Houzz Logo Print
livinbarcelona

HELP - contractor totalled quote incorrectly, now says owe +10,000

livinbarcelona
hace 6 años

HELP HELP - contractor added the original and mid work quotes incorrectly. He forgot to carry over the figure onto page 2. So now the work has been completed, he now says I MUST pay him an additional 10,000 (so 50k, not 40k for the refurbishment of a 55 sq mtr open plan apartment (excluding floors and kitchen)

The work is excellent, and the work has been completed, but I had asked for monthly updates to review the budget, and continually he said that the budget was totalled circa 40k)

Do I really have to pay the 10,000? I have since gone through the new invoice with a fine tooth comb, and reduced it somewhat, but it is still 9,000 more to pay. He said he could offer a payment plan over eight months, but I have not agreed or signed confirming this.

Please advise.

This is in SPAIN.

Comentarios (5)

• PRO
    Cruca Interiorismo
    hace 6 años
    It all depends on what you sign on the contract.
  • livinbarcelona
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

@Cruca : Thank you for responding

We both signed the original AND a mid-renovations updated contract, and both totalled 40.000.

However, at the very end, he recognised an error on the final total, and explained that if I add up all the individual items, it totals 50.000.

I understand, but he knew my budget was 40.000, and now because the work is finished, I can't even remove or reduce any of the work.

It just seems unfair, because everyone could say that all the time. I trusted my builder, and as it was a printed document, I assumed all his calculations were correct!

• PRO
    Cruca Interiorismo
    hace 6 años
    Hello again. If the sum of the items he budgeted for is the amount he asks you, and it was really a mistake, I think you should pay. It's very important to review the budget. If you think he/she did it to get you as a client, then it's different for me. I don't know if it's also different for the law. I recommend you to check everything with a lawyer. These issues are complicated and depend on many factors difficult to explain by this means.
    Sorry for my English. It's a long time I don't write in your languaje.

Cruca Interiorismo
    livinbarcelona agradeció a Cruca Interiorismo
  • livinbarcelona
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Your English is perfect...and yes I fully understand you.

It was a mistake (I think) but it was a mistake each time we reviewed the budget. It was so important for me to stay within the budget of 40,000. The mistake was also on the original presupuesto before he started the work and there are many items I would not have included if I knew it was over budget. So disappointing to end this way because the overall work is beautiful. I will speak to a lawyer this week - thank you so much for your time and help. Have a lovely week. :)

• PRO
    Cruca Interiorismo
    hace 6 años
    I understand you perfectly. We recently worked with a contractor who did the same to us. The budget started at 13,000 and ended at 22,000. It was horrible. Fortunately the customer was trustworthy and understood, but we had a terrible time. We learned many things from that reform, among other things, that the budget needs to be revised thoroughly.

Good luck and, if you think it's convenient, when you finish you tell us what it was all about.

Cruca Interiorismo
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.