who haven't yet been impacted, take pictures now! Planning for the disaster makes things easier when it strikes. And get flood insurance - it doesn't matter if you live in a floodplain or not, flooding happens for a lot of reasons. Everyone needs flood insurance, those who live in certain areas just need it more. I lived through a flash flood in the middle of the mountains in Colorado - everyone can flood! If everyone had flood insurance, it would become cheaper and better able to help when needed.

• User
    hace 6 años

Be smart about flood insurance. #1: it's a Federal government regulated insurance policy. #2 There are two policies, not one. One covers the building - your house up to $250K. The other covers personal stuff - up to $100K. That's it. #3. If you want more then there is private excess flood insurance which is pretty pricey and you are required to have both federal policies. And many things are covered like cash, art, jewelry, and other expensive stuff. #4. As to federal policies, claims are always based on actual cash value at time of claim, not what you paid for them or what you have to pay to replace the item. #5 They also don't cover any basement damage or items in a basement - even if it's a walk-out basement. #6 There is also a limit as to how often and how much you can claim & collect on flood insurance.

And the list goes on, so read the fine print carefully and understand it thoroughly.

Insurance is basically a gamble. A company is betting that you won't file a claim and you still pay them so much monthly or annually.

You can also be your own insurance company if you so desire. Put aside and invest conservatively so much per week, per month, per year. You can cover what you want - your house and belongings or perhaps your health. You can also use it as an additional "personal" policy. You are betting basically that you won't need that little nest egg very much. Most people can't do this, but it's a very wise financial move anyone can do.

• Sharon
    hace 6 años

This was a great question and I appreciate everyone's practical tips. Thankfully I have not had this type of home damage to deal with. I can only imagine how horrendous it must be to go through it. My heart and prayers go to all who are suffering home and community damage. Just this week, some of our friends worked out a truckload to take to the Keys. We'd been wanting to help out in a material way but we didn't really trust some of the big organizations any more. These were regular people who went in together and they collected a transfer trailer truckload of stuff. Everything from diapers to bottles of bleach, cleaners, gloves, handwipes, tools, tape, trash bags, etc. Americans are a giving people and we have much to be proud of in our responses to tragedies and disasters. We want to give, we want to help out, we want to support our fellow Americans. America is beautiful!!! With all the crap in our news, we forget how great a country this is.

• lcjinroslynpa
    hace 6 años

We had a 500 year flood here in Roslyn - 10 inches of rain in 2 and a half hours. Our basement was up to my ribcage in water by the time we woke up from a nap. (We lost a couple in our neighborhood when he had a heart attack in the basement and she wouldn't leave him.)

My husband asked, "What comes out first?" and I said, "Christmas!" so we had drippy ornaments (some had come from Germany with my Grandmother's parents), décor, etc all over the house. We even had all our ruined items - stacked in crates at the curb - on the local tv news that night. So, I speak as one who knows firsthand, if not one who has been devastated.

Some lessons learned:

1. Precious books can be freeze-dried in your self-defrosting freezer. Do it immediately so mold does not take hold. If you have access to a walk-in, that's wonderful! It takes a few weeks - every so often you GENTLY separate any pages you can, not forcing anything - and they may come out wavy, but if it has great sentimental or monetary value, it can be worth it. Board books - like my 1940's Golden Books - are beyond salvage if wet, just toss them.

2. Never store craft stuff below grade - or the lawn mower either. I had done tie-die with the kids at church, and the mix of RIT dye, gasoline and oil from the mower tank, and the other crud in the water made a brown stain on cinderblock that just would not come off. Had to buy GALLONS of Kilz to cover it.

3. Rubbermaid tubs float in a flood - until they tip over, at which point they are not waterproof. See above re: Christmas items stored in them.

All the advise above is GREAT - additionally -- check for where you can get a flood bucket. VOADs (Volunteer Organizations Active in Disaster - church groups, ARC, etc) often distribute these and the stuff in them - mops, disinfectant, rubber gloves, rope and clothespins, bug spray, bleach, etc - can run out in stores quickly. Register with VOAD as well as with FEMA - they may be able to get volunteers in to help you at no cost or just the cost of materials.

Good luck to all of you - we are praying for you and donating to UMCOR so we can help more directly.

• springmom
    hace 6 años

We had our downstairs flooded by Harvey, only 6". Insurance said get all of it outside and at the curb but take photos as well. The water was what is called category 3 flood water. Very contaminated with sewage and dangerous chemicals. I wasn't allowed to keep anything but the toilet. All furniture and wood flooring and cabinets had to be thrown out, some of which was solid wood and only got wet on the legs and then for only 24 hrs. I have my doubts about whether that was necessary but our health is the most important, right? We had a pro recon crew clear out and dry out. They did NOT use bleach. At all. They got things out fast and then dry. They ran a combo of 26 fans and dehumidifiers for three days and nights nonstop once the house was cleared out (which means lower 4' of wall, all door frames and inner doors, all non tile flooring, etc.). No mold. Then they sprayed with full strength anti mold spray every porous surface numerous times over maybe 5 days, maybe longer. No mold anywhere. Then we waiting weeks before doing anything. No putting in walls, moisture can continue to come out of the studs etc. for quite some time. We are still without walls but in the end, it will be worth it. We have no odor, no mold and I won't worry about the possibility of mold growing in the walls. Houston is hot and humid, mold loves it here. Hanging in there and trying to be patient but what I wouldn't give for a sink downstairs about now!! And a fridge, and a stove or oven....

