Houzz Logo Print
isidora_markovic90

At what age should children start doing their own laundry?

Isidora Markovic
hace 6 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

At what age were you required to do your own washing, and did this correspond with the age you that you expected your children to take on the full responsibility of doing theirs?

Modern Country no.7 · Más información

I've heard the occasional case of children who have moved out visiting their parents just to have their laundry done for them!

Would this not fly with you, or would you be happy to do your children's laundry no matter their age? Share all thoughts below!

As a teenager
Once they've left for university
When they've flown the nest for good
Other - comment!

Comentarios (9)

• annarocks123
    hace 6 años
    I started doing my own laundry at about 14 as I had come to the conclusion that the best way to have the top/skirt/trousers that I HAD to wear at the weekend, clean and ready to go was to wash it myself. When I went to uni and meet people, mostly boys, who had never done their own laundry and had no clue how to do their own laundry I wad horrified. Surely the point of parenting is to raise adults; doing everything for children until they leave home is not raising them to be adults, you are leaving them to be raised by whichever actual adult is kind enough to do the job you couldn't be bothered to.
  • PRO
    DIY Kitchens
    hace 6 años

I would say if the child can cook safely then a washing machine should be introduced to them very soon afterwards:-)

• ash4711
    hace 6 años

When I was living at home we had no washing machine and Mum did everything for me. Probably because I was young and thoughtless it didn't occur to me to do my own washing and ironing. That changed when I said my blouse wasn't ironed how I liked it, so Mum said do it yourself then. That was my first big wake up call and I'm quite ashamed of how I was back then.

Probably because my only child was a boy I did his laundry till he left home at 18, he did nothing, no cooking DIY or anything, but he has turned into a very practical man who can do anything, a lot like his mother!

Washing back then was a chore, mostly done by hand, but kids today opening the door of a washing machine and stuffing clothes in is no big deal, and no one seems to iron anything any more. Children need to learn to cook, that is most important thing parents can teach their kids.

• PRO
    Saku Design Studio
    hace 6 años
    I started doing my laundry at 10 coz I had clothes that I deemed "too special" to send to the school laundry. I think it is important to teach children at an early age so that they don't feel like it's a bother when they're older and fail to take care of themselves. I was also horrified when I got to high school and a lot of the girls there didn't know how to wash their clothes. I actually taught a few the basics.
  • Ola Hill
    hace 6 años
    My daughter is 10 and has started doing all the family's laundry for me because I've been injured. She gathers all the laundry, sorts it, washes and dries everything. I think it's going to be her permanent responsibility, right along with unloading the dishwasher every morning. I started doing my own laundry when I was 10 because I was in boarding school and had no choice. I can't comprehend high school kids who don't know how to use a washing machine. It's really not that hard.
  • PRO
    Hampshire Design Consultancy Ltd.
    hace 6 años
    One of my children learnt how to use the washing machine and sort laundry before he went to secondary school, he thought it was a novalty, my daughter learnt how to read care labels at about 14 to put into tumble drying, and my other son does sort the laundry and put it on and tumble dry, but they all pretend they don't know how to....lol! My husband knows the least about how to put the washing on but he is a domestic angel in every other way, so he is let off.
  • Lena
    hace 6 años
    My 12-years old's chore is to unload the dishes (he would rather forget about that, so he is constantly reminded). I'd love him to do his own laundry, but we are not there yet
  • lisa77226
    hace 6 años
    At 10 years old or sooner. If you wait until they're older you'll get back chat. If they've always known how to do it there is no excuse when you need them to start taking more responsibility for themselves. At 10 I could not only do laundry, but I could make basic evening meals. By 14 I could keep a whole house including managing my first bank account when I started working after school. I also recall speaking to a utility company to sort an issue on my mothers behalf at her request (not something that could happen now) because she was working. Why wait to teach your kids these things? They'll take in what they can but constant exposure will fill in gaps as they mature.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.