Houzz Logo Print
claremikesutton

Supporting wall in middle of bathroom - help!

Clare S
hace 6 años

I want to knock small rooms together to form a 4m x 1.7m bathroom but the space has a supporting wall half way along the length that stretches across half the width. The wall supports the end of a main purlin in the roof. I cannot substitute steel beams due to a sloping ceiling. Any ideas on how I could work this into my design to avoid the room looking even thinner? Perhaps substituting a post in the centre of the room? Or are there transparent materials that can form a supporting wall? Or simply use it as a mirrored feature wall? Thanks for any helpful ideas!

Comentarios (6)

• Najeebah
    hace 6 años
    Finding a substitute, if you could, would be rather expensive.
    Half the width colloquially, or half as in approximately 850mm? (to understand what this would look like)
    Rather try to make it look part of the design, toilet on one side, or shower as Man About the House suggested
    We might be able to come up with such layout options for you. What restrictions do you have? Windows, doors, the walls fixtures must be on? Send a floor plan, just a sketch will do
  • Chris Goodchild
    hace 6 años

As already mentioned, it sounds as though it will be the position to place a toilet , shower or bath.

• Clare S
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

It has a loo on one side and needs circulation space on the other side. I like the suggestion about making it look like an intentional bathroom feature. Perhaps two supporting posts with some towel shelves between the two? My structural engineer will be visiting but I wanted some ideas to fly past him before he starts his calculations.

• Najeebah
    hace 6 años
    Yes you can put in niches for storage. that would look good. you may need to widen the wall for that. Can you share a plan?
  • PRO
    &INK Design
    hace 6 años

Hi Claire,

There are such things as "structural" glass blocks- i.e. glass blocks that can take load. It may be feasible to use these for at least part of the wall, reducing the depth of the solid element to make any niches an acceptable shelf/ cupboard depth. Otherwise you will lose half the width, which sounds a bit much. Talk to your engineer about how much you could substitute. Best of luck! Barbara

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.