• User
    hace 6 años

@springmom: Glad you had a good pro recon crew. Bleach (chlorine) isn't recommended as a defense against mold or mildew as it is only effective on hard, non-porous surfaces (and wood is is porous) and is considered hazardous by OSHA. It's ok to kill mold on glass, tiles, bathtubs, etc. Even so, EPA doesn't recommend bleach for killing and removing any mold. It also loses it's effectiveness over time and is corrosive. Then there is the concern over dioxins which bleach can leave. Dioxins are highly toxic and are known carcinogens. There are studies that show bleach can't form dioxins in normal household cleaning since materials needed are normally present when cleaning. Bleach also won't kill mold on dirty or metallic materials, either.

Best is oxygen bleach (not chlorine) or vinegar. Oxygen bleach is sodium percarbonate and is cheap at the supermarket.

And you can also use borax, baking soda, tea tree oil, citric extract and other things.

• Octavia Lewis
    hace 6 años
    USE VINEGAR FOR CLEANING MOLD, MILDEW. ETC.
  • Raymond Dobbin
    hace 6 años

the comments so far seem to address the issues well...we live on a canyon and flooding was the least of our anticipated problems -- earthquake, wildfire being much more likely -- but we have a 'junction box' in the sewer line just downhill from us and an uphill blockage suddenly freed itself and we had an explosive release of 'black water' into our house...the backup through the toilets hit the ceiling and left four inches of raw sewage throughout the house...after removing the black water we removed the drywall [6-inches above the water line], insulation, etc., as recommended, chloroxed everything and replaced the carpet with tile -- we had the benefit of an otherwise dry environment...our hearts go out to people who were flooded and were therefore trying to dry their households surrounded by wetness

• User
    hace 6 años

@Octavia Lewis: Yes, distilled white vinegar full strength can kill 82% of mold species, but not all. Baking soda or borax or hydrogen peroxide used along with distilled white vinegar kills additional species of mold. To kill mold with vinegar - spray heavily on moldy surface and let it sit for an hour. If scrubbing is necessary make a paste. Allow time for mold to absorb. The vinegar smell does dissipate in a few hours. You can rinse if you prefer. Do wear protective gear so mold does not get on your skin. However, with use of vinegar be careful of where you use it. It is an acid and you sure don't want metals or chrome or tile or stone such as granite or marble to become etched. It is a safe non-toxic method that has been used for many, many years.

• PRO
    Air-ReNu, Inc.
    hace 6 años

Ionic Paint Additive, converts any newly painted wall surface, into a perpetual air, purification system no electricity or filters required. The additive permanently maintains healthy indoor air quality and removes offensive smoking odors, cat urine odors and toxins and prevents mold.

• Danielle Simpson
    hace 6 años

springmom, I can relate! The waterline in our home was 65" though. We could not get to the house for a week and the electrical is damaged, so no fans to dry it out. We had plenty of volunteers helping to pull out the drywall- all the way up to the ceiling (we will be removing the ceiling too, but the house was built in 1972 and has asbestos in the ceiling, so nobody wants to touch it, understandably). I wish it was like some have said here where they did not have to actually inventory everything - of course we owned much more than what we will be getting from the insurance to replace the contents, but we have to inventory it all. Dealing with the loss of absolutely EVERYTHING (including both vehicles) has been difficult enough without having to meticulously record every item, when it was purchased, how much it will cost to replace, etc. Every day I am reminded of what has been lost. Yes, it's stuff, not lives, fortunately, but some of that stuff can NOT be replaced (many handmade and passed down items- not to mention photos). Living in a hotel is certainly better than what those in Puerto Rico are having to deal with, but it's no vacation being cramped in a little place spending every day documenting our belongings and slowly dealing with FEMA and insurance companies.God bless all the volunteers helping with labor, food, laundry, etc.

• PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    hace 6 años

The key is to move fast: you have to remove furniture, strip floors and lower part of walls AS SOON AS the water is gone, within 24 hours so no mold will grow. And then put fans and dry the space for a week or two, checking the humidity level every day.

• User
    hace 6 años

There is absolutely no set rule about 24 hours. It's as soon as possible. The biggest concern with flooding is contaminated water that was brought into the house according to the EPA. To focus solely on mold is not the best. Many things due to contamination must be handled by professionals. The homeowner and volunteers can remove the obvious - all porous items - drywall, fabrics, porous materials such as stacked stone fireplaces and built ins. Tile will be contaminated due to the sewer lines and overflowing onto the floor. Most tile can be saved - that which is contaminated cannot. Hardwood floors must be removed by professionals. Most kitchenware can be saved like dishes, glasses, pots, pans, etc. Wash them in hot soapy water. Anything metal or glass or non-porous can be saved. Cast iron cannot be saved - trash time.

