Houzz Logo Print
ebc89

What to do with 1920's/30's fireplaces?

Ellis
hace 6 años
I have just bought a property built in the late 1920's and can't decide what to do with the fireplaces in two of the bedrooms? I'm not a huge fan on the style of them but didn't know whether painting them both black would help? Would love to know your thoughts...

Many thanks in advance guys.

Comentarios (12)

• chief_brody
    hace 6 años
    Some of ours were stripped and finished with stove polish and some were painted black. Both work well but as yours are a simple design and look in good condition you may get away with just painting.
  • Daisy England
    hace 6 años
    That'd be a sledgehammer for me. They take up space and are not needed. Take it out.
  • Ellis
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thanks. I will try painting them black.. Will keep you updated when it's done
  • chief_brody
    hace 6 años
    Ellis, if you are going to keep and paint then don't use black but a deep grey colour. I used one from F&B but can't remember the exact one. Here are some pics of one I painted and some that ended up being stripped. Its a big house so some on the top floor were not as ornate. We are still working on the house so will finish them later. Good luck!
  • Sonia
    hace 6 años
    I really like them. In our mum's house she had 1911 metal fireplaces in all the bedrooms. They were painted white and she really liked them, but something wasn't right. We decided to paint them black and they looked so much better. Worth a try!
  • Jonathan
    hace 6 años
    I wouldn't sledgehammer them as I think that they have a salvage value but I see why people want rid as they take up valuable wall space in bedrooms.
    If you don't need the wallspace and are going to keep them consider if black is the best choice- I bet it is not. If you have a bedroom with wrought iron furniture or lots of black then paint the fireplace black. But if everything else is pale and pretty perhaps a lighter colour will be better- I say choose something that is a little darker than the wall colour.
  • PRO
    Nicky Percival Limited
    hace 6 años

Cute - keep them - not taking up much space and add texture to the room - paint any colour you like or strip to the pewter underneath.

• Nick Rice
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

It's a shame some people come out with mindless comments such as 'sledge hammer' them, there is value in everything and what one person doesn't want someone else might (consider selling on gumtree or ebay or even offer them free for someone to take away?)

Agree fireplaces in bedrooms do take up valuable wall space but also add character to a room and in older properties adds value too.

We are in the process of putting a tiled one back into our bedroom (1930s semi), keeping it clean cut with minimal furniture.

• J C
    hace 6 años
    I think they're pretty and will look lovely painted and as already mentioned as they are small, if you're not desperate for the space, if you keep them they will an an interesting element to your room. Please please don't sledgehammer them..... these are irreplaceable (even if not everyone's taste) and something that many people would be delighted to find in their new home, and to pay for if they do not!
  • Emmanuelle
    hace 6 años
    Keep them. They look nice and create a lovely focus point in any rooms. Put photos on the shelf , mirror on the wall above, few logs inside, a plant... Painting them dark grey as mentioned above, would give them a more contemporary twist.
  • PRO
    User
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Shame on the sledgehammer gang! - Period features add value- Spray paint them in Pewter and give them a nicer hearth. It's a little easier on the eye than black, so better for a bedroom - I know this is a larger one, but you get the idea.

Plastikote do a pewter metallic spray - as do Valspar Valspar metallic paint at B&Q

Here's the wife on site after she finished installing this one, building the hearth and testing it out. - She won't need so many clothes now bless her - Good girl!

Behind every good man, there's an even better good woman - x

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.