Houzz Logo Print
mikec171

Help Requested! Window Color / Exterior Color Palette

mikec171
hace 6 años

OK, thank you in advance for any ideas and recommendations. This is what the outside of our house looks like currently:

We would like to update the colors from the avacado green but are in paralysis by analysis. As you can see the original windows are green, front door and trim is green, the deep soffits are green, and gutters are brown. We are starting the renovation with new windows. We have narrowed the window colors down to the below two. Canvas (an off-white / cream) and Sandtone (a light brownish / slight gray color - it renders as gray on my laptop monitor but it shows accurate tan/brown/gray on my phone).

Which color do you guys think makes the most sense? What do we do about the horrible panels below the windows? Keep the shutters and wrought iron? Keep them black? Paint those panels the same color as windows and put a trim square in them?

What about gutters and soffit color? My wife and I are terrible and trying to visualize these things. Here's a close up of a window, our brick, and soffit.

Thank you so, so much for your thoughts and ideas. First decision up is window color.

-Mike

Comentarios (27)

• PRO
    PPF.
    hace 6 años

Vinyl windows? I'd choose a darker color like bronze in something other than vinyl.

Any plans for the roof?

• Susan
    hace 6 años
    I like the idea of a darker window like bronze. Any chance you can get larger windows and fill the entire space where current windows plus green panel are? In any case, I'd ditch the wrought iron ornaments.
  • mikec171
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

We are going with the Andersen Renewal windows which aren't wood but aren't vinyl either. They are composite and look nicer than the vinyl ones in our opinion.

We hadn't been considering a darker window color - Andersen does have a dark bronze color. What would you do with the panel/trim/soffit/facia boards with a darker window color? In my mind, that panel gets painted the same color as the window...

Susan, I'm sure we could do that but, at this point, it's cost prohibitive. Good idea though.

You guys are supposed to be narrowing our choices not increasing them!

• mikec171
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Didn't answer roof question: The roof is in good, functioning condition so no plans to replace. Going to look at some type of cleaner to see if I can at least get a uniform color from the shingles. I agree it stands out as unattractive.

• PRO
    PPF.
    hace 6 años

"You guys are supposed to be narrowing our choices not increasing them!"

That's not how it works here :)

We should also be discussing paint color, shutters etc.

• mikec171
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

We do not want to paint the brick. Other than that, everything is fair game. Shutters gone / shutters painted, panels painted, soffits / trim, etc. We kicked ourselves to get started and have to decide on the window color by Tues after next. I'm still interested in what your rec would be for the panels / soffits if the windows were dark bronze.

Thanks!

• PRO
    PPF.
    hace 6 años

What material is below the windows? Stucco, wood?

• mikec171
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Those are just flat wood panels. We were thinking of painting those maybe the color of the windows, ditching the iron, and making a inset square out of trim to add some kind of depth.

• mikec171
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks for the mock up PPF! I can't say that I love the way that looks but really appreciate the visualization. Those squares are exactly what I was thinking myself. Do you mind showing what that would look like with the two colors I noted above?

Thanks,
    Mike

• mikec171
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Oh ha, I just read your response about ignoring the colors. I meant that I didn't love that color combo. But yeah, I agree, I think the squares like that is what we need to go with.

• PRO
    PPF.
    hace 6 años

I like the green as is, but understand you want a change.

I don't have a brick to match yours, so colors won't mean much.

Are you considering a grid pattern in the windows as you have now?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años
    The roof has fungus or mold stain and removing it is your first step. Do it before window replacement. It doesn't look in great shape, so a good inspection might avoid problems you aren't aware of now. Second, with your brick, I would definitely chose dark window color. Bronze/black would be good. I would paint soffit and trim the same bronze color. I would remove shutters before you clean roof and power wash brick once those things are done. The biggest design issue is the panels below the windows. If you leave them, I would paint then same color as trim and windows a dark color. Dark colors recede and that would be good. I have to think about any iron over those spots. Maybe a iron medallion in the center of the panel might work. I will see what I can come up with for you. Bbl
    mikec171 agradeció a Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años

Exterior · Más información
    Here is a brick similar to yours and some nice below window detail. Also notice they used cedar shakes on this house. You could use cedar shakes below the windows and paint them the trim color. That would give some "texture" and yet not be metal/iron.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años

I would also trim or remove some of the trees around your house. The shade over the roof is promoting that black growth on your shingles and that stuff damages this type roofing. Also, roots can damage foundations as well, so removing some of those branches or whole trees that have gotten overgrown would help the look of your home a good deal.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años

Front Entrances · Más información
    If you don't want the dark bronze trim, a trim color like this gray/teal tone would look very nice with your brick. It would also look good with bronze windows.

