Houzz Logo Print
nml5129

Need help giving more excitement to my Modern Cedar Home!

nml5129
hace 6 años

I am looking for advice on spicing up the living room and dining room area and working with the existing furniture. The home is 1200 sq ft, modern cedar home with a 20 ft exposed beam vaulted great room. I attached some photos. Any advice would be great, thanks!

Comentarios (26)

• gtcircus
    hace 6 años
    First is that popcorn on the ceiling? If so its got to go. Also I'd take the color up through the vault on the ceiling - its too distracting with the glaring white and the beams. Next what is your budget for this?
  • happyleg
    hace 6 años

Art at door wall next to window. The ceiling could have asbestos & I would get someone qualify to remove it. Keep cedar & put up pine planks.

• dyliane
    hace 6 años

the ceiling is awful

• hatetoshop
    hace 6 años

Art. Lots of art.

• Shani
    hace 6 años
    Color on the ceiling and stain/paint the beams to contrast. Dark ebony color.
  • Diane
    hace 6 años
    The stair rails appear to be very traditional and distracting in your modern home. Removing the popcorn ceiling and paint have also been suggested. If you are wanting decorative ideas a bolder rug and some artwork.
  • acm
    hace 6 años

Is this your furniture or the listing pics? Because I think you need more of almost everything...

• inabunker
    hace 6 años

You need to warm it up. I'm going with please remove popcorn ceiling :)!

• nml5129
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks for all the suggestions. The ceilings are not popcorn but plaster to clarify!

• groveraxle
    hace 6 años

That ceiling looks like a knock-down texture. Hard to do anything about those. Best bet is to paint them the same color as the walls.

These do look like realtor's photos. Are you staging the place for sale or looking to make it more inviting for yourself?

• nml5129
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

looking to keep the home. The pictures were done myself. I am a realtor. Thanks!

• gtcircus
    hace 6 años
    I had ceiling swirls, a good plaster can knock that ceiling down without a lot of effort. Other option is to paint it the same color as the walls and yes it will cut down on the texture, but not completely. I am also not liking the lining up of the beams with the stair case - are these support beams?
  • gtcircus
    hace 6 años
    Also change out the spindles to straight wood or iron - if wood stain to match existing wood.
  • PRO
    Design Directives, LLC
    hace 6 años

Try adding some artwork around, a rug in the kitchen, and add some curtains in the dining room.

Contemporary Scottsdale Home · Más información

Modern Napa · Más información

Contemporary Scottsdale Home · Más información

• katinparadise
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

I would use your orange chair as the inspiration for accents. Add a couple of kilim pillows to the sofa with some orange in them, find a chunky knit throw to put in the corner of the sofa. Find a fantastic piece of art to add on the wall in the dining area and if you wanted to, you could recover the seats of the dining stools in a printed fabric as well. I'd also look for a piece of art to add between the door and window over the sofa. Find a cool wood or metal sculpture to add over your entry table with a pair of chunky candlesticks on one end. I'd also look for a painted bowl to add some color to the tray on the ottoman. Your view is fantastic! Hope this helps!

• Carol Singletary
    hace 6 años
    This is a great space, and you've received wonderful advice. All I want to add is that you might look at replacing the area rug in the living room. The current pattern is fighting with the very busy floor pattern. Maybe an over dyed rug with oranges to connect with the chair?
  • schnable1
    hace 6 años
    bring in other furniture to tie together the black sofa ans caramel recliner, perhaps a chair with print upholstery
  • PRO
    Blue Stone Photography
    hace 6 años

Palette

I love your home!

For the dining area, this would play well with the orange chair in the living room and introduce some new colors for accessories. It's normally printed vertically, but it works well horizontally as well.

• gtcircus
    hace 6 años
    OP are we ever going to hear from you?
  • suezbell
    hace 6 años

Nice home.

If rafters can be located, you might consider covering the ceiling rather than ripping it out.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/FH16JAU_BOARDS_01-2.jpg

Do consider building a cedar box with casters and lid for your trash can.

Not liking the two different colors in the living area -- above and below stairs -- they need to be the same and, if the kitchen and/or dining area is visible from the living room, absent a vertical feature clearly defining one room from the other, those rooms probably need to be the same as well. Of the four colors, I prefer the dining room color or even the kitchen color.

You might consider making the pony wall along the upstairs hallway beginning at the top of the stairs a point of interest for the room:

You could use wallpaper there with a theme representing you -- whether its sports or a hobby or a preferred vacation location (beach or mountains);

alternately, you could paint it a bold solid color or with a mural or some other design -- or even add metal wall art.

Alternately, you could replace the balcony's pony wall with a railing or, better yet, replace it with a bookcase style cabinet of the same height, perhaps with at least some glass sections facing the living area to display some interesting family treasures there -- even extending it to overhang into the living area to get more depth for the shelves.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/66/c0/86/66c0865f099e03445ee75ac7b40f04ad.jpg

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    hace 6 años

• suezbell
    hace 6 años

You might see if you could find an interesting floor lamp/table combo for the end of the sofa.

• mrykbee
    hace 6 años

Art, plants, interesting side tables, several personal items to make it look like someone lives there, and lamps. Nothing generic. I think the key here is large scale and a few special things rather than adding random "deal of the day" or "stager" clutter. Pick your favorite colors and go from there--it doesn't have to be orange.

What a sweet home. I'd love to have it as a vacation place.

• nml5129
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Sorry for the late response, and thank you for all the great advice! I am surprised I got so many responses and people seem to see the potential in my home. I am currently working with my contractor to come up with a plan as far as re-doing the staircase railing to a more rustic/industrial look as opposed to the current tradition white spindels. Also, I am having my contractor create a buffet/bar area inside the door to the right next to the dining room table with the current granite in the kitchen. Once some of the remodels are finished, I will come back to the interior decorating work. Thank you all for the helpful suggestions! I will post pictures of the updates here if anyone is interested

Thanks again!

• happyleg
    hace 6 años

I'm looking forward to it!!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.