Houzz Logo Print
kari_lillard

Getting ready to sell my first townhouse- lots of work went into this!

Kari Lillard
hace 10 años
We remodeled every square inch of this place. It was a disaster. I'd love to hear feedback (first timer- so be nice!)

Comentarios (41)

• Brenda
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    good job. how long did you live there?
  • PRO
    Teresa Story-Turner, Realtor at RE/MAX Unlimited
    hace 10 años
    This remodel looks amazing! Wall color you chose compliments the cabinetry, you purchased in demand "stainless" steel appliances which will help your resale value - in the event you decide to sell. I do see the ceiling fan, be sure to dust often wouldn't want dust to get in your food. Overall for a first timer looks like a pro :)
  • handymam
    hace 10 años
    Great job! Love the green!
  • Kari Lillard
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I lived here for 4 years. We did most of the renovations the one month before we moved in. It was stressful but fun! Thanks for the comments!
  • Christopher Desteli
    hace 10 años
    Kari, The place looks great. Congrats on the transformation.
  • Steph Mar
    hace 10 años
    What did the bulk head above the cabinets house? Our kitchen has bulk heads but I'm afraid they are covering duct work.
  • jefftb20
    hace 10 años
    I'm looking at a similar color paint in my kitchen. Name and brand of paint? Your home looks great!
  • Kari Lillard
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    it wasn't anything... @stphbern - we tore it down pretty quick- just looked like filler.
  • PRO
    Virtus Design
    hace 10 años
    Great job!
  • PRO
    Reico Kitchen & Bath
    hace 10 años
    Great choices on update. What does the refrigerator back up to? Good luck with the sell!
  • Kari Lillard
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    It is up against the wall- the hole into the living room is only a cut out for the breakfast bar.
  • PRO
    Kitchen Cabinet Kings
    hace 10 años
    Great job on the remodel - love the two tone cabinet design.
  • elcieg
    hace 10 años
    When you have your first open house, clear the counters of everything. And for the island, dress it up with a tray, etc.
  • PRO
    Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
    hace 10 años
    Like what you've done with the place and the comments are spot on!
  • alexnev
    hace 10 años
    You have done a really stylish job and you'll have great experience to take into your next home. The place comes together well so I think you don't have to change anything more with wall colours etc. People will change a green wall easily if it's not their thing. They'll still buy the home even if they don't like the wall colour. I thought it worked well in that space, even if the green colour was a little strong, it wouldn't put many people off. Couch was quite big for room size, but that's not too major. All the best!
  • laurazzz
    hace 10 años
    Great color scheme!
  • Jess Dixon
    hace 10 años
    love it - such a great job! What is the art over the bed? It's very pretty.
  • Kari Lillard
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Local Artist Jason Gaviria- I LOVE his art. It's for sale- he lets me keep it at my house and I get it put at different venues for him.
  • hazeldazel
    hace 10 años
    Actually, people won't buy a house if they don't like the wall color. It's really weird because hey, it's just paint and it's so easy but I've seen it so often that they just get put off by it. They just see a color they don't like and they get focused on that and don't see all the wonderful things a property has to offer. Then it's "ugh the green kitchen house." I don't why it happens but it happens. And you want tons of people to be interested and make an offer and hopefully have a bidding war so you get the best price, right?

Toward that end, also remove the two large paintings by Jason Gaviria because 1) they are large. They will make the two room feel smaller. Keep in mind that at an Open House you might have 30 people at one time milling around your home. It's going to feel cramped already. 2) they are rather distinctive and may not appeal to everyone's taste. You want to appeal to every potential buyer's taste. There will be older, very conservative buyers at your showings and Open House who will be going "what is THAT?" instead of looking at how marvelous your house is (and it really is). You don't want a potential buyer going "ugh the weird painting house".