• mikec171
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

PPF, Thanks. We like and are keeping the grid pattern as is in the windows.

Flo, Thanks for the response. Yes, I plan on spraying it with those mold/fungus removers and see if that can help. Another dark color vote! You guys are making this even harder. Looking around the neighborhood the only dark windows are people with a white or light gray painted brick not the darker red brick like ours. We never really considered it. Almost all red brick houses around here have white windows but we think that would be too stark especially with our deep soffits. Even though this isn't helping us decide between the canvas and sandtone (haha), I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años

Dare to be different. The dark is a much better look with your brick. White shows dirt faster and it stains more and limits your other paint trim choices. Sometimes, on Houzz, you get a broader overall perspective and that is all good. Good luck on your choices.

• mikec171
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Flo, thanks and thanks for the pictures. I replied before I saw those. What's your take on keeping the green like PPF stated (obviously painting it) with darker windows. Still lose the shutters and Iron? My wife and I admit that we don't mind the green as much as when we moved in but maybe we are just used to it.

• katinparadise
    hace 6 años

You can have the roof power washed. It makes an amazing difference. I like the dark bronze with panels, soffit, and trim all painted the same color. I would not replace the shutters-they are too small and there is not enough room to install properly some that are properly sized.

I would consider a 4 over 1 or a 6 over 1 window.

• emmarene9
    hace 6 años

Shutters off.

Scrolls off too but keep them just in case you miss them.

It looks like you have a band board. Brick houses often have white band boards. I know yours is a different style but here is an example.

I am not for or against it, just giving you something to think about.

mikec171 agradeció a emmarene9
  • PRO
    PPF.
    hace 6 años

I like the green windows.

• mikec171
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks Emmarene for the visualization. We need to peek behind those shutters to see if the brick is discolored. I'm sure they've been there since 1963 when the house was built. And, we do have some significant trim between the soffit/facia/band boards. Here's a pic of the "porch"ceiling. Obviously, this needs to be cleaned and painted. One of my concerns is that if we do black windows or dark bronze, that's a lot of dark trim up top.

I'm actually thinking perhaps about a sandtone frame with the canvas windows and maybe maybe make the trim two colors with sandtone on the vertical facing boards and canvas (cream) in the ceiling / top / horizontal boards. The window would look something like this:

But I don't think we are going to do the shake. From what I've read, it's expensive to do correctly and has required maintenance. Other option would be doing the "two tone" window like above but keeping/refreshing the green bottom panel and green trim up top. I think they'd go together all right.

• Susan
    hace 6 años
    In the interest of expanding your choices ...
    One more vote for the bronze windows.
    Paint the wood panels a grey that blends with the roof, besides grey is terrific with red brick.
    Then landscape the heck out of the area between the sidewalk and the house. Keep the pretty little tree but get rid of the hulking shrub in the middle. Add lots of bright flowers, or white ones if you are more conservative.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    hace 6 años

But I don't think we are going to do the shake. From what I've read, it's expensive to do correctly and has required maintenance. Other option would be doing the "two tone" window like above but keeping/refreshing the green bottom panel and green trim up top. I think they'd go together all right.

Looks good. On the shakes, many options that are no more maintenance than any other siding.

I've used both of these, and while they do not look authentic, they are easy to install and maintain.

http://www.collinsco.com/truwood-collection/old-mill/

http://www.lpsmartside.com/products/cedarshakes/

• emmarene9
    hace 6 años

Even is the brick is a lighter color beneath the shutters it will still look better without them, IMO.

• PRO
    Renewal by Andersen
    hace 6 años

We're late to the conversation, but want to point out that we do have an app that can help you visualize what different window styles and colors will look like on your own home (since using your imagination is so difficult!). You can download it here: https://www.renewalbyandersen.com/get-inspired/mobile-app.aspx

mikec171 agradeció a Renewal by Andersen
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.