Houzz Logo Print
jschlemm

Curb Appeal

jschlemm
hace 6 años
Looking at possibly purchasing this home. It is on 2.5 acres surrounded by cornfields. Having a hard time envisioning this not feeling so desolate. Any suggestions how to increase curb appeal?

Comentarios (15)

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    hace 6 años

This is a job for a landscape crew.............

aside from that, painting the front door, and shutters, adding porch furniture

also the tree foliage will help too...

jschlemm agradeció a RL Relocation LLC
  • apple_pie_order
    hace 6 años

Many red roses and a cottage garden out front.

Country Farm House · Más información

Southampton beach house · Más información

jschlemm agradeció a apple_pie_order
  • della70
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Yes! Landscape designer needed. If you make the investment, it will add to the value of the property. Get a professional.

jschlemm agradeció a della70
  • yvonnecmartin
    hace 6 años

How long do you think it will be surrounded by cornfields? Any notion of other housing going up?

jschlemm agradeció a yvonnecmartin
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    hace 6 años

fence the property.

jschlemm agradeció a RL Relocation LLC
  • jschlemm
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thank you everyone! That is what we were thinking is some serious professional landscape help! Porch decor, furniture, etc. will also help to add character and interest. @yvonnecmartin I understand that there are no plans to sell the farmland next to the home. Why do you ask?

• yvonnecmartin
    hace 6 años

I ask because one risk of purchasing next to a corn-field, at least in the Chicago area, is that a development of lower priced houses or condos might spring up. A rule of thumb is if you buy something for the view or location, be sure that you control the view or location.

I agree that it is a lovely house and great surrounding. Landscaping will help.

jschlemm agradeció a yvonnecmartin
  • jschlemm
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Understood! My parents live in the Chicago area and that is a valid concern. We are in a very RURAL area, town of 6,000 so condos, subdivisions, etc. are not a major concern at this time in this location. I am just doing research on chemicals from the cornfields because we have children and that makes me a little apprehensive. Thank you!

• Porter Edun
    hace 6 años

Ferns hanging all around the over hang of the porch for now will give it a beautiful presence and rocking chairs lined up down the front of the porch same color as the shutters... it's a start!

jschlemm agradeció a Porter Edun
  • Elizabeth Wince
    hace 6 años

Lovely home and land! The porch to me is a second living space and yours has so much potential!

I would begin by painting your shutters jet black. You could also paint your door a bright color; marigold yellow, cherry red, forest green or indigo.

You could then could add potted shaped boxwood to either side of the door. Or you might consider large planters full of different plants to stand by the either side of the door. Make sure the planters are a basic color maybe slate or black.

You could put a cushion chair to right of the door angled to the right. Then you could put a large wide wooden swing on the right side of porch. Perhaps add two black simple wooden rockers closer to the left of the door facing each other. A outdoor table with chairs on the far left side of the porch. I would add outdoor rugs that are woven brown plain under the swing and table. I would have your cushions be a neautral color and pillows could be neutrals or could be bright and match the front door.

I would also change up your lights to maybe farm house lights maybe a couple in between the windows. And/Or a large chandelier at the entrance. You could add a simple fan above the table and chairs on the left side of the porch.

When looking at the grounds I would talk to a landscaper. But it would look great with some hydrangeas bushes in the front. Good luck!!

jschlemm agradeció a Elizabeth Wince
  • gtcircus
    hace 6 años
    Here you go, obviously you would need feedback on your landscape needs but hopefully it helps with visualization.
  • dyliane
    hace 6 años

landscaping

jschlemm agradeció a dyliane
  • PRO
    McNICHOLS CO.
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

The addition of Wire Mesh panels could provide that rustic, homey feel. We offer an extensive selection of McNICHOLS® Wire Mesh online. You can find some of our favorite looks in our Wire Mesh Ideabook. We would be glad to answer any questions about the product.

Cartwright Road · Más información

jschlemm agradeció a McNICHOLS CO.
  • Carol Singletary
    hace 6 años
    This is a lovely home. I hope your area has zoning laws outside of city limits. We bought a home in the country, looking for peace and quiet. Our neighbor bought the land behind us and turned the filed into a corn maze. That means we now have what is basically an amusement park as our neighbor. No zoning laws were violated and we have no recourse.

Not to be pessimistic, just sharing my painful experience.
    jschlemm agradeció a Carol Singletary
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.