Remember the decorating for living there is different than for decorating for selling.
  • PRO
    Lexie Longstreet
    hace 10 años
    As a real estate agent that deals with young buyers I have to disagree with the comments above to paint your kitchen and bath a "neutral". I think the colors you have are fresh and most buyers will love them. They are in smaller rooms...and give your place personality. As long as the pictures in MLS and on websites don't look garish and like a box of crayons when people scroll thru, you will be fine. In some of our hip hoods, colors make a place sell! And beige is considered boring... and no one wants it. I think you need to ask your real estate agent what buyers in your neighborhood are looking for. Remember... Real Estate is LOCAL.
  • prince55
    hace 10 años
    I bought a house that had colors we hated.... most people realize that is an easy fix....it's when you have really crazy colored carpet and an odd wall color combo that you have to worry....
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    hace 10 años
    I think the green kitchen is beautiful and very current; buyers will like this. However the black "accent" wall in the bedroom would be a big problem for me; it has all kinds of negative connotations. I also don't like accent walls in general.
  • hammerhugger
    hace 10 años
    I actually love the colors and love the painting above the bed. I realize that not all older people like this sort of thing (I'm 72) but geez, you can't please everyone! I think you did an amazing job!
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    hace 10 años
    Fantastic job Kari; I wouldn't change a thing.
  • Vikki
    hace 10 años
    Keep the green...it's awesome and fresh. People will love the hardwood floors. The living room furniture is way to big for the room and so I agree...put the living room on a diet! lol and add a nice mirror to make the room look even larger. I like the bedroom and respond favorably to the black wall but keep this in mind...if a person doesn't, their first thought is...how many coats of paint is it going to take to cover the black...so maybe you want to bring the black down to at least a medium shade color. I'd keep the art..people know they aren't buying the art and it fills the wall up nicely. YOu guys did a nice job...congrats! Good luck selling!
  • sunnie2day
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    What a transformation! The colours you have chosen do seem to work especially the greenish in the kitchen. I love that you were able to save the floor coverings in the kitchen and bath but changed that er, blue? in the bedroom. What a great looking place you created!

Re selling your home on, most people usually want a house they can move right into-they don't want to have to paint or change floor covering right away. So checking with your agent is the best advice you're going to hear.

Yes, the accent wall may seem strong to some of us but as Lexie Longstreet points out, younger buyers in a lot of markets (urban and metro especially) do want those bolder, stronger colours. Only your agent knows what's selling in your area. "Location-Location-Location" really means 'What are people looking for where you're trying to sell a home':

For example, we just sold our house. We live in a small Scottish market town, and unsure of how to prep the house for a fast sale, we had the estate agent in BEFORE we even listed it to give us an idea of what changes we might need to make.

In our area, according to our estate agent, buyers in our area wanted a near-blank canvas they could move right into without having to make a lot of changes first thing to make the house liveable. They preferred the basics and didn't want special, extra-fancy features. (So glad we hadn't splashed out on the very fancy shower-and-steam room!) We painted all the walls white and put in a lightish grey carpet everywhere but the bath, kitchen, and tiny mudroom. That was it, the total of the changes our agent thought we should make.

The house was on the market for 3 weeks in an area where most homes are listed for over 12 months before an offer is made.

A good agent knows what sells in their market, it's their job.
  • decoratinglady5
    hace 10 años
    I like the green and the work you put into it!! I would suggest going a neutral because your selling.Good friends of mine put so much work into painting their home the modern colours..it did not help.It was on the market for a long time.They took it off the market,decided to paint a neutral colour called Hush,in one week the home sold.It may not have been the changing the paint,but the comments spoke so much from the people,like its so fresh and airy and we can move right in.Just my two cents from their experience.Good luck!!!
  • catscats
    hace 10 años
    This is a fabulous transformation. It now looks so modern and clean. I don't think the paint colour really effects the sale of the house unless it is a very dark colour like black or dark blue. Your green colour looks very nice and fresh. I wouldn't change a thing. After all, you bought the place when it looked like a mess. You had the creativity to see the potencial. Good luck and the right people will come along and love it.
  • Karin S.
    hace 10 años
    I like the color of both kitchen and bathroom! I think many potential buyers will too! But the sofa Looks really bit oversized for the room. But maybe its just the perspectiv of the picture... All in all Great Job! Good Luck!
  • PRO
    Showcase Gardens
    hace 10 años
    Love the tile work in the bathroom. What a cool way to give white tile a personality!
  • Catherine Ferrer
    hace 10 años
    How did you create the shower look? Are those tiles or some sort of wall panel? Love everything!
  • Deborah Page
    hace 10 años
    The tub reformation looks wonderful! How did you accomplish it?
  • PRO
    User
    hace 10 años
    Great redesign, love that small kitchen island - great use of space!
  • Kari Lillard
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    We just used the shower wall units at lowes and caulked. Super easy!
  • Deborah Page
    hace 10 años
    Forgot to tell you that,....Everything looks great!
  • Deborah Page
    hace 10 años
    Did you take out the old tub? My old bathroom looks amazingly similar to your before picture! My husband thinks it would be to hard to remove the old tub. Is it difficult?
  • hazeldazel
    hace 10 años
    @Deborah Page: Taking out a tub is usually very expensive to replace because all of the plumbing underneath so it's a lot of labor for a plumber to do.
  • hellotara
    hace 10 años
    I love the green coffee table! Where did you find that? What color did you use to paint it? Spray paint?
  • mamadubbs
    hace 10 años
    When we sold our home a couple months ago, I fully expected to repaint the whole house beige before listing. To my surprise, our Realtor really liked our color scheme and recommended we only paint 2 rooms.

You did a great job remodeling and should be proud!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.