Houzz Logo Print
jphepfl

I'm in the process of building a hand hewn log cabin...

Jodie Meadowcroft
hace 6 años
And I would love to know the stain color/type. It's exactly what I'm looking for. Does anyone have any insight on this?
Beartooth Foothills · Más información

Comentarios (4)

• PRO
    Montana Reclaimed Lumber Co.
    hace 6 años

Hello, This is the natural color of the hand hewn timbers. You could achieve similar color tones with a brown stain or glaze. Hopefully this helps.

Thanks and have a nice weekend,

MRL

• northface99
    hace 6 años

Well, we have hand hewn log cabins from the 1700s and the wood that has been messed with looks much worse than the natural logs. The exterior (untouched) logs weathered to a beautiful grey and the original-ish, or at least what is left of the least damaged interior logs were covered with white wash which is just a thin mixture of hydrated lime mixed with water, I think. Very beautiful.

The dark stained walls turned a nasty dark brown and the varnished walls a bilious yellow.

My opinion is that your logs would look better left alone, or washed with a thin coating of milk paint or plaster. Hand hewn logs are so beautiful there is no need for stain.

However, you have probably already done whatever your plan is!

Pics?

Cheers,

Northface

• Jodie Meadowcroft
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    So far I have left them alone. This is a work in progress. How long does it take for the logs to "weather" into that beautiful gray?
  • northface99
    hace 6 años

Well, good question about the grey. What kind of wood do you have? Looks like pine to me, i.e. "knotty pine" on account of the many dark areas that appear to be left from where branches were. Our logs are oak, with no visible marks from branches. Maybe cedar? Cedar can also have branch marks. Had your the logs been left out in the sun, I would say a season, however inside I don't know. You may have to stain them after all. I say live with them as is for a while - you can always stain later. Also remember that dark colors make the house darker inside - maybe that doesn't matter to you.

Thanks for the pics!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.