Houzz Logo Print
webuser_494514

Tiny sloped closets

Sarah D-Potter
hace 10 años
Each bedroom has two tiny "walk in" closets with sloped ceilings. Any idea on how to organize this type of space?

Comentarios (37)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    hace 10 años
    horizontal shelving while providing clearance for headroom.
  • selky1
    hace 10 años
    I've been looking into it too- I have two small closets w/ sloping ceilings (not walkins). I did find some honeycomb shaped wire mesh baskets (that used to be made, but I can't find them to buy) that seems like an idea (for filling the flat triangular wall). Let me know what you find. I have a small Pier1 hutch that has six wooden cubes (half with drawers, half with little cubbies and doors), but they don't sell it anymore either- it was customizable- you could stack the cubes any which way. Lastly, if it would fit, Ikea makes a Trofast thing with diagonal storage.
  • studio10001
    hace 10 años
    Units will take up more valuable space; perhaps you could install bracket held shelves directly to the wall, instead?
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    hace 10 años
    I saw these....if it was on wheels it would make it easier to get to things.
    Modern Staircase · Más información
    These are by Twin cities Closet
    Gift Wrapping Closet · Más información
  • suzanne_m
    hace 10 años
    What would you like to keep in this closet? shoes? folded clothes? hanged clothes?
  • Sarah D-Potter
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    These are all great ideas, thanks! We are headed to Menards, Home Depot, and Lowes this weekend. It sounds like Ikea might be an option too.
  • Sarah D-Potter
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Suzanne, these are bedroom closets. Both upper bedrooms have two of these odd shaped closets and they are the only bedrooms in the house. Teenage daughter and myself and husband. They will hold usual items (clothing/shoes/misc)
  • suzanne_m
    hace 10 años
    Thank you Sarah, I was just asking because it seems that others were not considering solution for hanging clothes and I thought that maybe you would like us to offer ideas for hanging clothes as well.
  • PRO
    Cannery Village Casegoods
    hace 10 años
    I'm not sure about the entrance to the closet but you do have options. For instance, you could build in triangular upper shelving with a rolling box or drawer underneath. Shown here in a similar whole attic renovation, we lined the room on both sides with an 16' run of bi-folding doors. A bed was made to roll under the built-in shelving so that it could completely open up the space when necessary. I hope this gives you some ideas.
  • Sarah D-Potter
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I appreciate that! Hanging is necessary, though I think these closets are going to be interesting to work with. We have about 6 weeks to figure it out before we move our things in.
  • Sarah D-Potter
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    The entry is low clearance - and that sounds interesting and doable. If we lined the low wall with something similar and put a hanging system on the opposite wall it could possibly work? Did you make the shelving yourself?
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Low entrance right, and an unusual entry. Wow. May I ask the approximate width of the closet and door?

I did build these, for a vacation residence in Ireland.
  • studio10001
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    That could work, although you seem only to have enough height for seperates? You might wish to consider a free standing piece in addition to this area for longer garments. I urge you not to add doors within the existing interior. These spaces are tight, and it is the norm to store things in front of the shelving in such spaces, so access should be maintained.
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Yes I agree. No doors. Unless new openings are created in the main space. The right free standing piece could work nicely.
  • Sarah D-Potter
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    ha! at the Harry Potter reference, I'm used to it. And the door's are normal width doors but 5 foot height so 'duck' to enter. Husband literally crawls in! We bought an armoire for daughter to appease her situation. I'm hoping we can figure out how to use the closets somehow!
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    In any case clearance is key on this one and there are still some unknown variables in the layout. For instance the shape of the closet in plan. I'm assuming the 32"ish wide door is all the way to the right?
  • Sarah D-Potter
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Here is another shot of one of the closets, they are all slightly different!
  • Sarah D-Potter
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Door is dead center, and I didn't measure width, we are heading over there on Saturday so I'll be able to take measurements.
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Yep. I'm still seeing some kind of rolling box on the floor with some kind of built in shelving above. The top shelf in this case is tricky however.
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Dead center! I posted too soon.
  • Sarah D-Potter
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    When I get measurements I'll post back, if you think of anything clever-- please let me know!!
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    That is a tough one, but are you able then to get a unit on either side?
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Will do. Until next time.
  • tcufrog
    hace 10 años
    Those closets are useless. I would get rid of them and then put an IKEA closet on one wall. They are extremely customizable and can hold lots of stuff.
  • PRO
    Cambridge Closets
    hace 10 años
    I am not sure what you are looking to store in this closet, however, there are special brackets made for sloped ceilings that you can install directly to the slope to hold a shelf or a hanging rod. They are sold by Abrecht. Here is the link http://abrechtbracket.com/StorageBracket.html.
    Best of luck!
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    I hope I'm not speaking off topic, but I can't resist the opportunity to note that naturally lit dormers can add to a space in a spectacular way. My best suggestion would probably be to explore the possibility of including these small unusual spaces into the main attic space by removing the door and separation wall altogether…before considering storage. Admittedly this raises many questions and is mostly likely outside the scope of your interest but if it wasn't, I would like to encourage you to consider the challenges because solutions for these can make for great spaces to be in.
  • Sigrid
    hace 10 años
    You need to look at possible solutions on line, then measure, measure, measure. You really want to measure with a possible solution, like if you put up a rod here, how much space will there be under your husband's suits or your dresses? If you buy that system, will it fit and what do you need to measure in store if it is marginal?

I measured the width of a buffet and got it as a perfect fit for a space, but failed to notice that we have a chair rail (a quarter inch thick) and that the legs of the piece were slightly wider than the tope (another quarter inch or so).
  • Sarah D-Potter
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Cambridge-- I will look into those, thank you! and 1906, my husband just brought up taking out the wall and opening the space entirely so we're exploring that also, thank you!
  • PRO
    Cambridge Closets
    hace 10 años
    You are welcome! Good luck!
  • studio10001
    hace 10 años
    (Welcome, 1906!)
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    You are welcome Sarah. (Thanks studio 10001. Houzz seems fun!)
  • mimimarie55
    hace 10 años
    I have the same slanted wall under the roof in my master closet. I store all of my shoes under there on simple Closet Maid shelves from the hardware store, cut to custom fit. They attach to the floor and side wall, not the ceiling. It is a great use of tight space. Rest of closet is from the container store.
  • wmguy
    hace 10 años
    Best way to handle a sloped ceiling/closet is to put a drawer with wheels that slide all the way back for storage of seasonal items. (You cam buy pre-built containers but I built mine out of plywood which is more durable than any I found to purchase and it allows you to customize completely.
  • PRO
    Andrea Gary/Queen of Kerfuffle™
    hace 10 años
    I don't know if you saw my designs from a rescue I did on TV with sloped ceilings. You can see more on my Houzz projects. I've tried to attach before and after photos for you. Hope this might be helpful.
  • PRO
    Andrea Gary/Queen of Kerfuffle™
    hace 10 años
    If you are able to move the wall forward a bit you could create a nice walk-in.
  • Sarah D-Potter
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Sorry for the long delay! We still haven't been back to the house (LONG WEEK!) So I don't have measurements yet-- I've shown all the ideas and pictures to my husband so we can get at it within the next week or two! THANK YOU!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.