Houzz Logo Print
reddy_vignatha

Living room too dark?

Vig
hace 6 años

Help! I think my living room is too dark and gloomy. We have a decent amount of natural light from the bay window, but as the property is terraced and open plan, we don't have much natural light in the middle of the property. Is there anything I can do to lift up the room decor wise? Any advice appreciated!

Comentarios (12)

• A S
    hace 6 años
    Hi,

In my non-expert opinion, I think the two main factors which seemingly make the room look darker are
    1. the wall colour
    2. the window dressing

The grey is making the room feel more enclosed and dark, I'd consider a more lighter, airy colour to lift the space to make it seem brighter.
    If budget allows, I'd consider recessed LED strips across the ceiling which can subtly, yet effectively, produce artificial light to create a brighter space.

My second point was regards to window dressing...it is blocking the light from entering the room. Is your property overlooked, maybe blinds or a more transparent net curtain could help allow more light to enter the room. I'd also change the curtains to a lighter colour.

The plant, albeit not a major factor is also blocking some (little amount) light from entering so I'd Consider moving that too if possible.

I'm sure the experts would be able to shed better help.

Good Luck
    Vig agradeció a A S
  • Vig
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks for your responses! The room faces south west. I agree about the rug. I can move it elsewhere and get a different one. Same with the dark curtains. I can use them elsewhere. Changing the paint colour will be a harder sell as we just had the house renovated and painted. Partner is not at all keen :-D

What colours would you recommend? I would like to maintain some contrast with the fireplace and built-ins.

• Juliet Docherty
    hace 6 años

Do you know what colour the paint is?

• Vig
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Yes, we used Dulux Polished Pebble (Matt) throughout the house.

• Juliet Docherty
    hace 6 años

I would think about a working palette for the room that incorporates all materials including painted walls. One thing all of the images have in common below is a balance of colour temperature and tone. Something like a ginger/cognac colour as an accent could really help your scheme (see throw in image two). Cool pale greys seem to work best when teamed with warm natural materials and crucially some dark too. I would add lighter tones with large pale rug, pale natural linen curtains and then cushions in a deep ochre/cognac colour. If this works you could then add more tone on the wall behind sofa/shelves with a much darker charcoal colour. :)

Yachtvägen 17, ENKÖPING · Más información

Yachtvägen 17, ENKÖPING · Más información

Brush Prairie House · Más información

Frödingsvägen · Más información

Vig agradeció a Juliet Docherty
  • Carolina
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

I agree with colourhappy that a lighter coloured rug will help a lot. And as she and A.S. mentioned, the net curtains. Also the dark curtains aren't ideal.

Do add lights in or on the book shelves. I've put some brighter colours and venetian blinds (these are shutters I think) in your living room, see what you think. Glass table will reflect light too. Also added a floor lamp.

Of course a berber type rug will work too.

Vig agradeció a Carolina
  • Juliet Docherty
    hace 6 años

Totally agree about the blinds.

• PRO
    Bathroom + Kitchen Eleven
    hace 6 años

Hi

Beautiful room. Minor changes needed - I think the wall colour is fine.

• To introduce light you could use white shutters - the white will allow the light to bounce through the room while maintaining privacy.

• Add a light rug - don't be afraid to add colour!

• Change the ottoman to a lighter colour (if budget allows!)

• Put a large mirror behind the sofa - this will also bounce light around the room

• Add lamps on the shelves either side of your fire place.

Window

Ottoman

https://www.laresidenceinteriors.co.uk/products/upholstered-petit-royal-ottoman-coffee-table-dove-grey-linen

Mirror

http://www.decorativemirrorsonline.co.uk/mirrors/large-metal-framed-mirror.html

Good luck!

Shannon

Vig agradeció a Bathroom + Kitchen Eleven
  • A S
    hace 6 años
    Hi,

If painting the room isn't an option,maybe paint the window surround and alcoves in a brilliant white or a lighter grey to help brighten up the darker spaces and creating an illusion of light.

The above mockup cleverly shows the use of bright colours instantaneously brightening up the room.

Good Luck
  • PRO
    Rise Art
    hace 6 años

Hey, how about some bright artworks to add some colour? We have a huge range available. Here are just some examples:

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

I agree with previous ideas. Rug is too dark for room. I would go with beige, light gray or neutral light colour for rug.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.