Houzz Logo Print
mandiinny

Damaged quartz counter discovered after installation

M & I M & I
hace 6 años

We had about 35 sq/ft of MSI quartz installed as our kitchen counter as part of a full renovation. Once the counter was installed, the contractor covered it with paper to protect it during back-splash installation, painting, etc.

We discovered a defect in the stone once the paper was removed. It looks like a manufacturer issue, not a fabrication issue- but the fabricator should have inspected the stone before installing it. We're frustrated even though the gouge is somewhat small - a glaring imperfection in an otherwise great kitchen.

What are my options? I don't want to damage the counters, the tile, or risk the floors and cabinets. Is there a way to fix the stone? What would you ask for in terms of compensation?

Thanks for the advice

Comentarios (8)

• acm
    hace 6 años

Is that a gouge? from your photo, it looks like a raised bit, where the inclusion is a bit above the surface. Either way, the fabricator should be able to come to your home and either buff it down or fill it in and then make the surface smooth. I'd ask for that.

• M & I M & I
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

acm- thank you. I believe it's a gouge below the surface that looks like they tried to fill it in- that's why it may look like it's raised. i appreciate your advice.

• PRO
    I.Q. Granite & Flooring
    hace 6 años
    Dear home owner,

Quartz is a poured man made product and it sometimes has small flaws. Quartz manufacturers actually put a clear plastic film to cover the slabs theme selves for shipping. I am assuming it's the Q from MSI brand. When fabricators start the fabrication process it's left on to protect it from scratching during the fabrication & installation process. Once it's removed there is where you'll notice the tiny flaws unfortunately. Here in Houston, TX MSI does not warrant any stone once cut & fabricated. I wouldn't assume MSI has he same policy in place nation wide. The only thing that can be done is filled with a manufacturer suggested adhesive and top polished. Please hire a stone professional who's certified in working with quartz, top polishing quartz is not an easy task.
    M & I M & I agradeció a I.Q. Granite & Flooring
  • M & I M & I
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Very helpful comments, IQ and Guru. I'll keep you posted as to what happens. Thank you.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 6 años

I like granite guru's superglue trick and would try that first. The only problem may be that the gouge isn't deep enough to keep the adhesive stuck. If that's the case, I'd use Fillchip's new kit with the diamond burr, make the gouge bigger, fill it with color match and polish. Watch out for getting the Fillachip adhesive shinier than the material; you have to knock it back down to match sometimes. After all, they make it for granite and estone isn't as shiny. You will always be able to find it, but your home buyer's home inspector never will.

M & I M & I agradeció a Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • M & I M & I
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

The fabricator came out and applied some sort of two-part epoxy. He leveled it out with a razor blade and it feels perfect. I'm not thrilled with the look, but it's minor and we got a discount. Thanks to all on the forum for your advice.

• leelee
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

I don't mean to sound harsh but get over it. You did spend a large amount of money on the whole kitchen but unless your kitchen is nothing more than a showplace there are many dings and spills and things that will occur. Luckily, they will all blend in and form a nice patina.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.