Houzz Logo Print
manuyk_col

Living room modern style, possible?

Home sweet
hace 6 años

I want to give my living room a moder but cozy style. Couch is from my old apartment, do you think I need a bigger one for this room? I love my wall color so I'm not gonna change that. Any piece that could help bring this together? What kind of end table of extra seating would go with this?

Comentarios (69)

• Home sweet
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Any thoughts about this two chair for my living room? Should I go with a love seat and a chair or two chairs?

• Rina
    hace 6 años

Wow, it looks as though you want to go out on a limb with colour. I love the second chair for your look; not at all sure about the first. It's too transitional in style. I think you should stick with two chairs. A love seat might overcrowd the space. But I really do think you should make your rug your first purchase. What if your ideal rug, for instance, turns out to look 'orrible with that chair?

If I were doing it that way around, matching rug to existing chair, I could easily fall for this rug. Its organic look would be a great foil for all the clean geometry you have going on.

https://www.westelm.com/products/serpentine-wool-rug-slate-t1390/

• groveraxle
    hace 6 años

The red chair is really cute. I could see it with this rug:

Modern Rugs & Wool Rugs | west elm · Más información
    Unfortunately, Rina's rug is no longer available.

• Rina
    hace 6 años

Oh, sob. The page I picked up didn't say that. Ah well.

• Home sweet
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Can use another chair on the other side of the room? Sometimes we don't have enough sitting. We're 4 and having just two more friends over make it hard to fit in the couch

• Home sweet
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Love the set up with that rug!!

• groveraxle
    hace 6 años

Home sweet, you can get as many chairs as you can fit, but the key is to measure twice and then measure again. I generally don't recommend armless chairs unless you're seating people you don't really like, but in this case you might find them useful. They don't have much visual weight and you can put them pretty close together. Be sure you take them for a butt test first; they can be uncomfortable.

The red chair also looks small enough that you might be able to get two of them on one side of the room.

You can mock the room up on graph paper and cut out paper templates of furniture to move around and see how it fits. Even better is to use blue painters tape to outline the furniture on the floor to see how the sizes feel in the room and if you can navigate easily.

Home sweet agradeció a groveraxle
  • jansgirl
    hace 6 años

I like every suggestion so far. Lucky you! Yes, you could fit in two chairs.

• Home sweet
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

groveraxle, Thank you so much for the inspiration. I really like your taste and I'm having a lot of ideas. By the way every design of yours has happily aproved by the whole family.

• Home sweet
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Is it possible to have 3 different colors in chair, seat in the living room. We are definitely going with a love seat since we need the extra seating. So love seat and chair...

I'm so ready to buy a least a piece this week.

• groveraxle
    hace 6 años

Home sweet, slow down. Buy in haste, repent at leisure. Yes, it is possible to have three different colors, though if you're counting the couch, that gray is actually a neutral. BUT, big but here, you have to tie them all together carefully or it will look like a garage sale.

I also suggest that two chairs are generally preferable to a loveseat. People usually don't like to sit that close unless they're actual lovers, so they end up being a like single chair that takes up too much space.

• groveraxle
    hace 6 años

Here are a few looks for you with this same rug.

Of these four, I think the first with the yellow and teal is most successful, the last with the red loveseat is least successful.

You can make yourself an inspiration board and copy and paste your current furniture, then add rugs and seating that you're considering to see how they coordinate (or not). I would do this and settle on a color palette before I bought a single thing. Otherwise, you could end up with a piece of expensive furniture and be unable to find a rug or chair that complements.

• jansgirl
    hace 6 años

Yes Home!! Find a rug and decide which way you are going colorwise first. I promise you, if you buy "that loveseat" you'll never find a rug you just love to go with it! Murphy's law.

• Home sweet
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I love the rug from west elm, it's out of my budget so I tried to find something similar that work for me. I follow your advice and made this. I'll print it out and play with colors.

• Home sweet
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

• groveraxle
    hace 6 años

How about this rug?

Safavieh Monaco Abstract Watercolor Pink/ Multi Distressed Rug (8' x 10') - Free · Más información

• Rina
    hace 6 años

.... ?

• akcathy
    hace 6 años
    Love the Basset Grover!!!
  • groveraxle
    hace 6 años

Thanks, akcathy. Laura Villar suggested we play a game called "Where's Grover," so he's been getting around.

• jansgirl
    hace 6 años

And Joss & Main has the same rug grover posted on sale for $178!! Woot!

Mandy Multicolor Area Rug & Reviews | Joss & Main · Más información

• Home sweet
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I like the rug and the price! but I don't think I'll love it. I'd like somo color but something lighter than that one.

• PRO
    89-Paint
    hace 6 años

I think the couch size is good but if you're looking for a more modern look, go with 2 sleek chairs on each side of it. A vibrant warm toned rug should bring the room together as well. Mainly, the accents are what could "modernize" this room. A couple of examples would be like a yellow blanket draped across the couch, some metallic decorations on the book case, and a couple of canvases or pops of color in photos you could hang.

• Lee Ann
    hace 6 años

Home Sweet, I'm in the market for a sofa like that--would you mind sharing where it's from and if you love it?

And also if you don't use Grover's ideas with that teal dotted rug, can I? :)

• Home sweet
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I like this one too.

• Home sweet
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Lee Ann I'll send you the link in a bit

• Rina
    hace 6 años

I feel the guilty need to explain my question mark after Groveraxle's last post. I just didn't think you would be looking for that kind of flamboyant colour, Home Sweet. But if you are, good for you. I've been guilty of popping in and out on brief visits so I have probably lost track. What a fun thread, though.

Love Grover and his sweet, soft floppy ears, of course. Thank you for sharing your pooch, Groveraxle.