It takes a lot longer than 24 hours. Just because it's day two or three doesn't mean the house that flooded cannot be cleaned out. Not every person who was flooded was able to get that done within 24 hours. In the ideal world, yes, but this isn't the ideal world.

Companies who specialize in clean outs have been booked for months after Harvey with customers who need help in decontamination and drying out their homes.

• PRO
    Jane Owen Interior Design
    hace 6 años

Hello, I live in an area called the Golden Triangle which encompasses Port Neches, Nederland and Groves, TX. We are approximately 2 hours east of Houston. Many residents here were affected by flooding, many in the Groves area had to be rescued by boats; an area called Lakes of Nederland where nearly every home flooded has devastated our community. Definitely FEMA and the insurance companies are inundated with claims but once the homeowners get the sheet rock out, starts the drying and bleaching process what remains as an even greater problem, is the fact that there are not nearly enough tradespeople to help those affected get back into their homes. The experienced construction guys who hang sheet rock, mudd and tape are in critical short supply. The additional extremely critical areas are experienced people who can lay floor and tile, painters and electricians. In a normal situation, our skilled contractors have adequate people to renovate, remodel and get a home livable. Right now, those who had cash to start their rebuilds were first served. So many are waiting on funds that even if they had contacted a contractor early on, they have been moved down the line while waiting on their funds which is understandable. To further complicate the situation, the mortgagees are holding both the insurance and FEMA checks for 10 days prior to releasing partial funds to the homeowner. That check that the homeowner gets mst be signed over to the mortgagee who doles out the money based on estimates for the work to be done. Receipts must be turned in and if deemed acceptable, the mortgagees will release more money. One of my clients has a contractor who is partially doing some work, a floor person, a tile person and painters but they cannot get their money to pay multiple tradespeople therefore, the contractor is the only person who can have the majority of the funds. Some of these stipulations so complicate the entire process of 'getting back to normal'. I currently have been working on seven homes, two are complete and five are in various stages of rebuild. I am working longer hours than ever and am pushing myself so I can help as many as possible and still maintain a level of excellent service. It is tough but I was fortunate to escape the flooding with very little impact and feel compelled to do anything I can to help. We just need more tradespeople here to help make it happen. Maybe we designers need to learn to hang sheet rock and lay floors. Thankfully we have just learned that an outside company has rented a huge building and are here to do nothing but build kitchen and bathroom cabinets. I want to go meet them and thank them for helping us. And while I know they will make quite a lot of money in our area, they are charging reasonable prices. That's exactly how it is supposed to be. Texans are tough, we survive... And onward we go....

• User
    hace 6 años

@Jane Owen: Yes, your clients aren't the only ones - it's that way from Conroe & Kingwood southward of Houston, east to Beaumont, west through Katy and southeast through Victoria and Rockport - Port Aransas. Join the club. It helps that every one chips in, not just sheet rock hangers. It's not all that difficult, just tedious.

One of my friends who lives in The Golden Triangle (Beaumont - Orange - Port Arthur) in Devers lost their roof and flooded out first floor. They are still waiting on the third application with FEMA. Meanwhile their insurance company (and yes, they were one of the smart ones with flood insurance) got paid. However, here it is 3 plus months later and they are finally getting their roof redone. Her hubby also got some day workers (they are also scarce) to help out, some church members and a group of volunteers from out of state who were vetted out through one of the 501 c 3 organizations.

One thing for sure, I know know how to strip a house, pull a zillion nails and screws, paint lumber and concrete foundations with non-toxic mold & mildew killer and protector, hang sheet rock (I gave it another name - sh....t rock LOL), and learned how to put up a short (pony) wall. All of which is very tiring and tedious work. But it's amazing with some tunes going, a bunch of peeps helping out, people bringing sandwiches, chips, water - it's like a party - almost.

As for my friends in Devers, it's looking like they'll be able to move back into their house before Christmas even though there will still be more work ahead! Texans do manage to get things done sooner or later.

• PRO
    Jane Owen Interior Design
    hace 6 años

Celestina, with that kind of experience, people will be putting you to work Hang in there and stay Texas Strong.

• siamlily
    hace 6 años

Our house in south Louisiana flooded in August 2016. Your first instinct is to throw out everything that was in the flood waters but DON'T DO THAT. Lots of belongings can be salvaged and later on you will regret throwing them out. Clean and dry out items as soon as possible and make those decisions later when you are less stressed. So many people (including myself) deeply regret all that went out to the street. It is exhausting to have to evaluate so many items but it is worth it later on. Also I read all the rules about FEMA posted above but when FEMA came all they looked at for proof of flooding was the floodline on the outside of the house. They weren't interested in our photos of lost possessions, FEMA doesn't pay for those anyway. We had already gutted our house and it didn't matter, it would have been hazardous to wait for FEMA first as mold grows quickly. That being said, do take tons of photos at all stages so you can keep track of what you have lost and the changes you are making on your home as you rebuild.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.