Houzz Logo Print
nicola5165

Garden advice for specific parts of the garden

nicola5165
hace 6 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

Hi there, I have a rather large large garden and we are pretty new to gardening! We have cleared lots of the old shrubbery and started a new lawn but there are two areas of the garden we do not know what to do with, and would love some ideas. Area 1, is at the top of the garden and faces south, with a lovely large willow tree creating shade, so we are not too sure whether to try and grow grass under it or some other suitable planting. There is a path going up through to the greenhouse as you can see is it is slightly divided. Area 2, is along the same side, nearer the house. I think this may have been a rockery at one point as it is quite stoney, this again faces south so was thinking of planting out my olive tree that has become a bit sick of being in a pot. I was thinking putting in low grasses and lavender and herbs below but would like advice as to what might grow here. It is a nice sun trap. Thank you. here is area1

And here is area 2

Comentarios (4)

• rachelmidlands
    hace 6 años
    Hi there, lovely large garden you've got there and I'm envious of your green house, wish I had room in my garden for one. Ok, first let's start under the tree (area 1). I don't think grass will grow there, it invariably dies off and goes back to dirt but there are plenty of plants that will thrive here. Spring flowering bulbs such as daffodils, blue bells, snow drops, grape hyacinth, muscari, will all give a fabulous spring show. Plant these in the autumn, October/November. Ferns will happily grow here or for ground cover you could try bergenia (elephants ears), pulmonaria (lungwort), vinca minor (periwinkle), also primroses are a good all rounder. Forgot to mention polyganatum (solomans seal) which will grow in deep shade.
    Area 2. Since this area gets a lot of sun I think you can plant what ever you like. The olive tree should certainly be happy. Lavender, grasses and herbs sound good. Try rosemary, sage and thyme for lovely scents which can also be used for cooking. Don't plant mint unless it's in a container tho, it spreads like mad.
    As with all new planting I would improve the soil first by loosening with a fork and adding good quality compost, be careful not to disturb the roots too much round the tree.

Just noticed you've got some ivy growing by the fence. If you don't want it to cover all your fence then I would try to remove it with as much roots as possible but if it's anything like mine it will grow back again. A clip once a year should keep it check. However, an ivy wall can also be a good thing, a nice green backdrop and a haven for birds and wildlife.
    Anyway, good luck with your garden and most of all enjoy.
  • nicola5165
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thank you so much Rachel for taking the time to answer this and with such great ideas too. I will take on your planting suggestions and see what happens. I know it is such a lovely space and nice and sunny too so in the long term it will make for a beautiful garden. I may well post again :-) Thank you

• PRO
    Blooming Planters Garden Design
    hace 6 años

Ornamental grasses love sun & give movement so would be suitable for area 2. I suggest you stain the fence black to show off the planting & to make it 'disappear' against the hedge.

• nicola5165
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Lovely idea, thank you. Yes a black fence there would look stunning, the hedge is lovely too so this will create a nice foreground for it.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.