• groveraxle
    hace 6 años

OK, Home sweet, I think I have a better idea of where you'd like to go. I'm not enamored of that rug in your last post, however. It's a little muddy, amorphous, unfocused. I think you can do better.

Let me also suggest the 60-30-10 rule for colors which simply says a room is most balanced with 60% of your main color, 30% secondary color, 10% accent. Deviate too much from these percentages and the mind becomes confused.

I'm guessing you'd like a lot of turquoise punched up with a little red. Let me know if that's a wrong assumption. In the meantime, let me see what I can find to tie together that teal loveseat and red chair.

• Home sweet
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Bad news, My lovely teal love seat its gone. there is no more online. So I started again and hope to be lucky to find something that works for me.

• groveraxle
    hace 6 años

Here is where the exact hues of your seating and rug and pillows will be important. If you're a little bit off, your pieces may clash. The loveseat is more green than teal, and the chair more coral than red, so I had to find pieces with those hues. And because I'm working on a monitor, it's entirely possible these colors don't look like this in real life.

Your best bet is to shop locally when you can so you can compare colors and return things easily if they don't work.

Note: 60% neutral, 30% teal, 10% coral. (I'd like to find a rug with just a touch of coral, but this was the best I could do this morning.) All pillows from World Market. Rug here:
    Brush Cream/Blue Polypropylene Wildflower Rug (5'3 x 7'7) - Free Shipping Today · Más información

• groveraxle
    hace 6 años

• Home sweet
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Did I make a mistake and order the wrong size???!!! I took measurements like 10 times and now I'm worried this is not gonna work.

• Home sweet
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

• groveraxle
    hace 6 años

Yup, it's too small. Did you order the wrong size, or did they send the wrong size?

It should be this much wider than the couch and should slip under the front feet at least 1/3 of the way back.

The red chair is adorable, though!

• Home sweet
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I knew it. I'll return this one (5.7 X7.3) and order one size up (6X9). Can't wait for it!.. again, I love the little chair too.

• jansgirl
    hace 6 años

The rug looks great with the chair though! Do you still have your heart set on a loveseat or will you get another chair?

• Home sweet
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Just got my new love seat!! I can't decide to go with a 6x9 carpet or 7x10

Any suggestions?

• Lee Ann
    hace 6 años

Love it! I think a 7x10 would give you more room to move the rug under your sofa. Love the pattern of the rug itself and the colors you have going on.

• groveraxle
    hace 6 años

a 9' long rug will give you an extra foot on each end, 10' will give you and extra 1 1/2'. You might want to measure again. You want the rug centered on the couch, but you don't want it to go all the way to the window wall. You need at least a little floor showing between rug and wall.

• Home sweet
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

This is how long the 7x 10 would be. My couch is almost 7ft long, is 2ft on each side to much?

• Home sweet
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Finally got my rug.

I just need some pillows for the new couch and more decorative pieces to put everything together.

• jansgirl
    hace 6 años

lightened it up a bit.

• Home sweet
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Could you guys help me find the right pillows and art wall for my new place?

• groveraxle
    hace 6 años

Love the rug. That was a good find. Pull it back under the sofa and leave some floor exposed in front of the media cabinet the way I show below.

Here's a rule for pillows: use them to spread the colors from your rug around the room. Aim for contrast, so yellow pillows on the blue loveseat, blue on the red chair. Your yellow pillows are perfect, and you can keep the ones that match your couch. Go to Pier 1, World Market, Home Goods, Ross, etc. and look for pillows in teals and rusty reds. Your yellow pillows have a small pattern, so you could do one pillow with a large pattern (geometric or floral) and the rest plain.

Remove the mirror and get some plain linen curtains close to the color of your walls.

I don't know where you plan to hang art. I don't think there's a place for it in the views of the room we've seen. Is there room for art on the TV wall? If so, we need to see it.

Don't mind the dog. Everyone gets one now.

Home sweet agradeció a groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    hace 6 años

Chairs get lumbar pillows:

Area Inc. Pebbles Aqua X-Small Decorative Pillow 12"x18" · Más información

Feliz Pillow, Teal · Más información
    Sofas and loveseats can have square pillows:
    Handmade Textured Rust Pillow Shams, Art Silk 24"x24" Pillow Sham, Rusty · Más información

Leaf Felt Applique Rustic Faux Suede Fabric 24"x24" Pillow Shams, Spring Leaves · Más información

Kilim Indoor Throw Pillows - Grandin Road · Más información

• Home sweet
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Here is a better picture of the walls. I haven't been able to take the mirror down yet. Coming down soon.

• groveraxle
    hace 6 años

Marc Rothko would be appropriate for an MCM space, and you could make a simple gallery with some Ikea frames and downloadable graphic art from etsy:

(I canned your dead tree in the corner, BTW.)

Here are a couple of graphic artists on etsy that have downloadable prints for $5.

Mix & Match Modern Printable Art by MuseAlpha on Etsy · Más información

SAVE 30% on 3 or more printables Use coupon: by ILovePrintable · Más información

• Home sweet
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Haha, I just realized that actually look like a dead tree. There are actually some Decorative Birch Branches that I don't know where to put, so as many items they just stay in a little corner "for now".

Love the prints! thanks.

• Home sweet
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Ottoman or coffee table? Looking for a piece that we could use to put our drinks. If a Ottoman what color can work for my colorful living room.

• groveraxle
    hace 6 años

Coffee table. Rectangular. Simple and modern. An ottoman will be too much upholstery.

Tvilum Diana Coffee Table | AllModern · Más información

Altra Owen Retro Coffee Table & Reviews | Wayfair · Más información

ClosetMaid Coffee Table & Reviews | Wayfair · Más información

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.